User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 250
Talking The very finest of COLORADO

Here's the down and dirty... I just moved to Denver as part of the continuous tidal wave of rats jumping from the burning ship that is California... I'll be out here for a few months while I finish up another degree in nursing and plan on spending every spare minute either on my bike in the mountains or falling off my bike in the mountains. I've only been here 2 months and I think there's a better then even chance I'll be permanent infestation here in this ridiculous state... Here's why

Don't you worry baby birds, lots and lots and lots more pictures and some video to follow. This thread will be an ongoing project to document all the majestic lady parts of Colorado

BRUTSQD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Cyclenaut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Looking forward to more excellent photos....
Cyclenaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 636
Great country....

Those are some great photos of a super-great country. I can't ever get enough of the Rockies although we don't get the chance to see them very often, maybe once a year or so.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Welcome to America!!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Out the door

21:00 I roll into Denver with pants so wet I couldn't have made them wetter through incontinence or otherwise. Perhaps if I hadn't stopped off at Tommyknocker brewery for an Oatmeal stout and a reuben I would have beat the typical "no warning" Colorado thunder showers...

Totally glad I didn't though as the beer was very worth it. Anyways, that was last night. Tonight I sit here in my favorite study spot, Leela's Cafe in downtown. It's an eclectic mix of students, stoners, tweakers, businessmen and oddly dressed older gentlemen who are either trying to look eccentric enough for the young girls to talk to, or they're trying to look eccentric enough for the young boys to talk to. There always seems to be a couple of these Uncle Bad Touch characters here, I'll keep an eye on 'em.

Last night I rolled in at 9pm from what turned out to be one hell of a good 4 day run at the Southwest corner of Colorado. First time I had ever been there so I truly had no idea what I was in for. In retrospect had I known it would be such ride report rich material I would have done a better job cataloging each beer, pizza and shot of crown. My best friend was doing some firefighter training in Montrose so I thought I'd use the excuse to take a break from school and check out Ouray, Telluride and some of Alpine Loop. Time to assemble some panniers and hit the road. As no-one reads Playboy for the articles, here ya go..

Oh Snap... South to Colorado Springs, Hwy 24 past Pikes Peak(too much traffic to attempt), East to Buena Vista, Hwy 50 to Morrow Point Reservoir for a little camping...

Campsite hunting..

Dales?

The crazy part is I haven't even made it to the pretty parts yet...

Tomorrow: Ouray, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew trail and whole lot of cussing... Pictures haven't started yet..

Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,676
Awesome!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
Holy Sh#t! OMG!

Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Laugh Day 2

Slept ok but realized in the middle of the night I might need a warmer sleeping bag. My BigAgnes is rated for 15 degrees, but judging by the shrinkage in my business, I think they might be making an overly optimistic estimation. Pack up camp, blast the heated grips and hit the road. Today I'm headed to Ouray to see what all the hubbub is about.

Ouray. Pronounced Your-aye.

Love this little town. Steep mountain/cliffs on all sides, waterfall in the back ground and everybody has dirt on everybody. I stopped off and talked to the gals in the information booth about where to access the Alpine Loop. They told me the closest place was a trail called Corkscrew a couple miles up. The said she heard it was pretty rocky but should be ok on a motorcycle. ;) What's the worst that can happen?

Views from the trail

Corkscrew trail is a jeep trail that connects Hwy 550 to the Alpine Loop. Alpine Loop is a network of old mining trails, all dirt, mud, gravel and some snow. Corkscrew on the other hand was gravel, rock, switchbacks and rocky sections not necessarily cut out for big bikes. I think I dumped my bike 2 or 3 times on the way up and wound up sucking wind pretty hard with a helmet full of sweat by the time I got to the top of the trail. My knee is still bruised and swollen from one of the oopsies.

Periodically, along the trail there are old huts, antique remnants of mining equipment, marmots and the occasional bigfoot sighting. At times the drop off off the side of the trail is pretty impressive, a little spooky but gorgeous.

At the top of Corkscrew is an old abandoned house with another mining dig behind it. Ran into some people in jeeps out exploring. Had to take them up on taking picture as it's a rare opportunity for those of us who ride solo. Just wish I knew when he was taking the picture so I didn't look like a mouth-breather.

Shortly after the abandoned house, the treeline stops, the wind becomes absurd and the temperature drops like a rock. You instantly become acutely aware of every single drop of sweat in your gear as it turns to ice.

Bout damn time...

Engineer Pass

Like an idiot

The wind is a little brutal and I don't want my nipples to tear my Bandlands, on to Lake City..

Hit Lake city, North back to Hwy 50, West to Montrose. Met up with my bestfriend and his firefighter buddies, got drunk, fell out of the golf cart at full speed while getting a tour of the RV/camping park while being driven around by the owner who was also drunk, drank with an old wirey SR-71 pilot who I think could have kicked all our asses, stumbled back to the cabin and stuffed my face with cold stale spaghetti without a utensil... and the night fades to black. Solid day.

Tomorrow... Telluride, Last dollar, Ophir pass and back to Ouray pronounced Your-aye(get it yet?)

Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,457
Awesome thread!! Keep the photo's coming.

I'll be up there next week
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
Sweet pics, ill be in ouray in august, cant wait
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #11
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Stunning

Wow, what a breath taking part of the world. North America must surely be the stunningly natural beautiful place on the planet.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
woodzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanda View Post
Wow, what a breath taking part of the world. North America must surely be the stunningly natural beautiful place on the planet.
Yes! Truly a beautiful area. I'll be heading to Silverton in a couple of weeks and ride the very same places.......Can't wait.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Wish I'd known you were coming to Montrose, I'd have bought you ANOTHER beer!!!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #14
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Enjoying your RR..many thanks..have some stars
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 363
I'll be spending the first week of July in Lake City before heading off to the beemer rally in Salem and then north. Looking forward to seeing more of your Colorado adventures for riding ideas.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote