Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #76
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
Donnie, first of all I would like to appologize for not being able to help you with those cats back when we talked about it, my schedule has been - - - fucked up, no nicer way to put it.

Chain and sprockets - I went with these guys when I re-chained the 950, their "kit" prices were decent - http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/...r-s-05-13.html

The kit I bought had a Stealth rear sprocket but it doesn't look like they offer that now? So far the gold DID chain has been really good, very little stretching etc., it proved to be a good choice. cpmodem had given that particular chain high regards which kind of tilted my choice a bit, I've always said if cp says it works it's a safe bet.

Mileage - I don't know if you remember Hawk or not but at this point he's got well over 100K on his 950 and is still beating the guts out of it.

I sure have missed getting to see you, maybe if you swing back through the southeast sometime this year we can get together.

The only other wisdom I can offer is that it's good that you have spent so much time in Mexico on a KLR and a BMW, the scenery will go by much faster on a KTM!

Have a good safe ride my friend, can't wait for the pics.

No problem about the cats! I buy a lot of tires from Rocky Mountain ATV and saw their Lexx House Brand cans on their website for $399 delivered. For some reason, I clicked on Amazon.com one day and bought them delivered for $287! I really like the pipes, barely louder than stock, a few pounds lighter and the main reason, which is why I bought them, much much less heat! I can't tell you how many times I had burned my hand putting the moto on the center stand immediately after stopping, plus much safe for passengers. I have had other motos with cats, but none were as hot as these!

I already have the chain and sprockets. I purchased the DID ZVM-X 525 Super Street Series Chain and JT sprockets. Way more expensive that a FD bearing and seal for the GS!

Unless something changes, I should start accumulating mileage pretty rapidly. The trip I start in a less than two weeks will add 7,000 plus to the odometer. Crap! I hope that I didn't just offend the two boys from Colorado!

I passed fairly close to you recently. I delivered a KLX250S I sold to a friend in north Georgia (south of Chattanooga) on the way to pick up a 7X14 cargo trailer in south Georgia. Stop in if you come through north Mississippi!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #77
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,790
There is no way you can use the same pump for carbs and FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Fuel pump still worries me. Where to source an inexpensive one that is reliable and does it fit both 950 and 990.....
the 950 and we mean carbed lc8 needs much lower pressure and has no room for a plunge fp. A regulator could resolve the pressure difference problem, combined with a return line and a way to sink the pump in fuel in order to cool it. I believe the Dr Bean mod on the original fp is a fairly reliable solution. If your life depends on this, a new fp with DrBean's mod and a small milliage to make sure of its longevity would suffice.

the 990 will need a replacement fp to carry with you, with a filter set to change when needed. The fuel filters are not heavy to pick them up along the way, posted to your hotel. The pump could be squeezed in your luggage. Should run reliably for who knows how long. After that be prepared to replace on the road. Not too difficult but keeping the filters clean should lengthen fp longevity.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #78
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
the 950 and we mean carbed lc8 needs much lower pressure and has no room for a plunge fp. A regulator could resolve the pressure difference problem, combined with a return line and a way to sink the pump in fuel in order to cool it. I believe the Dr Bean mod on the original fp is a fairly reliable solution. If your life depends on this, a new fp with DrBean's mod and a small milliage to make sure of its longevity would suffice.

the 990 will need a replacement fp to carry with you, with a filter set to change when needed. The fuel filters are not heavy to pick them up along the way, posted to your hotel. The pump could be squeezed in your luggage. Should run reliably for who knows how long. After that be prepared to replace on the road. Not too difficult but keeping the filters clean should lengthen fp longevity.
Cheers.

I am leaving in 11 days and won't have time to receive spares before I leave, but will definitely order when I return. Hopefully, with only 20,3?? miles, I won't have a problem on this trip. If I do, they can fix anything in Mexico, it may never be the same, but it will run!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #79
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Yeah, I'm heading out as well. Not as epic as your trip.

Same problem though..

Thanks Gefr for excellent information.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #80
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Cheers.

Just curious. Is there any reason that the KTM gas filter will stop up or cause a problem any more than the fuel filter that was in my R1100GS? I know that the R1100GScontinuouslyyrecirculatedd its fuel while I understand the KTM does not. I always carried a spare fuel filter with me on that moto, even though it was usually the filter I had most recently removed as part of regular maintenance on that moto.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #81
gefr
Life is a trip

I can't answer that question.

I never owned any other injected bike. There is the system CJdesign sells which changes the flow of the fp for some seconds, just when you turn the bike off. This is supposed to help some. I haven't tried it. I concentrated on a cheap solution on KTM's logic.
I can only speculate the injectors KTM uses are more delicate, but could be completely wrong.
Cheers.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #82
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Just curious. Is there any reason that the KTM gas filter will stop up or cause a problem any more than the fuel filter that was in my R1100GS? I know that the R1100GScontinuouslyyrecirculatedd its fuel while I understand the KTM does not. I always carried a spare fuel filter with me on that moto, even though it was usually the filter I had most recently removed as part of regular maintenance on that moto.
The R-GS uses a traditional large barrel-shape filter, the KTM uses a teabag construction. I think Mattinghofen went a bit anal with filtering and produced a conservative but easily clogged design.
I'm not sure if KTM recirculates fuel or not, but if it doesn't, as you say, then that could explain pump overheating failures.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #83
Trail bandit
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
The sprockets still look good and I have not had to adjust the chain since I bought the moto, but when I measure the links the way my Manuel says, they are at the maximum length; .
Mines at 271mm. 24,000 miles. Seems this means I'm running original chain. It has a masterlink, would have thought rivited in original form?

267.7mm? should be a brand new chain measurement. I converted from an imperial thread.

Cluth retorque..... Just noticed mine sounds like a bunch of bolts churning around when you listen near the clutch cover. Have to open her up.
Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #84
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I never owned any other injected bike. There is the system CJdesign sells which changes the flow of the fp for some seconds, just when you turn the bike off. This is supposed to help some. I haven't tried it. I concentrated on a cheap solution on KTM's logic.
I can only speculate the injectors KTM uses are more delicate, but could be completely wrong.
Cheers.
The BMW GS guys switch their fuel filter to outside of the tank for ease of maintenance, but I have read that it was not possible on the KTM because it did not recirculate the fuel as the BMW, but simply supplied a pressure from the tank to the injectors. CJ's system blows back through the filter to unclog it. Seems to me that it would only blow what ever was stopping the filter back a bit, only to return to the filter as soon as the moto is started back up and begins to pump fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
The R-GS uses a traditional large barrel-shape filter, the KTM uses a teabag construction. I think Mattinghofen went a bit anal with filtering and produced a conservative but easily clogged design.
I'm not sure if KTM recirculates fuel or not, but if it doesn't, as you say, then that could explain pump overheating failures.
That may explain the problem. Of course, by definition a filter will become stopped up, other wise, it would not be filtering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail bandit View Post
Mines at 271mm. 24,000 miles. Seems this means I'm running original chain. It has a masterlink, would have thought rivited in original form?

267.7mm? should be a brand new chain measurement. I converted from an imperial thread.

Cluth retorque..... Just noticed mine sounds like a bunch of bolts churning around when you listen near the clutch cover. Have to open her up.
I am near positive that all of the original chains were an endless. But, that don't mean someone did not convert it to a master link chain for some reason. I need to check my clutch bolts as well!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #85
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just re-torqued my Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts. None were loose at 20,400 miles. It appears that they had been checked before I purchased the moto with 4,900 miles because anti-siege had been applied to the cover bolts. I have never seen anti-siege used from the factory.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #86
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

I pulled this off of Crashmaster's RR when he did a couple years on a 2007 990ADV. Have any of y'all had issues like this and if so at what mileage? I was of the impression that the water pump problems were more of a pre 990ADV problem.

"Hola hermano! Wow, 40,000 kms on the orginal water pump? I have not heard of one lasting that long. I dont know man, it wouldnt hurt to do it then you dont have to worry about it for a long while.

I'm on my third water pump in 40,000 kms. "
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #87
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,301
KTM WP oring update...

The newer 990's were updated with a different wp oring made of viton ( or another manufacturer of the same material, as viton is a Dupont product). And this seal is what they recommend to replace all older wp seals with.

I managed to get this info from a KTM tech customer rep from Ohio recently.

One of the customer service advantages of being a original owner of a KTM Adventure is any KTM shop, KTM service rep or customer service rep can check the history of your bike, explain any service updates and status reports on your bike based on their database.

Since my bike was an '04 S they are researching to make sure I don't have the noisier '05 version of torque limiter.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #88
gefr
Life is a trip

Sorry but your info from a KTM tech customer rep from Ohio is not accurate.

The water pump seal is not oring shape and is not made from "viton" material. It is a seal made of teflon, in place of the older one made of red rubber.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

Whatever info you need you can readit in here http://www.ktm950.info/ and educate all these KTM employed clueless guys.

Cheers
Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #89
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
Quote:
I pulled this off of Crashmaster's RR when he did a couple years on a 2007 990ADV. Have any of y'all had issues like this and if so at what mileage? I was of the impression that the water pump problems were more of a pre 990ADV problem.

"Hola hermano! Wow, 40,000 kms on the orginal water pump? I have not heard of one lasting that long. I dont know man, it wouldnt hurt to do it then you dont have to worry about it for a long while.

I'm on my third water pump in 40,000 kms. "
I didn't carry a wp rebuild kit on my trip and didn't need it, just under 40K miles.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #90
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
The newer 990's were updated with a different wp oring made of viton ( or another manufacturer of the same material, as viton is a Dupont product). And this seal is what they recommend to replace all older wp seals with.

I managed to get this info from a KTM tech customer rep from Ohio recently.

One of the customer service advantages of being a original owner of a KTM Adventure is any KTM shop, KTM service rep or customer service rep can check the history of your bike, explain any service updates and status reports on your bike based on their database.

Since my bike was an '04 S they are researching to make sure I don't have the noisier '05 version of torque limiter.
Quote:
The water pump seal is not oring shape and is not made from "viton" material. It is a seal made of teflon, in place of the older one made of red rubber.

http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

Whatever info you need you can readit in here http://www.ktm950.info/ and educate all these KTM employed clueless guys.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I didn't carry a wp rebuild kit on my trip and didn't need it, just under 40K miles.

Thanks guys! I read Vinney's detailed hotel repair. That might be the reason he is on the third rebuild!