Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #631
Fat Bear
Iron Butt #48477

Oddometer: 41
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I weighed all of your comments as well as many others from elsewhere very carefully before making a selection. I've used a variety of gear in all kinds of weather conditions all over NA since I've started riding. I took possession of the Badlands Pro Hi-Viz suit yesterday (10C and some light rain) and put about 400 kms on it. Based on first impressions, it clearly outperformed everything else that I've used to date. Hopefully, my thoughts will be the same when my riding season ends in December.
Fat Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #632
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
My Badlands had been reserved for cooler weather riding and long distance touring, but I just sold my summer mesh jacket and had to put it in service for my daily commute. It's been extremely hot here (109 degrees) the last couple of days and it hasn't been that uncomfortable on my 1 hour commute to/from work. I don't get a whole lot of airflow behind my 1200GSA, but all the vents are open and it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #633
snaert
visit www.rvsz.ch

Oddometer: 7
After 3 months of every day riding from switzerland to mongolia we've covered almost every weather conditions from cold to very hot and from heavy rain to snow. My conclusion: With this modification the Klim Badlands Pro is probably the best gear you can get on the market at the moment for a trip like that. I'm absolutely happy with it. It also survived some minor crashes without serious scratches and kept me safe. By the way the modified flap has no impact on the airflow since you can keep the flap open with the strap.

www.rvsz.ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRIDER09 View Post
My concern is the impact of wear because of the "open and shut" effect on those zippers and the fact that they are exposed. As demonstrated by the experience of the inmates that were fitted with the modifications, having a "storm cover" seems like a good addition. In this price range, there must be some redundancy and no single point of failure. I wonder if the mods impacted significantly on the ability to generate airflow when those vents were opened during warmer days.

Our Canadian climate, as demonstrated by last June's data for example, will see 35C on a sunny day and very soon after (when leaving the campsite after taking down the wet tent) in the early morning, it will be 8C and raining all day... During an average 9 month riding season in eastern Canada, we have ridden through a range of -3 to 35C. Not an easy task to aim for a single jacket and pants combo solution.

The requirements are in essence: protection, breathability, waterproof, but all that must come with excellent airflow when we can afford/must ride with "vents open".

It seems like the Badland is very close but I am not yet convinced to spend that much to potentially experience leakage. I have spent so much time experiencing the Canadian weather having worked outside a lot that I know how difficult it can be to develop an 80% solution for our climate.

Thanks to thread like this one, we can get very good feedback.
snaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #634
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Initial Impression

I'm 6'`1", 185 lbs, 34" waist, 44" chest and 36" Badlands pants with Lg jacket fit perfectly. The suit was obviously designed and sized to wear as a complete garment and not an over pant or over jacket. It is fully lined and cut to fit snug in the waist and loose in the shoulders and ass. During most conditions, I wear a pair of nylon warmup pants and a long sleeved mock T underneath. Lots of freedom of movement for vigorous activities offroad, yet very form fitting and non-flap-able for high speeds. When the weather turns cold, I put a fleece long sleeved jacket or electric vest under the jacket and am good to go well below freezing. Not a lot of room, but not overly tight with my thick fleece. I wouldn't want to try to wear the fleece on a rugged offroad workout, but doubt I would anyway as I would overheat.

The sleeve gators are a non issue as they are easily folded back over the sleeve cuffs if more air is desired (they are made of a stretch fabric). Very useful feature if you ride in chilly conditions and want to delay putting on insulating undergarments. The sleeve length is perfect for riding standing on the pegs and a bit long the rest of the time, but I'll put up with that for up on the pegs comfort and protection.

I'll report back on waterproofness after the next frog strangler, which we do have regularly in the Pacific Northwet. Probably more suit than many (most?) folks need, but if you need the protection and features, or just appreciate a really well designed and built piece of technical gear and/or have gazillions of dollars burning a hole in your pocket, the Badlands Pro will be your huckleberry.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #635
squatch.f22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Great review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
I'm 6'`1", 185 lbs, 34" waist, 44" chest and 36" Badlands pants with Lg jacket fit perfectly. The suit was obviously designed and sized to wear as a complete garment and not an over pant or over jacket. It is fully lined and cut to fit snug in the waist and loose in the shoulders and ass. During most conditions, I wear a pair of nylon warmup pants and a long sleeved mock T underneath. Lots of freedom of movement for vigorous activities offroad, yet very form fitting and non-flap-able for high speeds. When the weather turns cold, I put a fleece long sleeved jacket or electric vest under the jacket and am good to go well below freezing. Not a lot of room, but not overly tight with my thick fleece. I wouldn't want to try to wear the fleece on a rugged offroad workout, but doubt I would anyway as I would overheat.

The sleeve gators are a non issue as they are easily folded back over the sleeve cuffs if more air is desired (they are made of a stretch fabric). Very useful feature if you ride in chilly conditions and want to delay putting on insulating undergarments. The sleeve length is perfect for riding standing on the pegs and a bit long the rest of the time, but I'll put up with that for up on the pegs comfort and protection.

I'll report back on waterproofness after the next frog strangler, which we do have regularly in the Pacific Northwet. Probably more suit than many (most?) folks need, but if you need the protection and features, or just appreciate a really well designed and built piece of technical gear and/or have gazillions of dollars burning a hole in your pocket, the Badlands Pro will be your huckleberry.
Thanks for the review... getting jacket and pants in a couple weeks.
squatch.f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #636
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
After a lot of research, I finally decided on a riding suit that would be good for an upcoming six month tour of the Americas. Bought the Klim Badlands Pro. I'm still trying to love the fit...

I am 6-2, 200 lbs, 34" sleeve and 36" waist. I tried on the Badlands Pro large jacket and it fit well, with little room for layers underneath. In the XL, I feel I'm swimming in it. The hip band helps snug the jacket down, but if I leave the band unhooked, the jacket tends to ride up and the "Deflexion" armor on the left side tends to rub against my neck. It seems the KLIM fitment chart did not reflect what I need as a rider

I don't think I've ever worn a jacket that had such a huge fit difference between a large and extra large.... like I said, I'm still trying to love the super loose fit of the XL.

The pants seemed to fit true to size. I wear a 36 trouser, and the Pro 36T is plenty long. The pants are very heavy; about 7 lbs. I tried my Carhart suspenders with them and they were perfectly comfortable. I opted for a set of the KLIM 'deluxe' suspenders which work very well with the pant as they use the built in suspender attachement points.

I've worn the suit only once, but that was on a 2,000 mile ride through the epic heat wave that strangled the West a week or so ago. Ventilation is pretty good. I rode for 11 hours straight in temps ranging from 104 to 114f on the last day of my ride. After nine hours I had to give up on the jacket and I rode in a long sleeve microfiber shirt. Despite continual hydration and multiple stops, 114f was just too much for the jacket! (And nearly for me)

I've yet to wear the suit in the rain-hey, I live in Southern CA, but I suspect the triple layer Gore-Tex will do it's job nicely.

Appearance of the suit is very good-though I could do without all the bright yellow KLIM logos. Wearability is good-I suspect the suit will soften up with use as well.

In all, at this point I'll rate my KLIM Badlands Pro suit as a "very good" purchase since I have misgivings about the fit. Perhaps after I wear it a bit and get used to its baggy, loose fit (and wear it with layers underneath in cold conditions) I can up grade to an "excellent purchase."

Ride on
Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #637
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, there is a ton of good information here. I am still on the fence regarding this jacket and riding in the humid conditions in the summer around here. Can anybody from the PA/MD/VA/DC area comment on how they are fairing in the summer humidity ?

Thanks!
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #638
squatch.f22
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I've had the suit for about a month now in and have ridden in Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi in temperatures from 70F - 110F. Here is what I've found...

Ok, I'm from Alaska and don't like high temps. I'm too warm at 70F with any jacket but NEVER ride without protective gear so I always wear the jacket, even when it's hot. I bought a wet vest to wear underneath and am comfortable at temps up to 110 with the vest on and the vents open. I'm not a real big fan of the waist belt though while I'm wearing the vest... still trying to figure out that portion. I've even been stuck in traffic in Dallas at 106 without too much overheating (vest on).

I rode through a torrential thunderstorm in Oklahoma that I shouldn't have been riding in (looked at radar afterwards) and the only spot I got wet was armpits due to sideways rain and not zipping the vents until after I was wet. I left the back vents open continuously. The previous rain I had ridden in didn't get in the armpit vents (rain was vertical, not horizontal).

So, as far as rain protection, it works great. For me, as long as it's not windy, I will leave armpit and back vents open in the rain. I will close armpits as soon as it gets windy.

Pants are sufficient. I wish there was a way to ventilate better but it's tough. I need to get some suspenders as they fit well while seated but I am continually pulling them up while walking around. I probably could have gotten a size smaller. I wear 36 in jeans and got a 36 but have it cinched down and still just a little big.

I did lay my bike down in a turn at about 10mph (hit something slippery on the highway turning left) and didn't have any issues with the pants. I scuffed my calf where it rubbed between the boot and the asphalt and ripped a small hole in the knee where the impact happened. Armor in my left knee got a small crack in it so I'm going to replace it but haven't yet. I'm impressed by how the cordura help up.

Yes, the gear is heavy. It fits in an empty side pannier if you want to leave it at the bike but you have to bend the back armour a little bit (and I don't like doing that). I have the wrist gators folded back over the wrist velcro and it stays there. This allows air to enter at the wrists as well. I folded that down for the rain and it kept water out of my sleeve.

Outside chest pocket did get some moisture in it in the big thunderstorm. I tried a camelback in the jacket but didn't like it due to the additional weight and the change in fit. I now wear a Geigerrig over the top for long rides.

Let me know if you have any questions I didn't hit.

- Justin
2013 1200 GSA
squatch.f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #639
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Good review Justin....

Here in So Cal it is hot all summer, plus you gotta ride thru hellacious heat to get to the places that are more pleasant...Doing your penance riding the deserts, I call it!

I'm thinking humidity in this suit is gonna be the pits....the ventilation zips on the arms and legs should be bigger, IMHO, plus the suit is heavy. But, there is no perfect solution. The Badlands Pro is protective and will keep you dry, and is reasonable in hot conditions (90-105f if you are moving and hydrating.)

Ride safely
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #640
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread, there is a ton of good information here. I am still on the fence regarding this jacket and riding in the humid conditions in the summer around here. Can anybody from the PA/MD/VA/DC area comment on how they are fairing in the summer humidity ?

Thanks!
I bought the Badlands Pro jacket,wore it once and moved it along to someone who can appreciate it.
Large is Kinda tight for my 6' 185lb shape,not enough venting to get by with here in Nor Cal,really not much venting at all.

I couldnt move around freely enough to want to use it off road and Id get too hot in a heartbeat doing so,I dont like heavy jackets and these are heavy.

So Im in the minority, as people seem to love the rough and tough look of these jackets,and not everybody lives wheres its hot for a lot of the year.
For the price I can buy 2 nice jackets that will cover any temp zone.

Nice looking jacket though. And they're kinda the ADV uniform now.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #641
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:

Thanks!
I'm a couple hours north of you in Wilkes Barre. With all of the vents open, it actually flows a lot of air. I've been using the velcro straps on the lapels to keep the top of the jacket partially open, and the ventilation is phenomenal this way. However, when I'm standing still or in slow moving city/town traffic, it gets pretty damn hot. I only got the jacket a few months ago, but I've been fairing well in the heat and humidity. I don't foresee having to use another jacket for the hot weather.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #642
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I'm a couple hours north of you in Wilkes Barre. With all of the vents open, it actually flows a lot of air. I've been using the velcro straps on the lapels to keep the top of the jacket partially open, and the ventilation is phenomenal this way. However, when I'm standing still or in slow moving city/town traffic, it gets pretty damn hot. I only got the jacket a few months ago, but I've been fairing well in the heat and humidity. I don't foresee having to use another jacket for the hot weather.
So not too much different than my mesh jacket I am wearing now, if I am not moving in it I am cooking because there is no air flow.... I am thinking that this jacket and a pair of AD1 pants may be a good year round waterproof commuting setup without having to mess with my frogg toggs...

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #643
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
So not too much different than my mesh jacket I am wearing now, if I am not moving in it I am cooking because there is no air flow.... I am thinking that this jacket and a pair of AD1 pants may be a good year round waterproof commuting setup without having to mess with my frogg toggs...

Thanks for the feedback!
That's my exact setup. Badlands top and AD1 pants. I'm very happy with this combination.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #644
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
That's my exact setup. Badlands top and AD1 pants. I'm very happy with this combination.
Me too. Although I switch to Motoport kevlar mesh pants for the summer. Perfect combo.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #645
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Me too. Although I switch to Motoport kevlar mesh pants for the summer. Perfect combo.
I need something more waterproof for commuting than mesh, I am tired of messing with rain gear. I don't get much if any airflow through my current mesh pants anyways.