Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #61
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
i think that the pvc is just to let water and debris through, but keep cattle from wanting to go through that area. creeks are hard to fence over.

btw i'm really enjoying the reports. keep them coming.
Thanks!

My mom suggested the same thing about the pvc pipe... and that really makes sense.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #62
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I am really enjoying your posts. I grew up in Sand Springs, parents from Stilwell area, and I still have property around there along with plenty of relatives. I don't get back enough and reports like your's make me homesick.

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #63
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

... more to follow shortly!

Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #64
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Westward Bound

There are a few threads on here I like to follow, one of them being the "How Bout' Some Okie Tag" thread. Some of you already know what that is, but for those of you who don't, basically it's a variation of the game of tag, where the person who is "it", snaps a picture of an object or place and their bike. Whoever finds this object/place is to take a picture of it with their own bike, and then goes to find the next object/place and post pictures of both the old and new tags in the thread. It's been fun following along, seeing some familiar places, but many of the places have been unknown.

One of the more recent tags was an "old west ghost town" at Ingalls, OK. I found where this was (finding these places is part of the fun/challenge), but I knew that I wasn't going to be able to ride for a few days still, and by then someone else was likely to have already found and tagged it. Sure enough, someone did, and the newest tag was much further than the time I had available to ride. But I thought the Ingalls, OK tag was fairly interesting, and coincidently enough, it was right near part of the OAT (Oklahoma Adventure Trail), so I thought I could ride a section of the OAT I hadn't ridden yet, see Ingalls as well. And who knows, maybe see some other stuff along the way. Regardless, I'd be out riding, and that's the main objective in the first place!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #65
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had recently been on a ride (my "Out and About" ride, posted earlier in this thread) in part of the area I would be going through, so I knew there would be some nice countryside, and also some decent dirt/gravel roads to ride. I quickly put together a route so I'd have something to follow on my GPS and not just wander around aimlessly. My original plan was to follow about 70 miles of the OAT, but since it started getting late on me, I had to divert and hit the slab so I could get home and take my wife to dinner.

Here's my original plan, with the route I ended up riding being the green tracks.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #66
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The weather forecast showed that it was supposed to be sunny with a high in the low 80s. So I geared up with the usual gear, threw on the Camelbak and headed out.

This trip took me on a few new roads (to me), but they were paved for the first 20 miles or so, finally leaving the pavement on Old Highway 66 for dirt.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #67
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I enjoyed riding this area, seeing only 1 or 2 other vehicles along the way. I knew I was getting close to the Heyburn Wildlife Management Area, where I had been a couple weeks ago, and remembered that I enjoyed this area, especially when I passed through an area of pines (I love that smell - it reminds me of my various trips to Colorado).

Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #68
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

As usual, I stop at old bridges or anything else that catches my eye. Actually I am trying to learn to be better at this, as it makes the ride more interesting in my opinion, versus just riding like crazy to get somewhere, and then back again.

There has been quite a bit of rain recently, but I didn't have any issues with the roads. There were actually a couple places on the ride where I was glad I had my knobbies on, but would have managed fine if I hadn't.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #69
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I usually ride fairly conservatively, so as to not get caught off guard and end up taking unexpected naps. And just so you know, no nap this time either .

I wish now that I had gone back to take a better picture, because trying now to explain how the road ahead of me at the time looked isn't easy. Basically the road looked fairly straight. I could tell there was a slight curve ahead, but it was more of an "S" and ended up fairly in line with where I had been looking ahead before. Anyway, I slowed as I approached these slight curves, and suddenly realized that the middle/angled part of this "S" was a bridge - with no sides or warning that I could see (although the marker could have been obscured with tall grass/weeds). If someone was trying to get smart and cut the corner of this turn, well it wouldn't be too smart and they'd end up in the creek or face planting the opposite bank.

Anyway, I rode across it just fine, but within feet after I left the "S", I realized how easily it would have been to mess up on it. I stopped up ahead a little ways and took this shot, but you can't see anything that I've described.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #70
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Somewhere along the way I missed a turn, as my color choice for the tracks on my GPS weren't the best, and the glare from the sun made it harder to see. This put me onto Highway 33 through Drumright instead of bypassing it and staying on gravel roads. Drumright had some really cool artwork on the sides of buildings, but I didn't get any pics until I came back through (and then only a few).

Here's a few shots from the Cushing area:

Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #71
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stopped at Cushing Lake for a break and a snack. Found a shady spot with a picnic table and rested a few minutes. Don't use the "restroom" unless you're really desperate, and not afraid of wasps. Other than that, it was just dirty and smelly with mud floors and walls full of graffiti and other stuff I don't care to guess what it was...

Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #72
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had seen on Google maps that there was a "road" on the east side of the lake that might connect to where I needed to be. So I headed out to find this road.

Along the way I saw some action at this rig:

The road led down to the east side of the lake, and from what I could see, there were more picnic tables, but was fairly overgrown and obviously not a popular place to picnic. A few people were there fishing.

After a little bit though, I ran into a locked gate that said something about leased land. Oh well, time to backtrack and find my way around. On the way around I saw this nice farm:

Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #73
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

At the north end of the lake was this bridge and dam:

Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #74
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I headed north through Ripley, crossed the Cimarron River, and then turned off onto River Road, which is part of the Oklahoma Adventure Trail.

Here's one of the OAT's waypoints, called "Cool wall".

I'm guessing this was the old bridge at some point, many moons ago. There are a few more remnants in and across the river.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #75
zekester63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More shots of the OAT. I was enjoying this section - well done to those behind this.