Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #61
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Oddometer: 162
Officially leaving on June 10th for Missouri!!!! One week to go!!!! Everything's confirmed and I'm more then ready..Have had trouble with Seat Concepts not returning my calls and messages, so unless I hear from them this week I'll be rocking the fraying stock seat for the ride. Not too worried about it, but I'm kind of over calling them every couple days with no avail. Anyone think a 16" Estwing axe is unnecessary for the TAT? I was wanting to bring something to chop firewood at night and an occasional downed tree on the trail. But I'm not sold on having to lug it around across country just yet. Any input would be much obliged. Cheers.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London

roaming_art screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 10:21 PM
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #62
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
look at the Sven saw...this thing is great. If you need to cut something bigger you better just go around...

TAT last year-

Couple of years back-

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #63
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Wow!!! Ive never even heard of the Sven saw, that looks like something right up my alley. Thanks for posting.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #64
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming_art View Post
Anyone think a 16" Estwing axe is unnecessary for the TAT? I was wanting to bring something to chop firewood at night and an occasional downed tree on the trail. But I'm not sold on having to lug it around across country just yet. Any input would be much obliged. Cheers.
As one Less Harley said----------------an axe is a horrible choice to make for cutting firewood or a tree out of the way.
It has no advantage over the Sven saw and many disadvantages.

The Sven saw weighs almost nothing----the axe is very heavy.

The axe is harder to pack-------the sven saw is so compact when folded you can pack it just about anywhere.

But the deal breaker is "ease of use".

IN the picture below the sven saw took very little effort and about one minute to cut thru that log.

Try that with your axe---------it will take forever and you'll be wore out.

There are 2 sizes of sven saws----------------don't get the short one---------it won't cut a log like the one below---it might but the short stroke you will be using will wear you out.

I never go camping without my sven saw. And just last year it cut a tree out of the way on the TAT that kept us form a huge re-route and go-around.
When people see my sven saw they are eager to try it out---------and of course I let them---while I sip some coffee and watch as the woodpile gets bigger !!!!

BigDog

On my WR250R (bike in front) I strapped it to my handguards---------see that red thing ??? That's my Sven saw---------completely out of the way and weighs almost nothing.
On my Husky I strapped it to my rear rack-----crossways.

KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-03-2013 at 04:23 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #65
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

"When people see my sven saw they are eager to try it out---------and of course I let them---while I sip some coffee and watch as the woodpile gets bigger !!!!"

Hopefully I can get an action shot of Nate using my saw while I'm hanging out in the background!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #66
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

I have been doing some last minute maintenance today. Swapped the front brake pads out, didnít need to do thisÖ at 28,000 miles the original front pads were still not up to the service limit mark, but Iíd rather save the space in the duffel bag then lug them around, cleaned the air filter, upgraded the sub frame bolts, checked the wiring harness out and so on. Also ran out and bought a foot of fuel line to be able to siphon fuel out of the gravity fed Yamaha Raptor fuel petcock. Very convenient, glad I did away with the vacuum petcock unit. So now Iíll be able to clean my air filter with the bikes own gasoline on the road without having to carry any unnecessary cleaner. Oh, and I did pick up the Sven Saw (21Ē), very cool, thanks for the recommendations, canít wait to use it on the trail! Thatís about it, head out Monday morning, probably around 9:00 am. Thatís 0900 for you military types. Hopefully Iíll be able to avoid some of the LA traffic by then. Some pics:

Didn't get a side shot of the old pads, you'll have to take my word for it.

Look at all that pad! Hopefully another 28,000 miles out of these

Clean, oiled, ready for the TAT!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #67
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,500
Using the sven saw

You are going to love the sven saw.

One thing about it that is very important--------well 2 things.

Don't apply downward pressure on the saw------it doesn't help----you almost let the weight of the saw provide the downward force-----------it will cut like mad using no pressure. Don't even put your hand on the top of it.

And---------------put some WD40 on the blade-----to keep it from rusting and it keeps the tree sap from sticking up while sawing.

My blade is a good year old------and it cuts like new--------new blades can be bought of course.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #68
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
You are going to love the sven saw.

One thing about it that is very important--------well 2 things.

Don't apply downward pressure on the saw------it doesn't help----you almost let the weight of the saw provide the downward force-----------it will cut like mad using no pressure. Don't even put your hand on the top of it.

And---------------put some WD40 on the blade-----to keep it from rusting and it keeps the tree sap from sticking up while sawing.

My blade is a good year old------and it cuts like new--------new blades can be bought of course.

BigDog
Thanks Mark! Well noted.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #69
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Been lurking your thread for a while now. Can't wait to follow along with this one. Good luck!
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #70
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
Been lurking your thread for a while now. Can't wait to follow along with this one. Good luck!
Sweet man! Glad to have you along!

Packed everything away into my bag tonight and was so excited that everything fit with room to spare for some food... Realized I haven't even considered the damn maps and roll charts, they've been sitting in my living room. Back to square one.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #71
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Since I used the maps and roll charts for navigation, I had to carry all with me. I used a waterproof roll top bag for storage, and put it into my top duffel. Every so often I would stop at a post office and send the used rolls/maps home in one of the packs that USPS sells. Actually, all three of us sent stuff home not too long after hitting the trail. I think it's common to carry too much "stuff". Light is Right! 'Hope you have your roll charts rolled "reverse" for storage, so you can thread them on correctly. I had all the rolls labeled and numbered, but doing it again, I would use some color coding, maybe colored rubber bands or Post Its with colored marks, to identify each state. To start with there are a LOT of rolls to sort thru. I suspect others have figured out better ways to tag them as I didn't get to it until right before leaving, and in fact, had to put a few together on the trail.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #72
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Since I used the maps and roll charts for navigation, I had to carry all with me. I used a waterproof roll top bag for storage, and put it into my top duffel. Every so often I would stop at a post office and send the used rolls/maps home in one of the packs that USPS sells. Actually, all three of us sent stuff home not too long after hitting the trail. I think it's common to carry too much "stuff". Light is Right! 'Hope you have your roll charts rolled "reverse" for storage, so you can thread them on correctly. I had all the rolls labeled and numbered, but doing it again, I would use some color coding, maybe colored rubber bands or Post Its with colored marks, to identify each state. To start with there are a LOT of rolls to sort thru. I suspect others have figured out better ways to tag them as I didn't get to it until right before leaving, and in fact, had to put a few together on the trail.
Thanks for the tips! I spent last night cutting and pasting TN together, rolling them backwards and numbering them. I think I'm going to store each states rolls in separate small zip lock bags, and keep those rolls together with the state maps in larger zip lock bags. And then everything will go into a dry bag and strapped somewhere. These things are still being worked out. Thank God TN is the only state you have to cut AND tape together! Took a little trial and error to figure out how many strips to tape together per roll. On the new, pre cut, colored roll charts I think I was taping 5 or 6 together per roll. Might try to make them longer today. Cheers!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #73
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,419
have fun and update often with pictures. You've got a steel rear chain ring I hope!!! Lube the chain every tank full or once a day.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #74
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
have fun and update often with pictures. You've got a steel rear chain ring I hope!!! Lube the chain every tank full or once a day.
Yessir, it's a steel Sunstar sprocket, replaced with a new chain and front sprocket simultaneously.

And yes, chain will be lubed daily, carrying 2 small 3 oz WD40 cans in my bag...

roaming_art screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 08:20 AM
Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #75
NeilZ
ADVrider

Oddometer: 28
Just got back from a 10 day TAT & other back roads ride (NE New Mexico to Rifle CO.) on a GSA by way of Cape Girardeau MO (MO, TN, AR, OK, NM, CO, KS, MO). Be prepared for windy conditions through Oklahoma and very chilly nights at altitude in CO. Cottonwood Pass was impassable (May 29), so we went through Kebler Pass (beautiful). Enjoy the ride.
NeilZ is offline   Reply With Quote