Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
One hour from home. Getting ready to head back out after hiding from the rain in a McDonalds.

Would you believe hitting a deer was not the most noteworthy event of my trip?

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
great to see a BLUE bike in the buckeye state
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
great to see a BLUE bike in the buckeye state
Just for that, I'm riding to The Shoe tomorrow for a picture.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Six days, six States, 2002 miles, on a 250cc dirt bike. It's good to be home.

Full write-up and pictures beginning tomorrow night.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #35
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Six days, six States, 2002 miles, on a 250cc dirt bike. It's good to be home.

Full write-up and pictures beginning tomorrow night.
That is impressive, and inspiring. I may take the CRF on my next trip. Looking forward to seeing your RR. Before my scooter died last summer I was planning a couple hundred mile minimalist trip with it. Glad it broke before I was really far from home.

So, was that you I saw on the parkway Thursday about 11:30 around mile post 140 ? It sure looked like a blue bike and perhaps a hi viz helmet ???
Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #36
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
That is impressive, and inspiring. I may take the CRF on my next trip. Looking forward to seeing your RR. Before my scooter died last summer I was planning a couple hundred mile minimalist trip with it. Glad it broke before I was really far from home.

So, was that you I saw on the parkway Thursday about 11:30 around mile post 140 ? It sure looked like a blue bike and perhaps a hi viz helmet ???
Writing up Day One now. Should have it done in an hour. I'll probably roll this out one day at a time given the amount of work involved.

Tuesday around luch, I was in Asheville, NC (mile 390), so that wasn't me.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 11:15 AM
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #37
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Historic Road Tour 2013 (aka Lollygag-apalooza 2013) - Day 1 (May 26th)

I had been planning this trip for months. I was called to Active Duty for deployment from January of 2012 through March of 2013, so I had lots of time to sit with my GPS software, read the ADV forums, and plan an epic trip.

As a Reservist, Army regs don't apply to me when I'm not in a duty status, but I figured I'd do the right thing and take a motorcycle refresher course before setting out. I took the MSF Basic Rider Course - 2, which is essentially the Basic Course, minus the classroom time, but on your own bike. I found the WR25R's on-off throttle snatchyness was a pain in the ass for navigating the slow course obstacles, but found it would help me in the long run.

The overall plan was to hit five historic roads: Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, Blue Ridge Parkway, Trail of Tears, Tail of the Dragon, and Wilderness Trail / Cumberland Gap. I was originally going to do them in that order, but I failed to account for the Memorial Day holiday. That would put me on the BRP on the holiday, which would have been a nightmare. Instead, I reversed the order and did the loop counter-clockwise. I had reserved camping in every location but Cumberland Gap. Their campsite was on a first-come basis, but I was prepared to stealth camp, if necessary.

I laid out all my gear on Saturday night (May 25th). Considering a few planned gravel routes were up to 10 miles from civilization, I tossed my Army-issued Improved First Aid Kit (IFAK) on the pile. Little did I know this would be the most important decision of my trip. With my gear staged, the intent was to pack in the morning and get on the road by 9 AM. Wishful thinking.

Sunday morning (May 26th), I was up by 8 AM, but was slow to pack and didn't roll out until 10 AM. After a stop a McDonalds for breakfast and update this thread, I realized I forgot my iPhone charging cable. Since this would be my only connection to the outside world, I had to go back and get it. It would be close to 11 AM before I hit the road in earnest.

Though I'm not against riding the WRR on the Interstate, I try to avoid it whenever I can since the air coming off the big rigs can be a pain in the ass. Plus, to paraphrase the old saying, "It's more fun to ride fast on a slow road than to ride slow on a fast road." Either way, I jumped on the Interstate just long enough to get out of Columbus. I soon turned off and headed down US-62 for the log ride across Flatistan, the flat, glaciated portion of Ohio. The frequent stops to get pictures for the Ohio TagOrama game did not help my schedule.

By 2 PM, I made it to the Ohio River and crossed into Kentucky

On the other side, I drove through an ancient sea.

One of my other hobbies is fossil hunting, so of course I had to stop. My bedrock topology map of Ohio tells me this area most likely from the Ordovician age, 485 to 443 million years old.

I stopped long enough to find a nice brachiopod on a slab.

With a empty tank and empty stomach, I headed into Maysville, Kentucky. One of the best parts of traveling is finding great little places to eat. I try to avoid chains and will ask the locals where they eat. At the gas station, one gentleman said, "Everyone goes to deSha's," so I decided to give it a shot.

I told the waitress, "This is my first time here and I probably my last time. What are you famous for or what do you recommend.?" Unfortunately, my waitress didn't really have a clue and just pointed to the most expensive steak on the menu. I passed on that and went with a cajun grilled chicken breast and grilled vegetables. Not spectacular, but pretty solid.

Getting back on the bike, I headed south through the rolling horse country east of Lexington. Once I got to Winchester, I saw that I was pretty far off my time table. I decided to hit the Interstate to get me back on schedule. It would mean skipping Fort Boonesborough State Park, but would allow me to make a quick stop in Lexington to buy some Lara bars for breakfast and emergency rations.

Ninety minutes later, I got off on US-25E and headed towards Cumberland Gap. Close to sunset, I headed through the tunnel and came out in Tennessee.

A mile later, I was in Virginia.

I pulled into the campground and was relieved to find it almost empty. I found a campsite, set up my tent by headlight, and then drove back to the ranger station to self-register and pay my $12.

It was about 10 PM by this time, and I was pretty hungry. It being a Sunday night, I knew I might have trouble finding someplace open, but I gave it a shot. Heading back up the tunnel into Middlesboro, Kentucky, I tried chasing down a few places on my GPS, but I either couldn't find them or found them closed. I eventually found a little dive called Waffle King.

It looked like a Waffle Hut, so I figured the food would be plain and cheap. I was right, but the sausage, gravy, and biscuits were pretty damn good.

I headed back to camp and saw the only moon I'd see for the entire trip.

Day 1 was complete. My GPS odometer showed 349 miles for the day, already my longest ride ever on two wheels.

Here's a rough trip route for the day: http://goo.gl/maps/jhPZF

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 11:20 AM
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #38
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2 (May 27th)

My first and only night sleeping on the ground was pretty miserable. No matter how I tossed and turned, I could not find a comfortable position. When my alarm went off at 7 AM, I turned it off and went back to sleep. I woke around 8:30 AM, ate a few Lara bars, and broke camp. I pulled out around 9:30 AM.

The night before, I was looking at the park map and saw an interesting road. Pinacle Road was a twisty, 3-mile lane that looked to offer some spectacular views of the gap. I headed back up the tunnel to Kentucky and headed up the road. It was a great warmup for the twisties to come and I was right about the view.

Fern Lake from the overlook trail.

A panorama of the pass. Cumberland Gap, Tennessee is on the left, the gap in the center, and Middlesboro, Kentucky at the right. It doesn't look like much, but the alternating ridgelines and valleys of the Appalachians were such a barrier to western travel, it wasn't until Daniel Boone cut the Wilderness Trail through the Cumberland Gap that several hundred thousand settlers were able to move into Tennessee, Kentucky, and the Ohio Valley.

After a quick trip down the hill, I rode through the tunnel for the fifth time and then headed east on the Wilderness Road towards Kingsport, Tennessee. The road offered great views from the Cumberland Mountains. This is Powell Mountain at 2319 feet.

I eventually made it down to Hampton, Tennessee and the Trans Eastern Trail.

I crossed into North Carolina somewhere in the boonies, so there was no state sign. I'll have to get my photo on the way out.

At one point, the TET route had construction and I was forced to detour. At a really shitty intersection (uphill and pointed towards oncoming traffic), I went to put my foot down and found only air. Thankfully, this would be my only drop of the trip because lifting it with gear really sucks.

Running behind, I leap-frogged sections of the TET to catch up on time. Random photos from the trip.

I rode through Maggie Valley and was surprised by the lack of traffic lights. I stopped at the west end of the valley for a photo.

Heading west on US-19, I approached the intersection with the Blue Ridge Parkway and saw this really weird deer sign. I didn't think much of it, but damn near locked up the brakes when I saw this. I never knew they had elk in North Carolina.

I blew through Cherokee, shaking my head at the stereotypical commercialization of Native American culture. Everything was closed, but I wondered if Cherokees or the white man owned and operated all those shops. A little further down the road, I stopped in Bryson City for a sandwich and some beer, then made the final push to Kickstand Lodge. I rolled in at 9 PM and really didn't want to sleep on the ground. I asked what they had available with a bed. The bunkhouse sleeps six, but nobody was in there. Four only $4 more than the tent fee, I took it. After dropping my gear, I took my food and drink over to the campfire to chat with the other riders.

I know Mo! (on the left)

351 miles for the day (beating my previous record by 2 miles) and 700 miles for the trip. Here's a rough trip route for the day: http://goo.gl/maps/03t1p

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 05:42 PM
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #39
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
looks like one helluva ride! (still wondering about the deer-strike...)
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #40
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
looks like one helluva ride! (still wondering about the deer-strike...)
Be patient. Stories are told from the beginning.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #41
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Be patient. Stories are told from the beginning.
slacker

Once again let me ask you was that you on the parkway THURSDAY morning 11:40 mm140 ???

Your thread is most worthy for ADV keep it coming. You will continue with details of your move/service down south ?

Check out klaviator 's RRs for some cool minimalist trips when you have time.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #42
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

I answed earlier in the thread. Tuesday around lunch, I was in Asheville, NC (mile 390), so that wasn't me.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 11:25 AM
Old 06-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #43
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3 (May 28th)

I had set my alarm for 8:30 AM, but woke up at 8. It's amazing how well six hours of sleep feels on a real bed. I had three beers the night before and woke with a slight headache and the shits. I'm a beer snob and tried a local brew, Highland Brewing Company's Oatmeal Porter. Allegedly very good, but didn't agree with my system.

The bunkhouse.

After a quick breakfast of ham and eggs, stopped for a quick picture and decided on my route for the day.

Using this as a guide, I had a 400-mile adventure loop plotted out, but I knew I couldn't do it all in one day. I purposefully designed in smaller loops that can be bypassed, if needed.

I immediately cut out the Clingman's Dome, Cades Cove, Parson's Branch loop. Instead, I headed straight up NC-28 to the Dragon. The ride up was perfect. I didn't see a single vehicle in my lane for the whole 22-mile ride.

Fontana Lake from NC-28

I got to the store and slammed a Mt Dew to deal with the headache, then took some pictures.

I then headed out to the Dragon. For my first (and only) run on two wheels, I didn't try to break any speed records, but didn't want to lead a parade either. As memory serves, I only pulled over twice to let faster traffic by. From parking lot to parking lot, I ran the 11.7 miles in just under 23 minutes, for a moving average 30.5 MPH.

From killboy.com

I headed over to the other side of the river to get to the gravel, hitting Citco Road, Cold Spring Road, and Doublecamp Creek Road. The last two, shown below, make a nice 15-mile loop. The first 8 miles are all uphill, then a 2-mile downhill, then a 5-mile flat run along a creek.

From there I jumped on the Cherohala Skyway for a few miles and headed for Bald River Falls.

There I met Dave (aka TWTourist) who happen to be friends with two guys I had met at Kickstand Lodge the night before. All three of them were up from Texas.

I was getting hungry by this point, so I headed into Tellico Plains. First stop was to Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters to get a Powerlet / Cigarette Lighter splitter for my Powerlet socket. This would allow me to use my USB power supply to charge phone and cameras while riding.

After that, I headed over to Tellico Grains for a quick bite to eat. Looking at my GPS, I saw that I'd have just enough time to do the Little Snowbird - Beaver Creek connector and Tatham Gap Road (aka Trail of Tears) before it got dark. I hauled ass back down the Skyway, stopping long enough for your standard "ADVrider gazing towards the horizon" shot.

I then turned off on the 28-mile route I planned for Little Snowbird - Beaver Creek Road.

It's a great route, but it got confusing at the end of Little Snowbird. It turns out you have to go down Porterfield Gap Road, even though it's marked "Private." I tried standing for most of the route down Beaver Creek and found that I prefer it to sitting, but the handlebars are just a touch too low.

Stopping in Andrews only long enough to get gas, I headed back though town to Tatham Gap Road.

What the fuck...

Nooooooooooooooooo...

Turns out the road was closed three months ago. I considered going around the gate, but a quick Google search attributed the closing to heavy rains in January making unsafe road conditions.

Well, my day was done. I rode up to Robbinsville and then over to Kickstand Lodge. On the way, I passed over the AT

I got in before sunset for the only time this trip. Only 230 miles for the day and 930 for the trip.

ArmyJoe screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 04:43 PM
Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #44
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Just subscribed

Great trip report...and nice photos! I noticed a lot of pictures with your bike tipped over...I like that. I'm glad you feel comfortable sharing ALL your experiences, not just the "macho" ones. Every once in a while I either make a bad judgment call or just plain "space out" and fail to pay attention...and my XR decides to lay down and take a nap.

Keep the posts coming, I just subscribed. It' nice to see people taking bigger trips on smaller bikes. How do like those Dunlop 606's? My XR sings like crazy at about 65mph.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
ArmyJoe OP
Beastly Adventurer

I only have the D606 on the rear. I'm liking it so far, but have yet to get it in some mud.