Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #1291
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,195
I've got a hard deadline on the bike. The season Finale of Game of Thrones is June 11th and I've got to make it to a party in Florida.

Okay, Mr. Wonka, I will!

A friend of mine made a picture of what it would look like if I had my own House, Game of Thrones Style.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #1292
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,876
I have yet to see this show, but damn! I want one of those crest things!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #1293
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
Wow, he just looks like a normal boofy kinda guy... who has been transported into a world about 30% smaller

Also, I couldn't wait with game of thrones and had to read all the books. Shits about to get serious
Nice house sigil
http://www.jointherealm.com/
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #1294
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

No kiddin'. I don't think I'm even going to be watching the finale. I'm going to be watching all the people that haven't read the books

bgoodsoil screwed with this post Today at 06:04 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #1295
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
Uhmmm....first of all...you're welds look great! Did you get a bottle? Second......isn't that the hyabusa muffler you just bought on your bench? Cut in half?? We can't have anything nice.
Oops. Sorry didn't see this.

yeah the pipe had some damage where the pipe rubbed into the tire. There was also a crack in the carbon fiber that ran most of the way around it. I cut it right at the crack.

I got a copper plate from the hardware and riveted over the patch with sealant behind it. I got steel washers behind the rivets so it wouldn't pull. You can see the two-reducer-ball-and-socket here too.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 01:38 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #1296
ontic

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
btw, I'd never spoiler anybody. Saying that Martin is about to kill several beloved major characters around which much of the plot revolves really isn't a spoiler
my lips are sealed

I love the yoshi pipe, I am on the watch on ebay for a similar cheapy. I've currently got a staintune adapted from another bike, but it is kinda ugly, heavy, too horizontal, and I figure I can adapt something much lighter and a bit narrower, at a nice angle, and with a little welding adjustment make more room for to bring luggage in closer.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #1297
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
*edit: btw, I'd never spoiler anybody. Saying that Martin is about to kill several beloved major characters around which much of the plot revolves really isn't a spoiler
That's about where I quit reading the books. I wanted to read them before the HBO mini series came out.

Turned out alright, we don't have HBO at the new place

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #1298
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
That's about where I quit reading the books. I wanted to read them before the HBO mini series came out.

Turned out alright, we don't have HBO at the new place
The show's good. I tell people not to read the first book--just watch the show. There are things left out and small things changed but it does follow the book. After that the series can't keep up with the depth of the story so they had to start altering things. They're still good but they really nailed it with Season 1.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 03:12 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #1299
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
I love the yoshi pipe, I am on the watch on ebay for a similar cheapy. I've currently got a staintune adapted from another bike, but it is kinda ugly, heavy, too horizontal, and I figure I can adapt something much lighter and a bit narrower, at a nice angle, and with a little welding adjustment make more room for to bring luggage in closer.
I got this as close as I could. My boxes are 29" wide so a bit narrower than the handlebar and maybe the tank bags. The left box was hard to mount and I found paint missing on the box. I did a little adjustment of my own Pops right on now!

I bent two 3/4" bars to make mounts for some cheap turn signals I found on eBay. The holes were already in the hand guards. My scale won't even pick them up so they're certainly lighter than most other lights. Of course, they're right on the guard so they're exposed. $8 shipped for the signals themselves. From now on every time I punch a tree at speed it'll be a "$4 Crash"

They're plenty bright. Wish I could say the same for the Arlen Ness turn signals.

I pulled this sticker off the rear fender of Len's r65. I put some clear packing tape over it to hold it together since the adhesive was gone. If you're gonna be on ADVRider, ya gotta master the Art of the Sticker.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 12:49 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #1300
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The new racks seem like they'll hold up alright.

Well, now I'm stuck. Bill can't get to me until Tuesday. He said he had to meet with his skin cancer doctor yesterday to get some things removed and it pushed his schedule back. He also told me had chronic kidney stones, 48 so far, AND that he was diabetic. He assured me though "I promise not to die before I get to your bike." That's a stand-up guy

I told him that he didn't have to worry about me dying before I get it to him. My bike doesn't run

While we're on the subject of dying in horrible motorcycle crashes, it's too bad Dennis Hopper didn't have a HPN tank in Easy Rider. I got 12 gallons of gas in this sucker. That hick'd go to Heaven in the same mushroom cloud that sends me there!

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 08:45 AM
Old 05-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #1301
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Bill told me to check compression before bringing the bike over since I removed the rings. He said they might not be seated right and it needs to be good right from the start to jet the carbs. So, I checked compression. 90 on the left and 60 on the right I had a good cry about it

The top end came off again. I scrubbed the cylinders with green pads and reassembled it bone dry with new rings. I hooked a toe strap from the crashbars to the back of my friend's truck and had him drag me around the block in gear. Jerk didn't even slow down for the speed bumps Man that was a wild ride! Compression was 125 on both sides afterwards and that oughta go up after break-in.

Unfortunately Bill's been having a lot of health problems and he told me it doesn't look like he can get to me even this week. That involved more crying

Quote:
The first thing I remember knowin'
was a lonsesome whistle blowin'
and a youngin's dream of growin'
up to ride
-Merle Haggard
In the meantime, stupid projects will continue.

These are aluminum mast steps. They're made to be mounted to a sailboat mast so you can climb to the top. I'ma bolt 'em to the valve covers and use them for highway pegs. I had welded some 3/4" tubing to the crash bars for pegs but I couldn't fit the bike through the basement door after I made 'em

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 12:13 PM
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #1302
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

The bike'll be at the shop in the morning!

I got the underseat toolbox finished since my rear tire would be throwing mud straight at the intake without it.

Nothing was straight so there wasn't much point in measuring anything. I don't think I could've gotten any more volume out of the box.

I made the whole thing out of 2 pieces of AL I got from a yard sale. One of my neighbors died and I got all sortsa goodies from his shop. One of them was this panel. It's got a GE part number whatever it is. It's the back plate.

The weight of the box rests on the frame and I put some rubber stripping where it contacts to keep it from rattling. I needed something to keep it from sliding off the frame though. I used an L-bracket bolted to the posts that held up the old battery tray. A 6m bolt acts as a locating dowel. I could put a nut on it but the seat keeps the box pressed down anyways.

I won't be getting much out of the back of that air filter.

It's a tight fit on both sides. I've got 1/4" of space from the shock. I think it'll keep the mud off especially if I get a shock sock.

It's 2 pounds empty so I'm adding more weight but it's solid and it'll hold all my tools plus a compressor. Besides, I dropped more than that when I ditched the stock battery tray/toolbox/airbox. I can keep all my tools onboard now even when I ditch the boxes.

I also added some red oak toppers to the boxes. I rewelded my subframe frame so the boxes would be exactly 7 degrees--the angle of the luggage rack. With these, I've got a big flat surface to put my firewood box on.

Since the boards are held on with jam nuts I was able to dial them in so that the surface is perfectly flat.

It was a cheap and easy project. The 4' board was long enough for both sides and a piece left over for under the battery. The board was $15 and the hardware was 5 bucks. For $20 I turned the bike into a flatbed

So, anybody out there know anthing about the preservation and care of red oak? ANYBODY!?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 08:36 PM
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #1303
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,654
Quote:

So, anybody out there know anthing about the preservation and care of red oak? ANYBODY!?
You're kidding....right?? No poly, use an exterior deck sealer/oil, I have some olympic semi transparent. Canyon brown and redwood. Thompsons clear comes to mind. will you be using them as cutting boards??? Linseed oil, mineral oil FDA approved......but no polyurethane of any kind. You need something you can continue to apply and absorb.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #1304
bgoodsoil OP
Dare to be Stupid

Yeah I figured you'd have something to say about it Thanks.

How much do I need for these two boards? Will any of those make them a bit darker?

Quote:
will you be using them as cutting boards???
I'm sure they'll get used for all sortsa stuff. The main use is to hold the firewood though. I cracked a bin hauling it on a trip in the Fall.

This is like waiting for Christmas. I'm supposed to have the bike at the shop at 10 in the morning.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #1305
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,876
for both? a half a pint, maybe.. but at least with linseed oil, (a great choice, imo) you can re-apply anytime. Actually you'll probably need to re-apply once a year at least. It will darken it slightly, but it will make it look richer, and more wonderful first.