ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
South Va Road Info Needed

Hey ADVers - I'm looking for asphalt in SoVa;

Before my next operation, I'm thinking of finally getting to WVa & then visit a buddy in Virginia Beach. This trip will be before July 1.

Thus, looking for road info from Roantoke to Va Beach - Looking for fast sweepers / no slabs. Or should I cut East north of Roantoke? I'm thinking of cutting thru Harrisonburg from WVa.

After a brief look, I see Rt. 24 to Rt. 40. I'm factoring about 6 to 7 hrs of riding time between the two.

Like to know the must hit roads, even if I want to take some hiways as I get closer to Va Beach thats OK.

Thanks in advance
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Hey ADVers - I'm looking for asphalt in SoVa;

Before my next operation, I'm thinking of finally getting to WVa & then visit a buddy in Virginia Beach. This trip will be before July 1.

Thus, looking for road info from Roantoke to Va Beach - Looking for fast sweepers / no slabs. Or should I cut East north of Roantoke? I'm thinking of cutting thru Harrisonburg from WVa.

After a brief look, I see Rt. 24 to Rt. 40. I'm factoring about 6 to 7 hrs of riding time between the two.

Like to know the must hit roads, even if I want to take some hiways as I get closer to Va Beach thats OK.

Thanks in advance
RT 40 is a fun ride across the state. I'll ride it every time I head to W NC

58 along the border is fun in the hills, but very slab like from Martinsville east to VA Beach

33 into Harrisonburg is fun.

250 into Staunton is twisty-er

220 down to 311 or 43 to 40 would be fun
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
RT 40 is a fun ride across the state. I'll ride it every time I head to W NC

58 along the border is fun in the hills, but very slab like from Martinsville east to VA Beach

33 into Harrisonburg is fun.

250 into Staunton is twisty-er

220 down to 311 or 43 to 40 would be fun

Thanks

As I don't want to be hitting Friday rush hour traffic in So Va, I might slab I-64 from Staunton, as I'll be on the road about 4 hrs, before I get to Staunton. I'm thinking of taking I-64 East to Rt. 288 and then picking up Rt. 10 by Dutch Gap.

Take 10 to 258/17 into Portsmouth, then slab 264 into Va Beach.

What do U think? By looking at map - looks to be about a 400 mile day & get to Va Beach by 5pm.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Thanks

As I don't want to be hitting Friday rush hour traffic in So Va, I might slab I-64 from Staunton, as I'll be on the road about 4 hrs, before I get to Staunton. I'm thinking of taking I-64 East to Rt. 288 and then picking up Rt. 10 by Dutch Gap.

Take 10 to 258/17 into Portsmouth, then slab 264 into Va Beach.

What do U think? By looking at map - looks to be about a 400 mile day & get to Va Beach by 5pm.
64 east of Richmond is slab hell and Friday rush to the beach starts at 3:00pm

you'll be swinging near me with that route I live near Chester, VA

RT 10 to the beach is the way I go turn on 32 east of Smithfield, then 17 to 164 to 264

sometimes I'll stay on 10 to 58 to 264,

460 is a flat, straight, boring hell road. with a wicked speed trap in Waverly, VA
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
64 east of Richmond is slab hell and Friday rush to the beach starts at 3:00pm

you'll be swinging near me with that route I live near Chester, VA

RT 10 to the beach is the way I go turn on 32 east of Smithfield, then 17 to 164 to 264

sometimes I'll stay on 10 to 58 to 264,

460 is a flat, straight, boring hell road. with a wicked speed trap in Waverly, VA

Got it, thanks man - I do it the old fashion way - look at Bing Maps & type the roads I want on Word & print it out, fold into my ole Tank Bag map pocket & ride. From me in Eastern Pa, I've plotted a slab / twisty course for both daze riding - about 730 miles to Va Beach. Praying for no rain
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Got it, thanks man - I do it the old fashion way - look at Bing Maps & type the roads I want on Word & print it out, fold into my ole Tank Bag map pocket & ride. From me in Eastern Pa, I've plotted a slab / twisty course for both daze riding - about 730 miles to Va Beach. Praying for no rain
same here. route it out, write it down, stick it in the tank bag

I love getting lost if I screw up
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map