User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 747
For adventuring, I'm debating this subject, 625, 62CSX, or Montana... I watch the Montana thread here on Adv, and I am spooked by all the complexity and glitches that are discussed on that thread. There seems to be a very big learning curve for the Montana. Is the Montana that difficult to learn? Other than the learning curve, the Montana seems to have a lot of good features, including durability and big screen plus auto-routing on the highway.

I ride trails and forest roads in MN and Ontario, take trips to Mexico including Copper Canyon, and I have a Latin America/South America expedition on my radar.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
[QUOTE=MikeS;21366678]For adventuring, I'm debating this subject, 625, 62CSX, or Montana... I watch the Montana thread here on Adv, and I am spooked by all the complexity and glitches that are discussed on that thread. There seems to be a very big learning curve for the Montana. Is the Montana that difficult to learn? Other than the learning curve, the Montana seems to have a lot of good features, including durability and big screen plus auto-routing on the highway.QUOTE]

I am at same decision point however 62 with no 12V is DOA, 78 is only hand held option.

The Montana has a ton of features but there is big difference between using it to do what you want and trying to master all the neet little tricks. I don't like the constant firmware updates. My big complaint with Garmin (and other OEMs) they can't just introduce new generation with increased capability, they have to change all the features that were working fine on last generation units. 78s are back on sale at WestMarine for $200, think I will pop.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
batteries or battery? NOOB

Which is better? 2 aa batteries, none recharging or a charging battery.
Do you need to have the unit, zumo 500 plugged all of the time?
Just use batteries like oregon 450?

Thanks

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic and navigator.
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
I'm not totally clear on the question as all the handhelds use AA batteries rechargeable or otherwise and some also take a rechargeable battery pack.

The Zuno only has a rechargeable battery pack lasting 4 or 5 hours.

Off pavement I would not use a GPS which can not be powered with AAs. If something goes wrong and your bike is dead you will only have several hours of battery life with a Zumo.

Pavement riding and hard wired the Zumo is very good.

AAs are cheap and available anywhere in the world.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,081
went thru 3 montanas, all broke for no reason and now 62S ( love the new one )
Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
NJjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Have a look at the Delorme PN series.

Frustrating at first but once learned it's a very good durable unit. Tracking, routing, topo maps.
NJjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
01Belgarda600
Bourbon Guzzler

Oddometer: 25
Gps

I use a Garmin Nuvi in the truck everyday and it suites that purpose well. (It is hopeless on its own battery though) Never used one on the bike before at all. The main feature I like with a gps is pin pointing where you are in relationship to an intersection. This way you can find yourself on the paper foldout map and continue to navigate. Has anyone used a "Trail Tech Voyager GPS" before? if so any comments. Are Australian DSE fire trails on most GPS' standard?

PS good points about the power conections, mounting and durability.
Cheers

01Belgarda600 screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:52 PM
01Belgarda600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
nwvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
went thru 3 montanas, all broke for no reason and now 62S ( love the new one )
Can you expand on how they broke? How were they mounted? How hard do you ride etc.

I'm looking at the Montana/Oregon/62s and am primarily concerned with durability. I don't want to plunk down some fairly serious cash to have the unit turn into a brick.
nwvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #24
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
For adventuring, I'm debating this subject, 625, 62CSX, or Montana... I watch the Montana thread here on Adv, and I am spooked by all the complexity and glitches that are discussed on that thread. There seems to be a very big learning curve for the Montana. Is the Montana that difficult to learn? Other than the learning curve, the Montana seems to have a lot of good features, including durability and big screen plus auto-routing on the highway.
I am at same decision point however 62 with no 12V is DOA, 78 is only hand held option.

The Montana has a ton of features but there is big difference between using it to do what you want and trying to master all the neet little tricks. I don't like the constant firmware updates. My big complaint with Garmin (and other OEMs) they can't just introduce new generation with increased capability, they have to change all the features that were working fine on last generation units. 78s are back on sale at WestMarine for $200, think I will pop.
For every whiner there are most likely a hundred happy owners and I don't care what the product is. I'm on my third Montana. One Garmin replaced due to hardware malfunction early in the build cycle. The second one I broke. The third one has many thousands of miles on it with NO issues. The Montana is just as easy to use as any other GPS. You CAN do lots of things to make it more compatible to your workflow (once you know what that is) but you certainly are not obligated to do so. Open the box, put the battery in it, turn it on and use it. There that wasn't to hard now was it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #25
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwvic View Post
I'm looking at the Montana/Oregon/62s and am primarily concerned with durability.
For Max durability, it is between Oregon and 78s, they have both been bullet proof. Touch screen of Oregon is probably a little less robust than buttons of 78 but also no durable external power. To answer your question about most durable 78 or 76 or 60 (with no internal batteries) hands down, nothing more reliable but do you really need it?

Montana has had many hardware and S/W issues but Garmin stands behind it so you will never own a brick. If you want external power, 62 is as far from durable as you can get. External 3rd party USB power supply and USB connector are all designed for desk top use not a vibrating motorcycle in the rain.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
For Max durability, it is between Oregon and 78s, they have both been bullet proof. Touch screen of Oregon is probably a little less robust than buttons of 78 but also no durable external power. To answer your question about most durable 78 or 76 or 60 (with no internal batteries) hands down, nothing more reliable but do you really need it?

Montana has had many hardware and S/W issues but Garmin stands behind it so you will never own a brick. If you want external power, 62 is as far from durable as you can get. External 3rd party USB power supply and USB connector are all designed for desk top use not a vibrating motorcycle in the rain.
I believe that the Oregon is the most durable of the three. Watch this video for the first few minutes - you won't need the audio to get the point.

Der Hammer

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 08:50 PM
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I believe that the Oregon is the most durable of the three. Watch this video for the first few minutes
Damn, that's serious durability testing. I'd like to see that with the Montana.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #28
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Damn, that's serious durability testing. I'd like to see that with the Montana.
Not with a Resistive Touchscreen. It's the Glass and "wrap-around" packaging that makes the Oregon that tough. If I had lots of money I'd give the Monterra the "Der Hammer" test.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
learhopper
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Question Garmin 62s or 78

Do you have to purchase road maps after buying either one of these units? Sorry (noob)
learhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #30
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by learhopper View Post
Do you have to purchase road maps after buying either one of these units? Sorry (noob)
Yes.

Dan
All Things GPS