Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #46
rod172
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
Globeriders do a dvd on BMW R1200 GS, including maintenance, you should check it out. They also do the 650 & 800. I don't know if they're any good though.
+1 on the Globeriders DVD. Covers a lot of different tips and tricks associated with maintenance and preparation.

When it comes to step by step maintenance, it doesn't get much better than Jim Von Baden's DVDs. Extremely informative and unbiased. http://www.jimvonbaden.com

My .02...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #47
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
I was looking for the link on ProMachine tools (I think they make the tool for removing front axle bolts and a trick oil filler cap) but I can't find it. I think the company goes by another name but I'm racking my brain trying to figure it out.

Yes I've tried Google, no luck.

Any help (I think they should be added to the accessories links too).

Edit: Ok, I found them. It should be ProMach not ProMachine like I was searching on.

ProMachDualTool

gspdbill screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 12:39 PM
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #48
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
I was looking for the link on ProMachine tools (I think they make the tool for removing front axle bolts and a trick oil filler cap) but I can't find it. I think the company goes by another name but I'm racking my brain trying to figure it out.

Yes I've tried Google, no luck.

Any help (I think they should be added to the accessories links too).

Edit: Ok, I found them. It should be ProMach not ProMachine like I was searching on.

ProMachDualTool
If you are looking to buy one or both of these, I have a set - billet aluminum but from a different manufacturer - that I'll sell you. I bought a GS specific tool kit that came with them as well, so I have 2 of each.

The spark plug boot puller / oil cap removal tool has never been used.

The front axle removal tool has been used one time (tire removal and reinstallation).

I'm willing to sell these as a set to you for $45 shipped to a US address, if you are interested...
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #49
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia View Post
If you are looking to buy one or both of these, I have a set - billet aluminum but from a different manufacturer - that I'll sell you. I bought a GS specific tool kit that came with them as well, so I have 2 of each.

The spark plug boot puller / oil cap removal tool has never been used.

The front axle removal tool has been used one time (tire removal and reinstallation).

I'm willing to sell these as a set to you for $45 shipped to a US address, if you are interested...
Thanks but I already have them. Was originally trying to update my GS maint. spreadsheet and realized I didn't have that info there, went looking for the details.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #50
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
Thanks but I already have them. Was originally trying to update my GS maint. spreadsheet and realized I didn't have that info there, went looking for the details.
ok...
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #51
sonarman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
tools

Do you still have tools or sale?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #52
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarman View Post
Do you still have tools or sale?
me? yes, I do... pm if interested...
Old 10-18-2013, 04:58 AM   #53
mka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
exhausts...

Hi

first just to say what an incredible thread..............i have been reading it and re-reading it and it is super explanatory in every way, so well done big time and mucho appreciated.

i wasn't sure where to put this stupid question so if this is the wrong place i do apologise in advance.

my stupid question relates to the exhaust on a 2008 r1200gs..................i have the bog standard that comes with the bike.............but i thought i would really like a super noisy burbly type of noise and on other bikes i have the arrow exhaust...............however i have checked out many places online for more info on this topic but it is a bit sketchy (either that or i'm not good at searching !) i find that i feel safer (!) if riding a bike with a big noise level and would like to upgrade/change but would really appreciate any and all advice on this matter, even if the advice is to leave well enough alone !

also, i'm a big fan of Tagesk and like himself i just love the Italian lifestyle and all it offers..............unfortunately i only can travel there and back from ireland, at least for the moment, but any chance i get i'm there...................so big thank you for all the adventures too Tagesk.

kind regards and if you guys are EVER in the area of the west/north west of ireland be sure to let me know..............you'll be very welcome for sure !
Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
firstr8
Walter Mitty Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
GS vs. GS Adventure Comparison

Awesome FAQ:

Any chance there is a comparison between the GS and the GS Adventure?

I understand that opinions will vary among members, but I have not seen a spec compare between the two. (and as others have confirmed, the Search function isn't the greatest.

I've been reading/searching but haven't seen anything yet.

It would help when deciding between the two beasts.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #55
Enichkin
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wiring diagram r1200gsa you can find this software from BMW
http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4651956

As you can read, delete errors, ABS pump, wash service requests by date or time.
Video

I beg to add this information to the Rheingold in faq...
https://translate.google.ru/translat...%25D1%258B-%21
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #56
RandM
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Q - Over Torqued Bolts

Hi people, being my first post here, I'd like to mention how happy I am to have found Adv Rider - it's a treasure trove of info. and much appreciated. It's also
worth mentioning straight up that while I'm handy with a spanner and have maintained my own vehicles for over 40 yrs, I'm not a pro spanner man and thus have gaps in my knowledge base having learning mostly what's applicable to my needs.
I've been lurking and learning as much as I can and now have leads to answer most of my Q's but - following the best traditions - the answers to some questions just suggest more questions.

In the FAQ regarding over torqued bolts it's mentioned that the torque ratings are calculated for dry, non lubricated bolts/nuts.

I was told in my youth that unless a thread is lubricated you can't be sure that it has tightened up cleanly - that it may have a tight spot giving a false reading - thus you always lubricate the thread.

Is there a rule of thumb for recalculating the given torque rating for a lubricated thread?

EG : If the unlubed T rating is 100Nm - the lubed rating is 80% or 80Nm?

RandM.
Closed Thread