User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #181
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
On The Air

RMO is back on the air tomorrow...10 AM to noon mountain daylight time. Streaming live at KOTO.org...91.7 FM from Telluride,CO. Call with comments or requests: 970-728-4333...you will be live on the air...be nice!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #182
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Excellent ride report!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #183
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Solo In Mexico-Riding Free

I will "man up"" here in the truest sense and say that riding solo in Mexico was freeing but I was also scared every day. There was not one time that I engaged the starter and headed off that I was not aware of the consequences. I drink my morning coffee out of a mug that has a picture of John Wayne on the outside. On the inside rim it says "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" I won't say that riding solo in Mexico for nearly five months was a courageous act but it certainly was adventurous.

Painting in Argentine parillada in San Cristobal de Las Casas
Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #184
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,002
RMO,
Thanks for posting your thoughts. Question: Was your fear specific as in "I'm riding to a place where there shootings last week" or more generic " This is Mexico and and bad stuff happens here"?

I know I live in the sheltered confines of central and very rural Sonora but I never have that kind of feeling.

7 years in Mexico, 5 years full time. I do get nervous crossing back into the US though.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #185
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
At one point he was afraid I would run out of nice places to show him while we were riding together.
I saw the fear in his eyes and his tongue hanging out!
RMO knows how to do two things. He knows how to make friends and he knows how to do freeform FM radio.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #186
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
...and lived in LA from my mid-twenties to late fifties. The first time I drove across the country in the summer of '64 the I-40 was still under construction...much of the route was still Route 66...was in Williams, AZ last night where Route 66 nostalgia has become big business...
Where in L.A. did you live? I was born in downtown L.A. and raised just a few blocks south of the hospital where I was born. Think vic of Washington & Figueroa.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #187
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

LA Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Where in L.A. did you live? I was born in downtown L.A. and raised just a few blocks south of the hospital where I was born. Think vic of Washington & Figueroa.
I lived on the NE side; Silverlake and then Los Feliz just at the foot of the hills and Griffith Park. It was a great neighborhood, minutes from downtown, J town, China town, Boyle heights, amazing Latino food and music...used to catch Los Lobos live and free when they were getting started...also Arco Iris...the rich cultural diversity was one of the great things about living in that part of town. If you ever saw "Chico and The Man" on TV I shot the main title sequence for that.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #188
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
RMO,
Thanks for posting your thoughts. Question: Was your fear specific as in "I'm riding to a place where there shootings last week" or more generic " This is Mexico and and bad stuff happens here"?

I know I live in the sheltered confines of central and very rural Sonora but I never have that kind of feeling.

7 years in Mexico, 5 years full time. I do get nervous crossing back into the US though.
Neither one of those TC...more like "riding a motorcycle is not second nature to me, anywhere, I make mistakes on my motorcycle frequently, I do things on my bike that I am not quite skilled at and sometimes don't pull it off so well, I am riding my motorcycle long distances in a foreign land where I am not fluent in the language and if I have a problem can I get the help I need...if I eat that will I need to launder my riding pants...those kinds of generalized anxieties that you try to prepare for...I feel some of them here too...it is known as reasonable prudence...given that I ride motos.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #189
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,002
I do get a pang of anxiety getting on the bike at times when I realize that I'm a fraud and have no business on a 100hp plus hunk of steel. Then I remember that I've been a fraud for 40 years and thousands of miles and no one has caught on yet and I been relatively unscathed and the feeling goes away. The feeling does come back at times when I can't find neutral, stall the damn thing, etc.

I'm not afraid of riding here, it is home. Riding in cities is nuts though but I adjust. My Denver traffic training comes in handy.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #190
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,100
Same thing here except it's pavement vs. dirt.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #191
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Anxiety

Yeah, It's kind of like "don't fuck up" Have the sme feeling every time a start a new show. The guy who made the first American ascent of Everest and then went on to found REI said it really well: "if you aren't living on the edge you are taking up too much room" Sometimes when we think we are afraid we are really excited...the neuro chemistry is very similar. Fight or flight gives us our competitive edge... It heightens the senses.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #192
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Mismaloya

Old 12-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #193
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Good report, I appreciate your honesty.

I was only scared when visiting Russia and I was only there a few days, also the first time I was ever outside a well traveled area in the Philippines after the sun went down, lemme tell ya I could have walked on water I was so on edge.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote