Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
stay safe out there
J5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #77
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,535
Just a heads up...went TN to OK last month. In AR the gas wells are popping up everywhere as well as oil/gas wells in OK. The big trucks/equipment are using a lot of the same roads (even smaller dirt roads) you'll be on. Nice bridges over a couple creeks but big trucks using them too. I went through on weekends so not too much traffic. To clarify, not throughout the entire routes in each state, just certain sections. If I recall more in the western sections of each. As NeilZ mentioned...the trees in OK point North for a reason. At times adds to "fun" of the gravel roads but not as bad as on the pavement.

Have a great time!

Also, I didn't have any tree issues but I got a "hand pull" chain saw chain type set-up to save space. Just stuck it under the seat. Never used it so can't advise but bow saw looks to be just as convenient.

SCflyer screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 11:44 AM
SCflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #78
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilZ View Post
Just got back from a 10 day TAT & other back roads ride (NE New Mexico to Rifle CO.) on a GSA by way of Cape Girardeau MO (MO, TN, AR, OK, NM, CO, KS, MO). Be prepared for windy conditions through Oklahoma and very chilly nights at altitude in CO. Cottonwood Pass was impassable (May 29), so we went through Kebler Pass (beautiful). Enjoy the ride.
Thanks for the update, good to hear a bigger bike then mine is riding these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5k View Post
stay safe out there
Always ready bro, never safe. Hahaha, glad to have you along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
Just a heads up...went TN to OK last month. In AR the gas wells are popping up everywhere as well as oil/gas wells in OK. The big trucks/equipment are using a lot of the same roads (even smaller dirt roads) you'll be on. Nice bridges over a couple creeks but big trucks using them too. I went through on weekends so not too much traffic. To clarify, not throughout the entire routes in each state, just certain sections. If I recall more in the western sections of each. As NeilZ mentioned...the trees in OK point North for a reason. At times adds to "fun" of the gravel roads but not as bad as on the pavement.

Have a great time!

Also, I didn't have any tree issues but I got a "hand pull" chain saw chain type set-up to save space. Just stuck it under the seat. Never used it so can't advise but bow saw looks to be just as convenient.
Thanks for the well wishes and advice. This will be interesting to say the least. Head out tomorrow morning, woot!
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #79
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Art is coming!!!!!

Well crap, Art is headed this way and I don't even know when I am going to change my oil on this trip. I feel a bit disorganized, but it will all play out.

i think I have all my electronics together that I am bringing on the trip and as soon as Sam C. drops me the email with the tracks the Garmin will be re ta go!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #80
LateNate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Tools

This is it, well almost, maybe a few more things.
It does have one or two spare parts in it too, but there is a separate spare part list of course.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #81
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

What up, bike started a bit rough this morning. Definitely a jetting issue as mine is tuned for sea level and I slept at 7,000 feet. Running fine though, bit warm, but it's also hot as balls out here. Hahahaha! I'm spending more money on water then food, but all's good! Just stopped in Holbrook, AZ. Going to ride through Petrified Natl Forest. Then on to Chaco Canyon for the night! This is friggin too much fun.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
Old 06-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #82
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

In Tejas, have loads of pictures, can't wait to share em, we'll be starting the rr when I get to Missouri!
Old 06-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #83
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

This is a pm and response in case anyone has any other thoughts about my air-fuel opportunity. Hahaha remember, it's not a problem, it's an opportunity to learn me something!

What jetting issues are you currently having?

Basically my carb has the .22 cent mod, slide drilled, screw out 2.5 turns....(rich for sea level conditions where air is abundant) so now when I'm getting into the 7,000 feet range (scarce air) she's turning over rough. Ill probably leave the main jet alone, but just take off the side cover and air box cover at elevation to increase air flow and maybe adjust my pilot screw as necessary if that alone doesn't cover it. That's what I've come up with my limited research at this point. -Art
Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #84
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Here it is boys...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...2#post21669052