User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #61
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 449
The bike.

I got my V-Strom last year and when I took off on this journey it had 16.600 km (10.300 miles) on the clock.

I had a set of Michelin PR3 on the bike that had done 10.000km (6200 miles) prior to this trip. I thought about replacing them with some adventure-style tires, but decided against it, as they had plenty of tread left and I planned to stick to the tarmac (yeah right...).

You can see a list of the accessories and modifications I have added to the bike in #2

I am really impressed with how the bike handled everything I threw at it - from riding the autobahn hours on end with 160 km/h (100 mph) to navigating the often bad (or non existing) roads in Morocco.

I found the bike to be comfortable even after 8-10 hours of riding.
The power of the Strom was always adequate - I can't think of any point on this journey where I would have benefited from riding a more powerful bike..?

The engine had zero oil consumption and I didn't have any issues with the bike during the 8.800 km (5.500 miles) I did on this trip - only thing I had to think about was refueling ones in a while.
The average fuel consumption was 21 km/l (50 mpg) ranging from +30 km/l (+70 mpg) riding in Morocco to 13 km/l (30 mpg) blasting down the German autobahn.
The Strom has the aerodynamics of a barn door, so speed have a very big impact on consumption.

Chain maintenance was a breeze as I have a Scott oiler on the bike - only thing I had to do, was turn up the drip rate a bit when riding in very dusty or wet conditions. No adjustment of the chain was necessary during the trip.

Especially during the warmest days I enjoyed the low screen I have on the bike. It gave me a nice clear wind flow on the upper chest and around the helmet for better cooling and less wind noise.

All in all I can't think of a better bike for a trip like this than the V-Strom.
There are better bikes for hauling ass on the autobahn, there are better bikes for riding around the bumpy roads and tracks in Morocco and some bikes would be better on smooth winding roads - but if you want one bike to do it all the V-Strom is hard to beat.

Is the V-Strom a keeper..?
Yes it is - at least for a time.

Don T screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 02:33 PM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #62
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,104
Great ride report Don!

Only way for me to take a trip like that is to retire.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #63
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Great ride report Don!

Only way for me to take a trip like that is to retire.
Thanks.

Work taking up too much of the time is a problem for a lot of people.

I'm lucky to be in a situation where I have 8-12 weeks of paid vacation/time off every year - I know it's a privilege and appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #64
Clansters
Tour Aegea

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
I don't think that many people wonder any more - The V-Strom has by now proved its worth.

If you want a prestigious sophisticated state-of-the-art bike the V-Strom is not for you. If you on the other hand just want a reliable no-bullshit bike that gets the job done the V-Strom is hard to beat.
I agree!
My previous bike was a 2006 DL650 and untill last august I rode it for 65.000 km with pride and joy. It's a great bike and a work horse and a very fun ride.
Clansters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #65
Markaso del Norte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thumb

Thanks for the RR Don! I enjoyed you photos, especially Spain, and Morocco.
I would love to be able to do a trip by bike to Morocco. I have been to Spain, and Portugal in a car, And remember the great back roads.
I have owned a Vstrom for six years now. It gets me around!
Markaso del Norte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #66
Don T OP
Bike Addict

The route and a summary of my experiences in Morocco.

Here's a map showing my route through Europe and around Morocco - the colors indicate day stages:

Riding in Morocco was a great experience but in many ways very different from riding in Europe as I've done for the last +20 years.

The first thing that comes to mind is the difference in behavior between Europeans and Moroccans.
Europeans are generally reserved and mind there own business while most Moroccans I met on my journey was open, interested and often intrusive - which was mostly a good thing but sometimes a bit tiring.
Almost every time I got off the bike, people would come up to me and start talking. It made for some interesting interaction but sometimes I would have preferred a bit of peace and quiet when taking a much needed break.

Another thing that made it obvious that I was travelling in a Muslim country was the lack of women in the public space. The few I saw avoided all contact and simply disappeared if I took out my camera.

The roads and traffic in Marocco is a story in itself.

On many occasions I was riding along roads in reasonable condition (both tarmac and gravel) that suddenly and without warning turn in to stretches of road in a very poor state full of up to several feet deep and wide pot holes - or simply washed away/completely vanished.
Warning signs was a commodity so I quickly learned to keep the speed down and be constantly alert.

I never managed to find a common thread regarding the way the Moroccans behave in traffic. Generally they are casual drivers going well under the speed limit while placing their cars everywhere from far right with two wheels on the shoulder to going the wrong way in the opposite lane - especially in the countryside.
Besides that use of the indicators seldom had any relation to actual actions.

All in all Morocco was a great (albeit sometimes a challenging) experience.
To summarize it with a few words: Exotic atmosphere, friendly people, magnificent scenery and not least - great riding
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #67
Don T OP
Bike Addict

I finally found the time to edit some of the video I took with my GoPro while in Morocco.

Don T screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 10:11 AM