ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #3361
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I have had no problems flying with mine in my carry-on, done it 3-4 times now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
I had mine on and running during a flight.
Cool

This'll be an international flight BTW

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #3362
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 241
Question Predefined message suggestions

G'day all , well I got a Spot Connect with tracking subscription, and have set it all up with no dramas, ran a test "check in" and all is good, I will be heading out with some mates in a week or so and will test the tracking side of the gadget.
Now I have been looking for info on what prefefined messages people put in commonly ?
I have put a few that I feel would be useful in NON emergency messages.

1. Im OK bike broken down. Send ute or trailer with tie downs
2. About to head off again and all is well
3. Having fun wish you were here
4. Checking in and all is well
5. I need some help, not life threatening but could someone come as soon as possible
6. I have someone with me injured, not life threatening, please send help as soon as possible

Anyone have any further message they use ??

Cheers
Stricko

Stricko screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 11:17 PM Reason: forgot one
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #3363
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stricko View Post
G'day all , well I got a Spot Connect with tracking subscription, and have set it all up with no dramas, ran a test "check in" and all is good, I will be heading out with some mates in a week or so and will test the tracking side of the gadget.
Now I have been looking for info on what prefefined messages people put in commonly ?
I have put a few that I feel would be useful in NON emergency messages.

1. Im OK bike broken down. Send ute or trailer with tie downs
2. About to head off again and all is well
3. Having fun wish you were here
4. Checking in and all is well
5. I need some help, not life threatening but could someone come as soon as possible
6. I have someone with me injured, not life threatening, please send help as soon as possible

Anyone have any further message they use ??

Cheers
Stricko
My non emergency messages says "Just checking in to say everything is ok,.... Love Unclebud"

I send this message when I stop for a period of time longer than a gas stop.. I stopped one time and went for a little sight seeing on foot for about hour and half .. wife was watching on computer and got concerned since I had not moved in a long time..

My other message says " I have reached my destination for todays journey... love Unclebud"..
I did this because I have a few people that get text messages ever time I send a message.. Wife, mom, niece, select friends.. They tell me they like the text messages during my trip but they also want to know when I get where im going.. And I didn't want to have to call each one to tell them I made it..

my emergency message says something like "I need help please call local authorities with the coordinates on this message they will be able to find me."
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 AM   #3364
Soberman001
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Does a SPOT transmitter work in Canada?

We are headed on a two-up trip from the US to Halifax in NS, Canada. After that, we are headed to Montreal. Does SPOT work in those regions of Canada? Is there a separate subscription I have to get?

Thanks
Soberman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #3365
Northern Hooligan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Spot works " ALMOST" anywhere you go in the world. You can pay extra for additional features like tracking,email etc etc

http://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=110

Northern Hooligan screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 08:09 AM Reason: added link to " additional features"
Northern Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #3366
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
SPOT does NOT work "anywhere" in the world. It has a limited coverage area, see coverage map:
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #3367
Soberman001
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Thanks boys!
Soberman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #3368
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
SPOT does NOT work "anywhere" in the world. It has a limited coverage area, see coverage map:
He did say "almost"

For some strange reason I could not get it to work when I was in Singapore. No OK messages nor tracking came through at all, not sure what happened there but it worked fine the day before and after in Thailand
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #3369
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
He did say "almost"
His original post did not include that word. He edited it after my post.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #3370
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
New SPOT 3 announced

- http://www.cyclenutz.com/SPOT-Gen3-S...ger_p_936.html
- http://blog.cyclenutz.com/2013/05/spot-gen3-release/

Quote:
We were very excited to find out that SPOT Satellite Trackers will be getting an update very soon in the form of the SPOT Gen3. This is NOT intended to replace SPOT 2 or even the Spot Connect, but to provide a great compliment to the Gen2 in the SPOT Family of products with an all new design and most of the key features that our customers have been asking you all for.

We’re most excited about 2 features that will make a great tool for riders even better. The first feature is the ability to do away with battery replacement thanks to the addition of USB Power availablity. Next is the motion sensing feature that turns on the tracking when you are moving, and turns it off when you’ve stopped moving for a perioud of time.

There are even more great features getting rolled out with the Gen3 and we’ve listed them below.

Enhanced Services ONLY available with SPOT Gen3:

SPOT Gen3‘s customised tracking features take your SPOT experience to the next level. Only with SPOT Gen3, is tracking motion-activated regardless of the level of tracking you choose (Basic, Unlimited or Extreme). A vibration sensor tells your SPOT to send track updates when you are moving and to stop when you do. This is a great new battery-saving feature!

New Tracking Options:
Unlimited Tracking: Set it and forget it. Pre-set your SPOT Gen3 to send tracks at the speed of your adventures. Change your tracks to send every 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes. SPOT Gen3 will send tracks at your chosen rate for as long as your device is turned on and moving (no need to re-set after 24 hours). Tracking doesn’t stop until you do.

With a clear view of the sky and a single set of Lithium 8x batteries, the following battery life can be expected (assuming ~9hrs of constant movement per day):
  • 2.5min Interval: 20 days
  • 5.0min Interval: 25 days
  • 10min Interval: 45 days
  • 30min Interval: 50 days

Extreme Tracking: Get all of the great features of Unlimited Tracking, but with the added ability to vary your track rate down to every 2 ½ minutes. Don’t miss a step with increased track rates!

Features:
  • Compact and light weight; Weighing only 3.2 oz. (with batteries), it packs easily for traveling.
  • Long Battery Life: choose from Lithium or rechargeable batteries; or line-power the unit through its USB port.
  • New Tracking Options: now you can choose the rate of tracking that suits your adventure (2 ½, 5, 10, 30, or 60 minutes).
  • Motion Activated Tracking: now your SPOT knows when you’re moving and when you stop to make camp. When SPOT Gen3 senses you’ve stopped for an extended period of time it will stop sending track messages until you start moving again.
  • New Contoured Shape: the new design allows you to easily attach your SPOT to your bag, boat or vehicle allowing SPOT to go wherever you do

Specifications:
  • Height: 3.43″ (8.72 cm)
  • Width: 2.56″ (6.5 cm)
  • Thickness: 1″ (2.54 cm)
  • Weight: 4.0 oz (114g) with Lithium batteries
  • Operating Temp: -30C to 60C (-22F to 140F)
  • Operating Altitude: -100m to +6,500m(-328ft to +21,320ft)
  • Humidity Rated: MIL-STD-810F, Method 507.3, 95% to 100% cond.
  • Vibration Rated Per SAE J1455
  • Battery Type: 4 AAA Energizer™ Lithium Ultimate 8X or 4 AAA Energizer™ NiMH Rechargeable

Get all of the great features of Unlimited Tracking, but with the added ability to vary your track rate down to every 2 ½ minutes. Don’t miss a step with increased track rates!

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #3371
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Hmm, the SPOT 3 might be good enough to make me upgrade from my SPOT 1. I do like the USB cord and the varying tracking rates. However, I'm not sure about the "Motion activated tracking". I hope that is a configurable setting because one of the things I've always said about the Tracking is if you crash and are knocked out, at least the tracking keeps going to show people where you are. We'll have to see when its released how that is setup? They have seemed to improved battery life over the SPOT 2 which was one of my main reasons for not upgrading to it.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #3372
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 370
The decision point is going to be price for the new Gen3.
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #3373
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

CycleNutz has it on pre-order at $149.95 - http://www.cyclenutz.com/SPOT-Gen3-S...ger_p_936.html
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #3374
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
His original post did not include that word. He edited it after my post.
Fair enough. On the phone app I don't get to see the "last edited" bits
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #3375
Stricko
DRZ'er

Oddometer: 241
Thumbs down One spot down trying another

So I got a SPOT connect 1 month ago. put new Lithium batteries in it.bought a RAM mount for the handlebars to give it a clear view of the sky. took off on a rece ride for a look see and to test the tracking on the SPOT... switched on , did a checkin all OK .. set tracking ON waited for a while then took off for the ride. 1/2 hr later noticed that no lights were working on the SPOT.. turned back on and took off again... checked to see if it was working NO LIGHTS ON !!!
BLahh didnt bother to turn it on again... Bought another set of batteries for the next weekend trip and day of departure did the same routine... and the SPOT continued to turn off over the 2 day ride !!
Logged a warrenty claim via their website with a lengthy note regarding it's NON performance.And told them to have a look at the checkins and tracking to see that it was shuting down . Got an email with a place to send it back to when I recieve the new one. Now awaiting for the replacement SPOT to see if it is as dodgy as the first one..
And yes I tried stuffing the battery cover with paper - foam - ear plug etc But as I explained to SPOT in my lengthy note " I am baffled why I should have to Stuff the battery compartment to stop batteries possibly rattling loose" " when they claim and state it is built tough and rugged "
I shall report again once I recieve and test the replacement SPOT connect.
Stricko is offline   Reply With Quote