User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
go2cnavy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
The little ones bite hard

When I was 18, I had to ride in a father/son race at Glen Helen as the "father" for my friend Lance's younger brother since his dad was already riding with Lance - looped out the pipey little KX 60 after trying to recover from getting stuffed in a berm by a CR500...bruised tail bone and broken wrist. Stupid little bike!

Fast Forward 20 years... Last weekend, I broke out my son's KLX 110L to do a little test run. I had just finished putting the bike back together after draining the gas and cleaning the carb and filters.

Wearing only flip flops and shorts, I started it up, rode out the shop door and into the backyard...ok, I had no gear on.

Immediately wheelied through second gear and sent the front end down softly... WHAM! Body slammed onto my right side as my face ate up the grass on my way into the flower bed.

"WTF just happened" ran through my head after the stars went away. Turns out the bars were bent (my son told me afterwards that he bent them this winter) and when I set the front end down the bars were straight but the wheel was pointed far enough to the left to create a mini-highside, which threw me onto my side like a fucking rag doll.

Had I walked the bike through the doorway, I might have noticed the bars were bent. Had I had gear on, it would have been a soft and easy bail. I'm thankful (1) my wife didn't see it happen, and (2) that I was in the grass.

STUPID KAWASAKIS

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,967
Glad you're OK and your wife didn't see it.
Did she ask about the new trench that ended in the flower bed?

Has enough time passed that we can laugh at you? It's hard to resist with the mental image I have from your description.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I started to cringe at "flip flops and shorts".
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
go2cnavy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
Glad you're OK and your wife didn't see it.
Did she ask about the new trench that ended in the flower bed?

Has enough time passed that we can laugh at you? It's hard to resist with the mental image I have from your description.
Yes you can laugh. I did after I checked for 10 fingers and 10 toes. I feel like a jackass, but figured I would share so others may benefit from my stupidity. Been riding forever and never ride any of MY bikes without full gear and constantly harp on my son. When he asks to ride in the back yard with just a helmet on, I say no. But DAD rides in squid gear cause "it's just in the back yard and I'm on a little bike"...right

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
You are Darn Right, I ride my wife's XR100 without any gear all the time. Its not like I am on my XR650... Such a little, light bike, who needs gear, what could possibly happen

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 241
I'm sorry but I had to laugh at your misfortune.
But I am also very glad you were not hurt..............
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Bwahaha

Nice.

Bent handlebars=disaster
I bent mine on a ride in the mtns, proceeded to wreck 3 more times. The first two crashes I had no idea what went wrong. third time my camera was pointing straight down, (it had hit a branch earlier and I hadn't fixed it)
Did a small wheelie, front time came down, and just like you said WAM.
Wasn't until that evening watching some of the footage on my phone I saw the tire was turned when it came down.

At least you're smart enough to not keep wrecking because of it. (even if I was smart enough to be in gear for my wrecks?)
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
chambersc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Several years ago a buddy of mine who had a motorcycle shop built a single jump out back when he had to do some dirt work for a sewer line problem. One night (beer was involved) we're taking turns (almost dark out) jumping his son's Yamaha PW.

Of course, in proper beer drinking/kids bike attire. Shorts and sandals.

Anyway, I land hard and bottom the suspension, case the bike, and topple end over end to the neighbors fence. Old man is standing out there watering just shaking his head. I walked away but I hurt like hell.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
crg infidel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Little bikes are the worst! They just seem so harmless. That's why I was doing burnouts inside my shop with the daughter's CRF50 the other day. What fun, until the damn thing gets away from me and proceeds to attempt to climb the wall

Of course I grab the brake....the front brake. It was less than effective in reining in a rampaging 50 with the tire 2 feet off the ground..

But it was still fun!
crg infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #10
douglasb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Eek It's the little ones alright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
You are Darn Right, I ride my wife's XR100 without any gear all the time. Its not like I am on my XR650... Such a little, light bike, who needs gear, what could possibly happen

Mike
Not to highjack your thread, but this is surreal...our "little" XR100 jumped up and bit me 4 weeks ago. That's my right collarbone in pieces below. I need to get the "after" shot with all of the hardware (a 6" plate with 6 screws) installed

I had jeans, boots and and t-shirt on. Scared my wife something awful. The worst part is that we had RIDDEN up to our place in PA on the GS Adv and I needed to have an ambulance take me to the hospital. Ugh.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg infidel View Post
Little bikes are the worst! They just seem so harmless. That's why I was doing burnouts inside my shop with the daughter's CRF50 the other day. What fun, until the damn thing gets away from me and proceeds to attempt to climb the wall

Of course I grab the brake....the front brake. It was less than effective in reining in a rampaging 50 with the tire 2 feet off the ground..

But it was still fun!
I did the exact same thing one night after a few too many beers. Burnout turned into a wheelie, which turned into me nearly throwing the thing on top of a workbench. Looped it out and just held on to the thing as it swung up off the ground, then almost hit myself in the face with the damn thing.

Screw bikes with no clutch. Stupid little things.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Roland44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post

Mike
You would be surprised of what it could happen. I hope you never find out though...
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote