Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #736
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Glad you decided to stop, that's NOT worth it!! Today is much nicer here. Cool, cloudy and not so windy. I hope you enjoy it!
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #737
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
havent even gotten past the first page and now i'm hooked.......i'm fascinated!

Alcohol Cuz no great story ever started with a salad!!
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #738
boulderbean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Mexico

If you are considering Mexico check out Mata Ortiz and Casas Grandes. Only a few hours from Douglas AZ or Columbus NM. Interesting stuff and on the way to Barrance del Cobre or at least on one of the ways to Copper Canyon.

If you are considering the Copper Canyon area these guys are a wealth of information, they worked with me before we headed to Mexico by email and again once we were in Creel. Gave us advice on where to stay, what to do, how to get there, maps etc. I asked what we owed them and they just asked that we pass along their name. http://www.amigos3.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mata_ortiz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casas_Grandes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barranca_del_Cobre
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #739
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
I'd like to say that my bags were packed the night before and claim to be the pinnacle of efficiency, but to be completely honest I repacked the bike several times. Up until my room was completely cleared out, I was still finding things I'd forgotten.

We left in the late afternoon as a result. Whoops. But hey, at least we were on the road! FINALLY! There was an emotional goodbye (there always is), and we made our way to the freeway.

I had one last errand before leaving town, so I visited my friend to return the splint I no longer needed. We spent some time catching up, and this delay meant that we had barely left city limits before it got dark. But that was okay! We were out of Phoenix! A blood-red moon peeked over the mountains at us as we made our way east.

I'd spotted a patch of public land on the map, a few miles west of Superior. This was Oz's first dirt road on his new bike. He did well, though it was very easy, well-graded smooth dirt.

We found a good spot a bit away from a cattle watering hole, set up the tent, and ate leftover curry. The night was peaceful.

The new day revealed this awesome view! Spring rains had given the desert a light carpet of green.

Without much potable water, I tried to wash the curry pan in a muddy puddle, which seemed to make things worse. I did what I could. We had woken up late and lacked motivation to hurry along, so we didn't break camp until early afternoon.

Superior didn't seem to have much worth stopping for, just boarded-up old buildings. On our way to Globe, we passed some snow alongside the road (sadly, nowhere to pull off to take a photo), and once there, stopped for some fairly mediocre Mexican food.

Most of the view this day was simply desert, or shrinking small towns that had seen better days. I did enjoy these mountains in the distance. Look! Snow! I don't know why it surprised me to see snow this far south.

While taking this picture the lump under the bush stirred and started shouting at me. I'd accidentally woken up somebody trying to get some roadside shuteye without even noticing they were there. I sped off.

We picked up a few groceries in Safford and aimed for a spot about eight miles east of town. By this point it was dark. I didn't see any good spots along the main dirt road, so we doubled back, exploring a side road that was a bit steep and rocky. I felt bad for dragging Oz down it, as a complete newbie, at night. He found it somewhat scary. I would later joke about my “nighttime riding clinics”.

We followed some ATV tracks and made camp out of the way. It was REALLY COLD this night. So cold that our water froze. Even layered up, I was still chilly and did not sleep well.

We got up early for once! The mountains not too far away were blanketed in snow… no wonder it was so cold! We must have been at a higher elevation than I'd anticipated.

Oz heated up some clam chowder with the rest of the leftover mashed potatoes for breakfast. I wasn't really hungry. We left around noon.

Last night's hill did not challenge Oz nearly as badly in the daytime. I had told him to keep on the gas and just throttle through it.

Before long, we were stuck in construction on our way into New Mexico. A Harley rider struck up a conversation, and related that he was on his way to Daytona. Long way to go!

We passed through Lordsburg and continued on the 10 for a while. At a rest area, a guy in an RV randomly invited me to drag race. Uhhh. No thanks?

Near sunset, I tried to find a spot to camp online, but came up empty-handed. We simply continued on into the night. We stopped briefly in Las Crusces, and Oz mentioned that when he was here a few weeks ago, the student union building was a good place to warm up. We were both freezing, so indulged in an hour-long break. Afterwards, we aimed for the Organ Mountain National Recreation Area.

This Recreation Area was closed at night, with a spike strip and barricades. We took a different dirt road and found a steep, loose, rocky pullout. This was too close to the road, sharply angled, rocky, and dangerous to make for a comfortable night's sleep. Oz had an exciting time getting back out of it.

Eventually we found a smaller, rocky trail that wound up into the hills. There was a primitive fire ring and a flat spot, so we called it home for the night. The lights of the city sparkled in the distance, and the moon danced over the mountaintops. It was beautiful.

The amount of traffic on the main dirt road surprised us. At nearly midnight on a Thursday, there were cars passing every 10 minutes. Where were they all going?! This made us nervous, we were almost certain that camping was not allowed here, but we had no better options, and bundled up for another cold night.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #740
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #741
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
.................I felt bad for dragging Oz down it, as a complete newbie, at night. He found it somewhat scary.
I'm always enjoying your reports, Fey......but having said that, I see you don't mind or have much patience when it comes to dragging Oz down bad dirt roads, and at night, yet. I never forced you down any dirt roads at night.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #742
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
I'm always enjoying your reports, Fey......but having said that, I see you don't mind or have much patience when it comes to dragging Oz down bad dirt roads, and at night, yet. I never forced you down any dirt roads at night.
To his credit he whined a lot less than I did.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #743
Bluebone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
gawd this is taking forever to get thru!! i'm only up to page 18 and now i'm even more depressed about my life of slaving away in different factories for the last 30 years and all i have to show for it is a bike on the front porch in pieces and not having the time or proper tools or energy to get it back running. i'm really enjoying this thread which is bizarre considering it's coming thru the eyes of a girl who's only barely older than my own daughter if that.
however i have followed a cpl of Perripins threads but i havent kept up with him lately so it's interested to see how his KLRs have evolved into that MadMaxx apocalyptic monstrosity i see on page 18. i love it!!

Alcohol Cuz no great story ever started with a salad!!
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #744
BlueByU06
Ribbon Rider

Oddometer: 242
I'm all in. Still on page 18. And can't wait to read the next page. Your way with words remind me of another female rider here that hails from just above the Bay area. Just brought a 2012 DR650 all loaded. Have fun and ride safe. See ya on the road.
2005 Klr 650
BlueByU06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #745
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Chiming in to say that I finally finished all 50 pages. Respect. Totally.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #746
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,644
Washing up in the desert ... use sand .. no water ...

As found in Griselda Spriggs book "Dune is a Four Letter Word" ... about her trip across the Simpson Desert with her husband and kid in a 4WD .. 1950s? I read a copy found in a library ..
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #747
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2beers View Post
Yeah, I'm in. Your comment about Dad not wanting you to ride hooked me.

I just hope my daughter doesn't find this report. I suspect she'd just steal my bike and join you.
Hahaha. She's probably already stolen your shirts, sweaters and if she's a normal kid on more than once, your car keys!!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #748
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am in Enterprise, Oregon!

I showed up a week early for the Hells Canyon rally but it turned out for the best, because Brian and Margaret needed all the help they could get to prepare. I helped build a deck and cleaned All The Things. I'm also building them a new website (wordpress) and they are letting me stay in the suite in gratitude. Comfy bed, yay!

Rally was great, I have vastly improved in skill from last year, and it seemed all too short when everybody piled out on Sunday.

I've been taking the opportunity, since Brian has a shop here, to tear down my bike and fix what needs fixing. The results aren't pretty - the mystery rattle was the upper chain roller tearing a quarter-sized chunk out of my frame (I know, I know, but it didn't seem like it would be a problem as the roller wasn't getting much wear and "It won't happen to me"). I'll rustle up somebody with a welder or, if all else fails, jam something in there and jb weld it shut, it seems like a pretty strong area, with a crossmember right above it, so I'm not too worried.

The chain has gone from never needing adjustment to needing adjustment every day or two on the trip from Illinois over here, so I figure even though the xrings are still intact and no links are seized, it is not long for this world. My rubber swingarm protector/chain slider was nearly broken off, need a new rear tire and heavy duty front tube, rear wheel bearings have excessive play, cush drive rubbers, air filter is crunchy, blah blah blah. $500 in parts was a hard pill to swallow, but it beats the shit out of things seizing and being stranded on the side of the road! At least the big purchases like this only seem to be annual...

So anyways, that's what I've been up to.

I still have no idea where I'm going when I leave here...
Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #749
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,107
Hi Fey

Don't remember me probably.... but we sat and talked on the couch Last Friday. I got home and wanted to check out your thread, well I seem to remember coming cross it now; you were in Slab City at the time. Of course it was way back when you first started out. For me that's a lot of riding time ago, so been trying to catchup. WOW you have been places no wonder your bike is in need of TLC.

Anyhoo, I really enjoyed chatting with you and hope you all the best in your endeavors.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #750
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
I showed up a week early for the Hells Canyon rally
Showing up early is good - you get the best spot, and watch everyone else roll in and set up while you sit back. As they set up you can see what gear works well.

Quote:
Rally was great, I have vastly improved in skill from last year, and it seemed all too short when everybody piled out on Sunday.
Leaving late is also good, you get to see what gear is wrecked, and you can pick up some unwanted stuff for nothing. Works well at the Isle of Man TT ... some peole don't want to carry the stuff back home (e.g. Germans - several countries away)

Quote:
I still have no idea where I'm going when I leave here...
Excellent. Pick the best weather and go there.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote