User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Locked Gates

Have just received my detailed maps of the South Island, one thing I was wondering: On several tracks (eg at the north end of the Rainbow Road ) there are 'Locked Gates' marked on the map. Are these to keep vehicles out or can they be opened?

3D
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
I guess that depends on if the roads are public roads or private roads. On my AA maps it has a little note; The representation on this map of a road or track does not necessarily indicate a public right of way.
If they they are locked and marked on the map as such its an indication it is private property or restricted access.
The best thing is to find out who owns it, phone them up and talk to them. Colin and I do quite a bit of exploring onto private land up here and a phone call or personal visit and chat usually gets us where we want to go.
And we get to go back again
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
the rainbow road has gates that are locked at night.I think about 7pm or so,its private land with a road that was originally constructed by NZED for power lines from south to North(as is Molesworth)The rainbow station now maintains the road,and charges 25 per vehicle(15 for bikes i think).The road has several fords,and the last time i went over has several fresh gravel slides out over the road .Its "open" all year round,but can be impassable if the weather is bad.The molesworth is ussually closed over winter.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
RMOTO
Doing secret stuff

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Dawg View Post
Have just received my detailed maps of the South Island, one thing I was wondering: On several tracks (eg at the north end of the Rainbow Road ) there are 'Locked Gates' marked on the map. Are these to keep vehicles out or can they be opened?

3D
There are a number of options for non-permission based adventure riding in New Zealand however if you want to experience the best of everything, head off the common routes. This way you can put together a gem of a route that will give you a diverse experience of New Zealand. The only problem is, some of these tracks require permission and this takes time to research and organise.

The detailed 1:50,000 and 1:250,00 topo maps of NZ indicate a playground of 4X4 tracks, however many of these tracks cross private/DOC/station land and/or have locked gates; for these you will need to seek permission first. Most land owners are open to having adventure riders pass through if you get permission first, but, pass though without getting permission and you will have an angry station owner chase you down and give you an express lesson of every swearword in the New Zealand vocabulary!

Check out the link in my sig for some South Island route ideas with all the land owners’ details

Here is a link to the Rainbow Road. This road is not open all year plus the period in which it is open can vary year to year. The road can be available for use outside of the open period if you arrange access and an access key. The land owner contact details are contained in the link to do this.

RMOTO screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 03:48 PM
RMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Ah yes, the great locked gate dilema.
In New Zaealand we have a common use term for roads that for various reasons may or may not exist in real terms. We call them paper roads
Guick copy and paste of some legal shit here "Paper road": A popular term but not found in the Local Government Act 1974. Also referred to as a "subdivisional road". Commonly understood to mean 'unformed' however the Privy Council considered them to have a broader meaning of, being laid out by survey action but never fenced or 'made up' (formed), or actually used as a road by the general public.

There are detailed explanations of the rights of we the peoples!!! (Comrades ) of what we can do and what we cant do with reference to paper roads.

But herein is where the problems lie Not all roads marked as such on some mapsets are, nor never have been paper roads. Local knowledge is the key to many locks. As Phil and others have said, better to ask than to be run down by a ute driven by a pig while the monkey asks for hokey pokey ice cream
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Thanks for the info (and links). We'll be there next Jan/Feb so hopefully everything will be open. Time will be a little tight so I don't want to be riding up into the hills for miles only to have to turn back because of locked gates.

ADVGD: Spent some time on your site- great resource!

Three Dawg screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 07:14 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
Mathias52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
This website has all the details you need for getting thru the rainbow road, complete with contact details. have a look round the site and u might find some other awesome rides.

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/arti...inbow-road.php
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias52 View Post
This website has all the details you need for getting thru the rainbow road, complete with contact details. have a look round the site and u might find some other awesome rides.

http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/arti...inbow-road.php
Yep, that's ADVGD's site.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote