Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #16
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
I vote for #4 above on the color scheme! Me likey.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
bdking
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Black will never be wrong. Just wont. BUT you have the chance to do something unique...
1 & 2 look great, but the spider-webby triangle graphic they use is sort of an ornamental graphic without really expressing anything about the form of the bike. I'm with Gregor, if you're doing a color scheme that feels "design-y" you should go bigger & more expressive. Either make it art or just highlight some nice angle of the lines & keep it simple.
bdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,728
Here is my creation in white.

I love white.
Cheers
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #19
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Oddometer: 75
Got some work in today.

Yesterday I had the chance to run to the powder coater and pick up my parts. Jack was a super nice guy. I'll be bringing the parts to my xs650 to him for sure.

I've got a little busy these past two weeks. Which is awesome because this bike is costing me way to much money. As I've been in my studio the Ups, USPS, and Fed ex guys have become my new best friends. . I finally had a little time today to make it up to my garage and bring all the parts with me. Oh the Joys of your garage being on the other side of town.

I had to run over to my garage for more reasons than just dropping off my parts. I had to take the wheels off my 600. I have a track day coming up next week. Tomorrow I'm switching out the tires. I thought it was going to be a quick trip show up throw my parts in the garage, take off the wheels throw them back in the van and then head home for dinner. When my Girlfriend texted me and said she was going to meet up with a friend and she wasnt going to be home for a little while. ahhhh hah that meant wrenching time! Excellent With so much to do I didn't know where to start. I don't know if I shared but here is a picture of the Bike as she sits now.

I decided with the time I had I could probably get the new seal and shaft in the water pump.

This meant I got to use a new tool; I just picked up. When I picked up that parts from the powder coater I ran by sears. I knew I had to get some better snap ring pliers. The cheap ones I had from harbor freight just weren't cutting it.

Worked great. Shaft and seal are now installed. I also found that I misplaced one of those dowels for the engine case . I know its somewhere. I was so careful in putting all the parts that came off the bag in little ziplock bags. gezz oh well.

07 990 Adv fun. 07 Cbr track. 1981 xs650 project
1981 cb650 sentimental
x1valin1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,392
Man, she looks sad sitting on that crate - hardly any motorcycle there at all.

Looking good man. I'm curious to see what you come up with for paint.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #21
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Man, she looks sad sitting on that crate - hardly any motorcycle there at all.

Looking good man. I'm curious to see what you come up with for paint.

Gregor
Its not just a crate. Its at least a motorcycle lift. It has wheels haha.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 06-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #22
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Much needed update

Finally an update! Seems like I'll never get this bike back together...... Hopes are to have it back together in two weeks! At least in a rideable form. I have a little camping trip coming up, and would love to take the adv.

So I've gotten busy as of late and its been hard to try and find time to make it out to the garage. Its horrible because all of the parts are just sitting in the garage waiting to become a motorcycle again. I thought I would take you all on a tour of my commute to my garage. Just so you can get the sense of what its like living in the City. . This is the view right across the street from my apartment.

My weapon of choice to get to the garage. Much faster than any subway or car. The only thing faster than these two wheels is a motorcycle. Its really the only way to travel in the city. Especially during rush hour, my commute to the garage during rush hour in my van can be more than an hour. At least with the bike its always about 25 minutes. Depending on how fast I feel like pedaling.

Just up the block a little

An intersection that marks my half way point. Also quite a busy 4 way. Always have to be aware of drivers going through red lights.

Fellow travelers. Although it seemed like this was the first time this group of people had been on bikes in the city. They seemed quite scared. A good sign of this too was that they were all on rental bikes. Often a sign to stay clear of them while passing. They can be unperdictable and cause you to swerve into traffic no good.

Up next to the park and almost to my garage I spotted another inmate. Thought I would snap a picture. Anyone recognize the bike?

Alright, Finally to the garage! On this particular day I came to the garage to work on my track bike. Had to get it ready for some fun days I had coming up.

My brother-in-law and I headed to VIR. I thought it would be a great experience for him to get more comfortable with his bike. We did the Reg pridmore school down there. I had done it once before with Gregor and had an amazing time. It was definitely where I started to first learn how to really ride a motorcycle.
I wish I had pictures of my on the track.... I don't have any worth showing though. Heres one of my brother-in-law and I near the beginning of the blue ridge parkway

So finally back from "mini vacations" time to get down to business on this ADV. Its been a box for far to long.

One of the first days I got to put some time in on it I got the cases back on the engine. . They look fancy. I also had a minor set back. On the generator cover side when I was putting the fitting back in for the breather tube it stripped out the threads. Some powder coat had gotten on the thread.. Case ruined

However, looking at the other side of the bike made me feel a lot better. Plus everything is a learning experience. Next time you can bet your ass I'll check those threads twice after I get something powder coated. Know that I had some more black going on the bike I was inspired to add some more of these shiny "new" parts. This meant getting the bearings back in the swing-arm.

I had to come up with a make shift bearing press to make this happen. It worked! It took a lot of muscle though to get it in there. After all the fuss if I ever have to press more bearings I am totally going to think of investing in a small press.

Its great to have great friends. Not only was Gregor able to hook me up with a "brand new" generator cover after I ruined mine He was also really excited to come to my garage and clean the powder coat off the rear brake slide rail. Did you know that the rear brake fits pretty tight back there? With that extra Millimeter of powder coat the rear brake won't slide on. Well you do now.

With Gregors help we got the CPR intake installed. In the process we also found out that one of the rubber boots for the throttle body was upside down. Also, Sometime in its life the clamps got switched around. If you ever take those rubber boots off make sure they go back the right way. They are two different sizes!

Do you know whats inside this fitting to connect the breather tube to the air box?

Theres a little plastic ball in there. Do you know what happens when I try and install the fitting into the new baseplate of the rott. intake?
It goes down there!

What? can't see it? Neither could we for the longest time..... Finally we were able to fish it out from in-between the two heads.

After that we called it quits. It was close to 12 at that point. Time to stop. More updates coming soon I hope.

1981 cb650 sentimental

x1valin1x screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:52 AM
Old 06-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #23
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,728
I would suggest you do the bolt through the swingarm

to ensure your chainslider sits at its place.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551666

Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #24
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Thanks already done

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
to ensure your chainslider sits at its place.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551666

Cheers.
Thanks for the link. I saw this a couple weeks back and already did it when putting the chain guide back on. Thanks for looking out though.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Because someone asked

Someone asked me what kind of bike I ride. No, not the 990 adventure we all know what kind of bike that is. I think it's made by Kawasaki haha. My pedal bike is a motobecane. It's single speed. The only thing left from when I bought it is the frame. All the other parts came afterwards from pure necessity. The bike in the city takes a beating. Right now I'm in need of a new crank and sprockets again. Plus I think my fork is slightly bent from a fall. Right now the frame is motobecane and the wheels and crank is retrospective. The headset it an old primo bmx one.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 06-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #26
sakurama
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1valin1x View Post

You are a man outstanding in his field.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

G
Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Time for an update

Ok I know its been forever since I have given anyone an update. I've been super busy with life and everything that gets in the way of working on the motorcycle. I don't want everyone to think I never got the bike back together. I had planned a trip with my girlfriend and was going to do a week ride up into Maine and the Adirondacks with her about a year ago. We had planned to get a puppy when we got back so I knew my riding time would be cut down. We wouldn't be able to bring the pup with us on the bike. So the inevitable would have to happen..... I would have to buy a car. I had worked like crazy for 4 days straight getting the bike buttoned back up. It has fresh new paint and all the fancy bits and pieces. Everything was looking good. I literally got the last bolt put on the bike when we were putting on our gear ready to go on the trip. The girlfriend looked worried. haha "Does the bike even run yet?" she asked. Yea don't worried I told her. In reality though, I had no idea. I hadn't tried to start it until now. Here goes nothing, I pushed in the starter button and Chug Chug Thump Thump the engine was the best thing I had heard in a long time. The sound of victory! I had done it! Taken the "whole bike apart" put it back together and it ran. We got on the bike and were off.

I was so excited to be riding this bike again. Never thought the day would come. We circled prospect park as a trial run just to make sure nothing fell off. Everything was running great the bike was shifting strong clutch felt great. The addition of the 17/19" wheels was a dream. This was like a new bike! The test was over time to start this ride! I made a B line for the Holland tunnel. Time to start an adventure.

We started up the street near my garage and waiting at a light the bike started to hesitate. My first thought was old gas. Probably just needed to run it out of the tanks. I pulled away from the light and I had no power..... crap this was more than bad gas. Started doing the mental checklist of what it could be. Its usually pretty easy to figure out; just think about what had been changed since the last time I had ridden the bike? So..... it could be anything. That really narrowed things down. Next thought, what was the cheapest thing I added to the bike? The cheap gas caps! Maybe vapor lock? I twisted off the cap and it nearly took my hand off with the pressure that was building up in the tank. It was like shaking up a soda bottle and twisting the cap off. Alright no problem. I had the stock caps in my garage I pulled a U-turn around the block and headed back. Changed out the caps and was on my way again. So our departure got pushed back a few hours because of this. No problem, as long as we were out of the city by night fall.

This time things were going much better. We made it past where were we had broken down before through the Holland tunnel and were on our way. This looked like it was going to happen. That was until the smoke started. We stopped to get gas off an exit in newjersey. When I came to a stop off the exit there was a huge plume of smoke that came up and surrounded us. Kristine my Girlfriend asked if that was normal. I thought maybe it was still the exhaust wrap I had put on smoking off. That was wishful thinking... this seemed like too much smoke for that. When we stopped for gas I looked down and there was a pretty sizable puddle of oil under my bike. The end of the trip had come sooner than expected. It had turned out that the rubber gasket on the top of the back cylinder had failed, and was leaking oil everywhere all over the rear header. This was the cause of all the smoke.

I did have the bike back together for about two weeks. Until I tore it back apart to start wiring up all my accessories. So the bike sits apart again but not for long. Just figured out the wiring pictures soon to come!

1981 cb650 sentimental

x1valin1x screwed with this post 03-18-2014 at 08:57 AM
Old 03-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #28
sakurama
on an endless build

Yeah!

Post lots of photos of wiring.

G
Old 03-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #29
Braindead
FMR

Oddometer: 76
+1 on lots of pics. I enjoyed the thread and I'm in he middle of an electrical boondoggle, so maybe I'll learn something from ya

I may have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's

more is more
Braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
x1valin1x OP
tommy

be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
+1 on lots of pics. I enjoyed the thread and I'm in he middle of an electrical boondoggle, so maybe I'll learn something from ya
I don't know if I'm the person I should be teaching you anything about wiring. But I'll try my best to make it work. Hopefully make it look good. I've been doing a lot of research.

1981 cb650 sentimental