Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneBaby View Post
I am starting to plan an epic RTW solo trip and its my understanding that the season for riding Nepal/Northern India starts about mid May? the months you talk about doing the Himalayas will be the middle of winter ....I think? someone?
Most of the region is 10,000ft+. Substantial chunks are at 12-14K, with passes reaching 16K.

If you want to enjoy is - as opposed to survive it - pick the warmest dates of the season. Even during the warmest months, it gets pretty chilly at night if you are staying at higher elevations.

Also, do your best to pass the region before the monsoon season begins. Once you cross south of Rhotang, the monsoon rains can be brutal.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thanks Witold :) What time of year did you do your trip? Amazing photos and much respect to you sir
http://peakfreaks.com/nepal_general_info.htm
that throws my previous plans in a spin adapt and change live and learn
I have the bike and gear route planned and Im starting to think about weather now which is great because it was beyond my simple mind a wee while ago, Getting closer . Im determine to quit the best and best paying job I've ever had in January and just go , Cant wait!!
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #18
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
I spent 4+ months there. In some ways, your top priority is to go when the top mountain passes are sure to be open or you will have major delays and heartache. As such, mid May-mid September is a pretty good hard timeframe for Kashmir/Ladakh.

Even if you hit the monsoon rains, it's not going to be too bad. The rains rarely cross into high altitude deserts on the other side of Rhotang pass as far as I know. But even further South, I think I actually liked it more than the oppressive dust bowl heat. The rains will delay you a bit, though.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote