Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I'm in. I never made it further east than Prague when I was stationed there. Your photos are awesome!

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #32
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Few pictures from the All-Russian Exposition Center:

Monument to the Conquers of Space:

I should be hitting the road again on the 4th and heading towards Finland.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #33
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,650

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #34
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Funny Story

Forgot to include this in a previous post. Upon arrival in Moscow, I put my bike in paid parking for an hour or so to use the wifi in the cafe. After I had gotten in contact with my friend and let him know I arrived to his apartment I went to move my bike.

I drove it across the street and parked it behind a container in front of a market. Well this the door on this container soon opened because it was a shop, needless to say I had to move my bike.

Hop on, start her up and drive her 30 feet to the other side of the parking lot. I hit the killswitch, flip the key off and go to dismount. About halfway through this dismount process I realized something was terribly wrong...

One crucial step to getting off the bike is remembering to put the kickstand down. I have no clue what was on my mind to make me forget this but I did. She goes past the point of no return and I jump clear only to watch her bounce off the asphalt. In front of the train station, in front of dozens and dozens of people.

So I do the only thing a man can do in that situation and laugh at my stupidity and lift my bike up. At least I gave a couple kids and quite a few adults a funny story for the day. I remembered the kickstand the second time around.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #35
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 26?: On the road again

After spending 2 weeks in Moscow I was ready to hit the road again. I said good bye to my the people I was staying with, pulled my motorcycle from the depths of the market, loaded all my gear, and I was off. Lol joke. Naturally my motorcycle didn't want to start. I guess she was angry from 2 weeks of sitting. After many attempts she finally roared to life and now I was off.

Escaping from the suburbs of Moscow was the difficult part. It seemed like every road twisted back towards the massive city. I knew I was on the right path as the block housing slowly gave way to forests and the road condition slowly deteriorated. The plan was to head north towards Saint Petersburg.

Even Russian's try this trick. I doubled back for a picture with this fine officer.

I decided to find a place to camp tonight, and given that I was in the middle of no where it's not like I could find a hotel if I wanted to. I spent quite a bit of time looking for what I thought was a good place. Apparently I am a picky camper, "the grass is too tall here" "this ground is lumpy" "how is it possible to get this many mosquitoes from a plowed field?" Eventually I found what I thought would be a good spot but it was just the mosquitoes had gotten smarter. I walk out by the tree line to survey the area, the ground was good, only a few bugs, perfect I thought. I pulled the bike back there and as soon as I unloaded the gear the cloud of mosquitoes showed back up. I ended up putting my motorcycle helmet back on to set up the tent.

The sunset that night. Which was deceiving, it never got dark that night.

Ending Point: Somewhere north of Moscow
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #36
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 27: There are only 2 things to fear in Russia: The roads and fools

Starting Point: North of Moscow

I decided to sleep in, since it never got dark I didn't see a point in getting up when it got light. Around 8 AM I started packing up and the number of mosquitoes had declined but still warranted a fully geared up tent break down. After finding some pavement to grab breakfast I noticed my top rack was sitting a bit crooked. Further examination showed I was extremely close to catastrophic failure. Approximately 0.5 inches of uncracked metal was holding this puppy on. The rough roads had not been nice and my speed may have played a small part in it...

Out came my spare strap and I tied it down the best I could. Only 400+ kilometers to Saint Petersburg I slowed my speed considerably and pressed on. I ended up using a larger highway in hopes of better road conditions to preserve what little life this rack had. Some how it worked and I ended up making it to St. Petersburg with all my luggage still attached.

My original plan was to simply roll into this large city and stumble upon a place to stay. After an hour or so of driving around I was cursing myself for thinking this was a good idea. After stopping next to the Baltic Sea to check my map a gentleman on a bicycle came up to ask where I was from. He asked in English so at least he knew I wasn't from that area. We chatted for a while before I explained my plight. He knew where a hotel was and told me to follow him. I clocked his bicycle speed at 28km/h, not to bad with a kid on the back.

He dropped me off at a hotel that I knew was way out of my price range. I felt extremely out of place walking into a 4 star hotel covered in two days and 800km worth of road dirt and enough dead bugs to start a decent insect collection. The price for one night was 10,500 rubles ($325), I politely declined.

I set out into the city once more to find some wifi and hopefully a place to stay. While I was parked on the sidewalk with my laptop out a guy on a yamaha 250 stopped by as he was splitting traffic. I explained my situation and a few phone calls later I was keeping up with him the best I could. Driving around in Russia is much different from what I am use to in the States. He helped me find a hostel and we exchanged contact info before he parted ways.

Ending Point: St. Petersburg
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
Faulpelz
Offroader

Oddometer: 74
At this time in St. Petersburg : белые ночи (belyye nochi)
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #38
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
so, where did you stay ,how was it , how much?
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #39
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
so, where did you stay ,how was it , how much?
I found a Location Hostel for like $20ish a night. This is the first hostel I have ever stayed at and its a new experience that's for sure. I signed up for couch surfing so I will be doing that starting tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Nice ride and report. Epic ride for it is your first motorcycle and first trip even. How long are you gonna stay in Piter? I will be there in a bit more than a week, could be fun meeting up for a drink or three.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #41
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
Nice ride and report. Epic ride for it is your first motorcycle and first trip even. How long are you gonna stay in Piter? I will be there in a bit more than a week, could be fun meeting up for a drink or three.
Thanks, PM sent.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #42
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 28: A Quest for a Welder

I had one goal for the day and that was to get the bike fixed. Considering I had about 8,000 km left to travel before reaching my next friend it was kinda important. The friend I met the previous day had given me directions to a motorcycle shop so hopefully this would be a quick process. I walked through the door to find a showroom full of shiny KTMs and not a repair bay in sight. After explaining my problem by making the universal breaking motion (i think) I was informed they couldn't help me and didn't know a place that could.

Walking out the door with my head hung a little low I was stopped by a patron who had over heard my problem. He made a phone call to an enduro buddy of his and then to a 4x4 shop who also worked on ATVs and Motorcycles. Things were starting to look up after all. A few minutes later I had a shop name, street address, and word that they could fix my problem. I thanked him multiple times and set off to find this new shop.

This shop was more my type, I pulled into a yard to find 4x4s of all sorts and a multitude of shop bays. A few minutes after explaining the issue, I was pulling off the rack and the welder was getting fired up. They all took a genuine interest in my bike and my trip which I was more than happy to talk about. An hour later I had everything fixed, an oil change completed, and a bunch of new stickers to decorate my bike with. And to even make things better when I inquired about parking a bike in the city they offered a spot in their shop. With the bike safe I was now free to explore.

St Petersburg is truly a beautiful city.

Chocolate Museum

Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #43
jnorton1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Great report!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #44
Kempy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Nice write up subscribed
Kempy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #45
eightup OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Guess I should finish this eh?

Day 29: St. Petersburg

With the bike fixed and stashed I was now worry free. Looks like Russia would not be keeping my motorcycle after all The hostel was located close to the center of town so off I went on foot to enjoy the sights and eat more food I couldn't pronounce.

First would be to the main square and winter palace:

The inside of the Winter Palace was even more impressive. I could have easily spent a week or so but there was a lot to see. I happened to overhear an English speaking couple while I was there:

In reference to a gold and jewel covered bible cover

Man: *elbows his wife/girlfriend* Hey look at this
Woman: Yea it's pretty
Man: It looks like a 4 year old glued on the jewels.
Me: *laughter*

Michelangelo's Crouching Boy sculpture.