Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #556
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Oddometer: 682
How old is your Squadron? Can you post a couple pics how it mounts to your bike? I'm unclear if it comes wiht a bracket with enough room to let me use my OEM cluster.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #557
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
I completely agree, I will talk it over with our engineers and staff this week. We always appreciate suggestions, especially from BD supporters.

Thanks,

Gordon BD
I'm in a position to buy a lighting kit. Have the older style headlight shell (99 LC4 640 Enduro), and would happily chunk it in favor of a newer design as long as I could keep my stock console The stock headlight shell barely fits under the console as is, and it's hard to think about spending $400+ just to see if something fits.

You'd make a lot of us very happy if a kit could be retrofitted on the older style headlight shells.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #558
toro618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
How old is your Squadron? Can you post a couple pics how it mounts to your bike? I'm unclear if it comes wiht a bracket with enough room to let me use my OEM cluster.
I am not sure if this question was intened for me or not, but I bought my Squadron a few weeks ago, and installed it a few days ago.
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #559
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Decided to give this a go - order placed (along with dimmer relay and orange shell, sold separately). I don't weld but I think I'll be able to fab some brackets to make the Polisport work with my existing console.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #560
Queen of Spades
tall drink of water

Baja Designs currently does not offer an orange shell for the Squadron (which is just as well, as I didn't care for the white numberplate backgrounds). After some initial product image comparisons of the Polisport MMX and Squadron plastic shell, I was pretty sure they were identical. This is nice since the MMX comes in orange (and other colors not offered by BD at this time).

I ordered a Squadron with dimmer, and an orange Polisport MMX shell last week. Both components arrived today. Here's a quick, non-scientific comparison:

BD:

MMX:

BD:

MMX:

BD:

MMX:

Here are the available colors from Polisport:

Will post more as I work out fitment on my '99 LC4-E.

Queen of Spades screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 04:42 PM
Queen of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #561
drex
So Cal

Oddometer: 115
Question Just Mounted my Squadron/Dimmer Hi/Lo?

I received my squadron from Baja Designs yesterday. I ordered on Tuesday and it arrived on Wednesday. Can't beat their service! Thank you!

The bike is a CRF450X, with a Baja Designs DSK already installed -- the one with the old-style, larger switch. I recently had BD rewind the stator, but had until now stayed with the stock DSK light.

I moved the DSK flasher and horn to the Polisport shell, connected the BD dimmer, mounted it all up (using the Tecate mount kit) and shazam -- once i used the fob to turn on the dimmer. I am able to use the fob to dim/brighten the light as expected.

The next step I want to take is connecting the yellow wire from the dimmer to the switch to simulate the hi/lo beam effect.

How exactly do I do this? My understanding of things electrical is lacking. But i can follow directions. :)

I believe the hi beam wire on my switch is also yellow. Can anyone confirm? Do simply follow it out of the switch, find the end (since it would no longer be in use to connect to a dual filament bulb) and connect that yellow wire to the yellow wire from the dimmer?

That seems too easy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dan
Old 05-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #562
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Aim issue

I sent a email Monday asking about a small issue I am having with my Squadron in the stock KTM mask. Havn't heard anything so I will repeat question here - hate to do this because every time I do something like this it seems I get my response.
Anyway I bought a squadron in it's own mask for my XR650R ,when BD first released them for sale, and never used it. I have since purchased a XC-W 2013 KTM and decided I wanted to install squadron on it. I contacted BD and ordered a adapter kit to install squadron light in stock KTM mask. The kit had a couple plastic spacers approx .75in long and I installed them on the top mount posts and angled the light down and installed on the forks. It was a cloudy day and I had the bike facing out of the garage when I first fired it up - it lit up the tree tops on the other side of the driveway! The only way I can get the light low enough to be useful is to put the mask on the lower mounting pins and space the top of the mask 2+ inches away from the fork. I am assuming that I can not invert the light because I need the relief cut in the heat sink to clear the voltage regulator - any ideas?
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #563
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Do you have an adjusting screw at the bottom of the mask like in Qeen of Spades' pictures above? You should be able to space this out for aiming. Also, is your sag set correctly? The light will be high if the rear has to much sag.

I didn't have any problem aiming mine. One in the BD mask and another in a stock Husky mask. No direct experience with the KTM mask.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #564
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

sag is fine but I do notice from the above pics that I have the light installed 90* rotated. don't know if that will make a difference - I rotated the heat sinc cutout to clear the voltage regulator when the bars are turned. Think I will put light back in original mask and install and see what happens - Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #565
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
...The only way I can get the light low enough to be useful is to put the mask on the lower mounting pins and space the top of the mask 2+ inches away from the fork. I am assuming that I can not invert the light because I need the relief cut in the heat sink to clear the voltage regulator - any ideas?

It sounds like you are missing the extenders for the fork mounts. It should look like this:

I don't think the orientation of the rear part of the light matters, but I could be wrong.
2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #566
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you Yardstick

That is exactly the problem - I will contact BD and get a pair ordered - Thanks again
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #567
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
That is exactly the problem - I will contact BD and get a pair ordered - Thanks again
Give me a call if you need anything

Thanks
Mike
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #568
brent tex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Would this squadron light fit my 09 ktm450exc. How about my stator, would I have to upgrade it???
brent tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #569
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Great service

I have read many posts about BD great customer service - well here is another. I called and Mike answered the phone , started to tell him about needing the brackets for the KTM shroud. He said he was just reading my post on ADV - and would send them and the bolt that I managed to lose out at no charge for the parts. Sure is nice to deal with people who are proud of their products and customer care. Thanks Mike
Old 06-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #570
Baja Designs
Baja Designs

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent tex View Post
Would this squadron light fit my 09 ktm450exc. How about my stator, would I have to upgrade it???
Hi
To run the squadron on your bike a dc conversion is needed here's the necessary parts
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=611040

The modification to the stator needed is floating the ground, we have instructions on the website and also offer that service for $30.

Then you could run the Squadron in the polisport like seen above or you could run it in your stock shell like this
http://www.bajadesigns.com/SearchByKeyword?word=497051

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks
Mike
Like our facebook page for all the latest BD news:https://www.facebook.com/BajaDesigns...gy?ref=tn_tnmn
Baja Designs is online now   Reply With Quote