User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Big Rodger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Qatar riding friends

I may be relocated to Doha, Qatar sometime this summer. I am interested on the riding scene in the area. I've heard that the dirt biking in the desert is fun, but don't have any experience on sand riding. Is the adv dual sporting good there? I like riding the roads, but prefer off road more for some reason. For those who have been there or who live there, let me know what you think.

How about bikes? Would it be best to buy here in the US and ship, or would it be a better idea to buy there. I was thinking about buying a KTM 950 SE before I found out I move to Qatar. Would this still be a good bike there or do I need to look at something a lighter?

Thanks for the info in advance.
Big Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Hey mate,

Best to check this more Gulf oriented forum out:
http://www.dubaipetrolheads.com/

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Big Rodger OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I checked the site out. Not much on there for the Qatar area. Does this mean there is no riding in Qatar? Am I going to have to take up golf while I'm over there, I really don' like golf?
Big Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Not in Qatar but i'm your friendly neighbour in Al-Khobar, Saudi Arabia.

Qatar is largely sand desert and sabkah (salt bed) so don't expect twisty mountain roads for riding pleasure. Instead, enjoy dune bashing in your 4x4 or a 250-450mx/enduro machine.

I ride an '07 Adv990S and if you look up my trip reports and pics you will see that touring and desert riding are what i primarily engage in. Touring to get out of Saudi in the hot summers (50+DegC, >95% humidity in the coastal areas) and desert riding in the winters (5-25DegC, fantastic weather).

The LC8 are tall, big and heavy but i have learnt to play with them in the sand. Its FUN !!!

Don't pick up an expensive bike for which you won't get good resale value If you are not gonna be in Qatar for a long time (say >5yrs). Instead pick up a cheap dirtbike (5-7KUSD) and ride the shit out of it. Anyway, there's no point in bringing a bike from US unless you are attached to it and can;t live without it.

The riding scene is so-so and there is i think a Qatari bikers forum. Like in most of middle-east it would be predominantly harley and superbike crowd.

let me know if you need more info.

cheers
Vicks
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Yer Maun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Highest point in Qatar is approx. 300ft and the country is small. Desert, dunes and sand beds in abundance but over the shoulder necessary for the land cruiser fraternity.
When I moved here first almost 3 years ago I toyed with the idea of an enduro type purchase (still bikeless though), and the guy in the Honda dealership was encouraging through joining his group that ride at weekends in the desert.
Harleys in abundance on the street on Fridays, traffic is at it's lowest volume tht day. Some street bikes during the week but lanes are not adhered to by cagers and it's even dangerous when you're in your own SUV. Temps over 50c in the summer but winters are cool and it even rains occasionally.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #6
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Maun View Post
Highest point in Qatar is approx. 300ft and the country is small.
I was feeling bad for you guys when i thought about ppl living in the small piece of land between Saudi & Qatar called Bahrain

they apparently even hold a "bike week" in Bahrain. a ride must end in like 06'30"
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #7
padin1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
check out this group Qatar Duners

http://www.facebook.com/groups/14237488802/
padin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
scottmctag
Well travelled

Oddometer: 156
Qatar exposed

I have a KTM 530 exc Factory edition (new and only worked on by me all extras and good parts imported)
I have been here for 5 months, but have lived and rode all over
BUYING
I am on my 2nd bike first one was a piece of shit Suzuki (proceed with caution when buying 2nd hand due to lack of maintenance intervals, maintenance knowledge, good oils (no air filter oil) and spare parts, poor dealer skills, people leaving the country and selling up so avoid all maintenance before they go..... Kerching $$$$ ) it is a case of too much money, greed and no idea here
EQUIPMENT
Riding kit is randomly available but no variety or choice and costly, so bring your own
ROUTES
The riding groups here as with most places have their cliques and pretty much do the same ride every weekend whether it be road or off road (there are no corners in this country for good road rides and inland sea ride seems to be the only of piste ride, no real A to B to C rides)
EXPERIENCES
I bought my bike from Alfadan what a joke they are dodgy lazy lying bastards ! used Suzuki seem OK, but no parts or microfiche for 2007 rm 450 I haven't dealt with the others but have heard a few things I didn't like the sound of
.CONTACTS / GROUPS
So regardless off these things...... you ask a guy called Gaby to add you to a google group mailing list
qatar-duners@googlegroups.com for all the info on what's going on and where also there is another group called" qatar knee dragers " and arabic site called" qatar bike" so whatever floats your boat
FUTURE
I plan to circumnavigate the coast or as close as I can of the whole country over a few weekends and looking for another duel sport rider to do this with if anyone reads this or is interested scottmctag@hotmail.com

feel free to comment or contradict these are only my observations based on my own experiences and knowledge DILLIGAF
KTM was founded in 1934 by Hans Trunkenpolz and was initially known as Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz. later, in 1953, an Austrian businessman named Ernst Kronreif bought a large share of the company which was the renamed to Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen (KTM).
scottmctag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
Oman Biker
Old but not slow!!

Oddometer: 6
Qatar

I'd pretty much agree with what Scott said regarding riding in Qatar. The only point I'd differ on is Alfardan....I got really good service when I bought my Speed Triple from them although everything is double the price in the UK, even after 'discount'. A problem I found was that the 'expats' are pretty much a clique when it comes to road riding and at the Friday morning meet at Starbucks you could be left sitting there on your tod because nobody bothered to talk to you. Perhaps it was because I had a Triumph and they all ride Ducatis in the main.

I bought a TRX 450 R for the beach/dunes new from the Honda dealer (Richard from Wales no longer there). I bought a quad as I have a collar bone which has been broken 3 times and, at 60, the docs told me not to do it again. I thought the quad would be safer than a bike and promptly launched mysel off a fecking great dune the second time I rode it....
The guys who offroad are a much more sociable bunch than the road riders for a new face in my experience.

I have now moved to Muscat and just waiting to get my KTM Adventure shipped down here...the roads and the mountains are great and there are some lovely twisties to paly on....can't wait.
Oman Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
scottmctag
Well travelled

Oman is way cooler !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Biker View Post
I'd pretty much agree with what Scott said regarding riding in Qatar. The only point I'd differ on is Alfardan....I got really good service when I bought my Speed Triple from them although everything is double the price in the UK, even after 'discount'. A problem I found was that the 'expats' are pretty much a clique when it comes to road riding and at the Friday morning meet at Starbucks you could be left sitting there on your tod because nobody bothered to talk to you. Perhaps it was because I had a Triumph and they all ride Ducatis in the main.

I bought a TRX 450 R for the beach/dunes new from the Honda dealer (Richard from Wales no longer there). I bought a quad as I have a collar bone which has been broken 3 times and, at 60, the docs told me not to do it again. I thought the quad would be safer than a bike and promptly launched mysel off a fecking great dune the second time I rode it....
The guys who offroad are a much more sociable bunch than the road riders for a new face in my experience.

I have now moved to Muscat and just waiting to get my KTM Adventure shipped down here...the roads and the mountains are great and there are some lovely twisties to paly on....can't wait.
Thanks for your input Oman Biker ( at first I thought you were doing 60 mph when you broke your collar bone ....... but you are way more amazing than that ....... go on ...... ) what do doctors know any way ? ( The older I get............ the faster I was.......... )

Also ride a 950 adv all year round back home and throughout Europe......quality bikes

I Lived in Oman for a year in 2007 and it is an excellent country in general and for some offroad action and the Nationals are a much nicer breed of people (please forgive me for generalising) but I was hoping Qatar would be as good as Oman ah well not to be

Try hooking up with these guys Mats & his mate this ride looks amazing and varied unlike Qatar !!!!

[IMG]

Oman Offroad 2011 from mats on Vimeo.

[/IMG]
KTM was founded in 1934 by Hans Trunkenpolz and was initially known as Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz. later, in 1953, an Austrian businessman named Ernst Kronreif bought a large share of the company which was the renamed to Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen (KTM).
Old 12-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
scottmctag
Well travelled

Get a visa for oman ?

Visit Oman........... or Qatar inland sea & back...????

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Oman Biker
Old but not slow!!

Oddometer: 6
Ah...the Inland Sea. That was a favourite ride of mine at the weekend. One way over the dunes and the other way along the beach. We actually ventured too far one day and got accosted by the Saudi police in a Landcruiser. They were ok about it, just turned us round and watched us for a while.
I really enjoyed my TRX, and would certainly recommend it to anyone buying a quad. Mine came with the race kit and I also fitted a twist grip throttle, (very) noisy pipe, and paddle tyres. The paddle tyres were amazing....never got stuck once.

I actually enjoyed riding on the road in Doha in a perverse sort of way although it was so easy to get too cocky and end up 'filtering' at crazy speeds. The Speed Triple was a great bike for it and with a full Arrow system on it the 'cages' all heard you coming. I used my bike most days and clocked up over 8000kms in a year. The local guys used to crease me up with their antics....I followed 3 of them from Al Saad signal to Villagio one night and they did stand up wheelies the whole way apart from stoppies a red light. You would just never even think of buying a bike from them. And I just know that Oman is going to be way much more fun.

BTW, the last broken collar bone was 4 years and was the result of a 80mph highside just outside Aberdeen on a brand new BMW R1200s I'd just bought. Picked the bike up in Dundee at 1.30 and was in Foresterhill by 5.00.....one of the more embarrassing moments in my 45 years of biking I'm afraid.
Oman Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
DumDum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi there guys, I am also heading up to work in Doha from mid January 2012. I will not be able to bring my bike with me though, but will be looking out for something when I am settled in there, maybe a 450 or 525/530, who knows?

Thanks for the info!

Hope to be out riding quick quick
Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
scottmctag
Well travelled

ktm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumDum View Post
Hi there guys, I am also heading up to work in Doha from mid January 2012. I will not be able to bring my bike with me though, but will be looking out for something when I am settled in there, maybe a 450 or 525/530, who knows?

Thanks for the info!

Hope to be out riding quick quick

HeY !
DD I like your style good choices
What do you need second hand or new. Road legal or pure dirt ?
I can keep an ear to the ground .................................................. ... I am out Jan 12th Return Jan 26th
Join Qatar duners (google group ) and ask the question if you need 2d hand or I know the KTM sales guy ( nothing in it in case you wonder just trying to help )................................................. .............
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
maiden.jade
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Sorry for reviving an old thread but seems like this is the only thread regarding riding in Qatar.

I'm moving to Qatar this coming August and will be on a two-year contract. Can someone please suggest the following:
- Is it worth bringing my riding gear? The company is paying for the shipping.
- Since I need to take a driving class, I assume I'll have to take a riding class. Am I right?
- I get time off from work every 10-12 weeks, for about a week or so. I'd like to go on short motorcycle road trips. Organized motorcycle trips are really not my thing. What can I do?
maiden.jade is offline   Reply With Quote