Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
graygoat657 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Help: Crowd Sourcing a GPS

I have wandered various GPS threads for hours, loitered on GPScity until my eyes blurred and fondled different models at various retailers. And still I can't make a decision, so its time to ask for help on choosing a GPS.
Here are the parameters: GPS will handlebar mount on a XR650R. Most likely will only use batteries as it has a BD DS kit with stock stator. Day rides only, up to 250-300 miles in length. Following gravel and dirt roads in a neighboring county. Not planning on any multi day rides or interstate travel. Will not be doing any monkeying with the GPS on the fly(moving), just checking to make sure I am on the right track and maybe looking for a gas station or food when stopped at an intersection. Would like to be able to plan routes and import and play with and create routes using tracks (I think the software side of things will take care of this). I am sticking with Garmin to keep it simple(and yes I realize that they are a necessary evil). I have considered everything from GPSMAP 62XX to Oregon to Montana (too much$$ for me). The Map76xx looks to be too large in size, and not sure if the Etrex series will do what I need.
Would like to stay in the $300 neighborhood minus software and mount but can go up or down a bit.
Please help a Noob.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
First what is issue with BD DS kit? If it has 12V battery that is fine. The GPS does not use any power to speak of, stator insignificant.

Most people on dirt bikes prefer small screen hand helds. They all have about the same screen size, Cheap way out is E-trex and with no buttons is also smallest case. Far more popular are GPS with buttons old 60/76 or new 62/78. They are all the same size 60 had problem with vulnerable antenna, not sure if 62 is stronger or not but 62 has not 12 V input so that is DOA for most people. I would go with used 76Cx <$100 or new 78 $200.

They will all do the same thing if you install City Nav maps. Add $175 for City Nav, RAM mount, and power cord.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
graygoat657 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
First what is issue with BD DS kit? If it has 12V battery that is fine. The GPS does not use any power to speak of, stator insignificant.

Most people on dirt bikes prefer small screen hand helds. They all have about the same screen size, Cheap way out is E-trex and with no buttons is also smallest case. Far more popular are GPS with buttons old 60/76 or new 62/78. They are all the same size 60 had problem with vulnerable antenna, not sure if 62 is stronger or not but 62 has not 12 V input so that is DOA for most people. I would go with used 76Cx <$100 or new 78 $200.

They will all do the same thing if you install City Nav maps. Add $175 for City Nav, RAM mount, and power cord.
Thank you for the response, kind sir. Was not sure on current draw for GPS so I figured the BD DS kit would be over taxed if I added it. This information helps me make some decisions. I did find a universal power cable for the 62 series, but it does not charge the batteries, only conserves them. Will take a harder look at Etrex and 78 series. I have an old 76 series, but it has the vertical line screen issue, so not sure I trust it.
Again, thanks for the help to a rather open ended question.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoat657 View Post
Thank you for the response, kind sir. Was not sure on current draw for GPS so I figured the BD DS kit would be over taxed if I added it. This information helps me make some decisions. I did find a universal power cable for the 62 series, but it does not charge the batteries, only conserves them. Will take a harder look at Etrex and 78 series. I have an old 76 series, but it has the vertical line screen issue, so not sure I trust it.
Again, thanks for the help to a rather open ended question.
NO NO NO, the 62 does NOT have a 12V power input. All it has is USB which is not ment for motorcycle use, many threads on this.

None of the hand helds charge internal batteries only run GPS.

Clue on power is 2 AAs last 8-20 hrs, motorcycle battery would last weeks without charging.

What is "Vertical line screen issue"?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
graygoat657 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
NO NO NO, the 62 does NOT have a 12V power input. All it has is USB which is not ment for motorcycle use, many threads on this.

None of the hand helds charge internal batteries only run GPS.

Clue on power is 2 AAs last 8-20 hrs, motorcycle battery would last weeks without charging.

What is "Vertical line screen issue"?
Ahhh....got it. So can wire, but the 12v line will only power the unit, but even then I am risking failure of the usb plug due to vibration, moisture, etc. Sounds like its batteries for me then.
The "vertical line screen issue" is where the unit functions normally for a while then the screen goes blank with a LCD single line running up and down the screen. I have to either take the batteries out or unplug it from its power cable to get it to "reset". Then it does it again, again after 15min to hour of operation. Found a thread or 2 on about it out somewhere on the interwebs.
Thank you sir.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

So can wire, but the 12v line will only power the unit, but even then I am risking failure of the usb plug due to vibration, moisture, etc. Sounds like its batteries for me then.

The "vertical line screen issue" is where the unit functions normally for a while then the screen goes blank with a LCD single line running up and down the screen.
What I am saying is only buy a GPS that runs on 12 V (60/76/78/not sure about e-trex). Do not buy one that only runs on USB power (Oregon/62). They have both vibration failure of connector and failure of external 5V power supply that frys GPS.

Interesting, with all my customers I am not aware of that failure mode. If it were a tube TV, obviously the horizontal power supply. Bottom line that one is very very obscure, lightning will not strike twice (however, please don't stand next to me).
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
graygoat657 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all your help.
As for the screen issue I found this:http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=780012
I tried the hard reset and will test the unit tomorrow. May not need a new unit after all. This "old" map 76 may work yet. Going to update the firmware and see if I can find of City Navigator on DVD locally. Wish me luck.
*Edit* The hard reset did not work. Vertical line appeared within 10 minutes. It maybe time to let this bury this old dog. Its almost 10 years old and the data cable doesn't fit any of my computers. Oh well.

graygoat657 screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 09:54 PM
Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It maybe time to let this bury this old dog. Its almost 10 years old and the data cable doesn't fit any of my computers. Oh well.
You are actually using an old 76 not 76C or much better 76Cx?

You will not believe the difference in performance when you finally move up.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:

Heck, I was using my old Magellan Meridian Plat. up until this year. Finally had to upgrade.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
graygoat657 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I drug this thing out of storage to see if it would work with my set up. Got it for free years ago. When I realized it was probably out of commission I started shopping for something more current. And your right, even when it would work, it was like using an Atari 2600 to play space invaders.

Found an Etrex 20 on sale locally for $135 at Academy Sports. Figured at that price I would give it a try and learn what I need and like. If I hate it, my son can inherit it for camping or whatever.