Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #4726
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
Has anyone tried these racks?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KLR-650-Side-...RTM759771#shId

I like the price. They're almost cheap enough to make it not worth while making my own, though these wouldn't be as sturdy as something I make myself.
I have them. Fitment and function is better than I'd hoped. I did end up taking them to a welder to tack on an additional washer on the base mounts.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #4727
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
I want to paint my tank and plastics. My tank is dented on both sides (previous owner) and I don't really feel like sanding it, am I able to use a few coats of primer first then some paint?? Then possibly a layer or two of clear sealer?? I've heard krylon is the go to for painting these bad boys... This true? Open to suggestions.

One Fat Roach screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 09:19 PM
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 AM   #4728
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
I have them. Fitment and function is better than I'd hoped. I did end up taking them to a welder to tack on an additional washer on the base mounts.
Thanks. They certainly don't look as heavy duty as some other racks, but that also means they're not as heavy.

I've got soft bags to go on the bike, so I'm sure the racks will do fine for that. Just wondering if they'll be strong enough for a roto-pack, or for if I ever want to put on hard luggage, like pelican cases.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #4729
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,024
Quote:
Thanks. They certainly don't look as heavy duty as some other racks, but that also means they're not as heavy.

I've got soft bags to go on the bike, so I'm sure the racks will do fine for that. Just wondering if they'll be strong enough for a roto-pack, or for if I ever want to put on hard luggage, like pelican cases.
No, I don't think they would be good for that. Work great for soft bags with straps that go over the bike. I use mine wolfman expeditions.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #4730
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Rotopax would be fine along with soft luggage but hard luggage would be too much imho. I've got over 30K miles using Ortliebs.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #4731
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
EBC rotor upgrade

some people say its not worth it - my experience -- its made a huge difference in front braking power.
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #4732
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhawk View Post

[URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/user/hondavtr1000/media/a83d56d7-b114-494c-90c5-6c881d4b6ee1_zpsf29083dd.jpg.html]

some people say its not worth it - my experience -- its made a huge difference in front braking power.
I went a few steps further...added a radial mstr, SS line and GenII caliper.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #4733
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
I want to paint my tank and plastics. My tank is dented on both sides (previous owner) and I don't really feel like sanding it, am I able to use a few coats of primer first then some paint?? Then possibly a layer or two of clear sealer?? I've heard krylon is the go to for painting these bad boys... This true? Open to suggestions.
I painted my 99 tank by just scuffing it good with red scotch brite pad, then washing with dawn dish soap and letting it air dry. 3 coats of Rustoleum Universal Satin Black and it's held up great for the past year. Even some fuel spills haven't harmed it. My tank stickers were seriously melted into the tank - they weren't coming off period. So I scuffed and painted over them. from more than 3 feet away you can't tell.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #4734
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
I painted my 99 tank by just scuffing it good with red scotch brite pad, then washing with dawn dish soap and letting it air dry. 3 coats of Rustoleum Universal Satin Black and it's held up great for the past year. Even some fuel spills haven't harmed it. My tank stickers were seriously melted into the tank - they weren't coming off period. So I scuffed and painted over them. from more than 3 feet away you can't tell.
thanks for the input!
My tank has dents on both sides including a weld patch. Mayb just a rough sand and some primer plus paint?? I've never done any of this before, bare with me Lol
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #4735
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
tank stickers on the gen1 is under the clear coat. no way to remove them without striping the tank.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #4736
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhawk View Post

I got one very similar to that but it warped so now I'm stuck with either putting a stock one on or paying through the nose to get another oversize one.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #4737
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
I got one very similar to that but it warped so now I'm stuck with either putting a stock one on or paying through the nose to get another oversize one.

Send it back to the vendor if it warped, within a reasonable time. I did and got a good replacement
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #4738
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Send it back to the vendor if it warped, within a reasonable time. I did and got a good replacement
I bought the bike used and the disk was already on there so I doubt I can do that :(

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #4739
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
...some people say its not worth it - my experience -- its made a huge difference in front braking power.
I bought a Gen2 KLR last November and ride with a friend who has a Gen1 KLR. I commented to him about putting a dual piston caliper on his KLR and he said: "what would that do"? Although he loves riding he never has been able to ride well and never will, hence his lack of knowledge about the limitations of the brakes or for that matter the power and handling.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #4740
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
New footpegs

These hybrids are the sharpest pegs I've ever stood on. Sharp looking too.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote