Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #661
bumbeen
Banned

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How can you say a coach that understands the principle , but doesn't ride well is a good coach. How can they not ride well knowing the principle. No , most people don't know the principle , they don't need to to turn a bike. If they steer and not countersteer , they're not going ten feet. You want to understand coutersteering? Ride down a moderately curvy road with your left hand on the gas cap the whole time. You'll understand all there is to know about how countersteering works. I'll make it even simpler for the egghead , real life impaired. Lets forget about the word countersteering and just call it steering , because that's what it is on a bike , it's just done differently. You want to save your life? Get something small that you can get sideways and control it sideways . That's what's going to save your life , through avoidance. I have taught people to ride and I've taught people to ride hard and I've taught a couple to be faster than myself. You can't learn control if you don't know what out of control is. WOULD I STEER YOU WRONG.
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #662
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Not difficult to understand.

No counter-steering involved, or required since there is no real banking involved in taking a corner.

Now, with these TWO vehicles cornering on two wheels that's no longer true!

vortexau screwed with this post 06-07-2013 at 09:34 PM
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #663
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
How can you say a coach that understands the principle , but doesn't ride well is a good coach. How can they not ride well knowing the principle. No , most people don't know the principle , they don't need to to turn a bike. If they steer and not countersteer , they're not going ten feet. You want to understand coutersteering? Ride down a moderately curvy road with your left hand on the gas cap the whole time. You'll understand all there is to know about how countersteering works. I'll make it even simpler for the egghead , real life impaired. Lets forget about the word countersteering and just call it steering , because that's what it is on a bike , it's just done differently. You want to save your life? Get something small that you can get sideways and control it sideways . That's what's going to save your life , through avoidance. I have taught people to ride and I've taught people to ride hard and I've taught a couple to be faster than myself. You can't learn control if you don't know what out of control is. WOULD I STEER YOU WRONG.
Where did I say "doesn't ride well?" You quoted me, nowhere in my post will you see the words "doesn't ride well." YOU TYPED THEM. It is poor form to discuss ideas with someone, and in the process of attempting to counter a statement they made, counter a statement you make instead.

Journeyman is the word I used. It has two main meanings, the first having only to do with learning a craft, and that can be discounted here. Its second main meaning, which I will quote in a moment from Mirriam-Webster online, is a common cliché in discussing athletic activities. E.g., "Journeyman career as a player helped form Arizona's Whisenhunt as a coach" from an AP article about the NFL Coach.

From Mirriam-Webster online: Journeyman, 1: a worker who has learned a trade and works for another person usually by the day;

2: an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful
Clearly, in the context of this discussion, I was referring to the second item. How exactly is that the same thing as saying "doesn't ride well?" One can ride quite well enough to have a deep understanding of the process, and still lack the brilliance of a Valentino Rossi or an Eddie Lawson.

Ken Griffey Jr. had a batting coach. Ken Griffey Jr. could hit better than his coach. Picabo Street had a coach. She could ski better than her coach. I could go on and on, but I think you probably get the point. What people look for in coaches is someone who can understand the concepts and help them (the athlete) better understand themselves what they are doing and how to improve it. I would be willing to bet that if you look at some of the great coaches in any field, many of them had journeyman careers themselves. I think you will find that true whether team sports or individual sports.

I am beginning to think that, in spite of what you said earlier, you are only interested in "scoring points" with clever responses to an argument from a different point of view. But you really should at least respond to the argument, and not respond to your own (incorrect) interpretation of what was said.

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #664
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
I am beginning to think that, in spite of what you said earlier, you are only interested in "scoring points" with clever responses to an argument from a different point of view. But you really should at least respond to the argument, and not respond to your own (incorrect) interpretation of what was said.

Your own words , my thoughts. You must be sleeping with Philby.

joexr screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 07:54 AM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #665
RGuerra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Only if you believe in countersteering. :)

First thing to understand is that you don't keep countersteering all the way on the turn.

As said before, you countersteer for a split second just to lean or roll the bike to the desired side, and then you steer to the "correct" side to continue the turn.

Imagine going very fast on a car and doing a quick turn to the left: you will feel the car leaning or rolling to the right. The same happens with the motorcycle: you countersteer to the left, the bike leans to the right (where is you want it leaning) and then you make or let the handlebars turn to the right to continue the curve.

You must be aware that when you lean a standing still motorcycle or bicycle to any side, the front wheel/handlebar will turn to the same leaning side in proportion to the lean. The same happens if the bike is moving.
So, you lean your bike by countersteering and then "let" the front wheel/handlebar turn by itself to the correct side as said above.

All this is done in the background by our brain without none of our rational thinking. In fact, if we insist on using our rationale and tell our brain to do a full "correct" side turn of the handlebar, we wont be able to turn the bike (at speeds around 10mph and above) and we will only have a weaving straight line ride (and crash).

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSVr3bux1Q8&hd=1 go to 0:34 and see how the tires going along just by the side of the white line sudenly move to their left (countersteer) before turning to their right.
You can see the same thing, but is a little less obvious, at 0:23. Here, the bike is moving slowly towards the white line and then suddenly and quick it moves over the line (on it's left) before turning right.
Matamoros, Mx.
N25°52'57.80" W97°30'53.50"

RGuerra screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 04:18 PM
RGuerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #666
RGuerra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62

The "outside" lean of the tires on the car fools us, but what really matters is that the centrifugal and gravity forces are in equilibrium.

Or I think so.

Of course it is trickier to do it with the car.
Matamoros, Mx.
N25°52'57.80" W97°30'53.50"
RGuerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM   #667
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGuerra View Post

The "outside" lean of the tires on the car fools us, but what really matters is that the centrifugal and gravity forces are in equilibrium.

Or I think so.

Of course it is trickier to do it with the car.
You got it. The point at which lean angle is perfectly maintained is the point where gravity and centrifugal forces are equal. That doesn't have much to do with counter-steering though.

Not that it matters if you know this or not but this is how it does effect counter-steering. If you turn the handlebars left, you create a centrifugal force that pushes the motorcycle's mass right. This makes the motorcycle lean right and vise versa. That is for the initial turn in. Here is how counter-steering works mid corner while leaned over. If the centrifugal forces get weaker (turning the handlebars away from the corner) the motorcycle will fall to the ground because gravity wins out. If the centrifugal forces get stronger then the motorcycle will be pushed upright.

Long after I started riding I decided to learn how it worked. If you don't care how it works then just practice it. You really don't need to know the physics of it which get more complicated then I can understand when you add in all of the factors at work. You just need to know counter-steering. You need to consciously practice whether you use the "push right - go right" method or just pay attention to turning the bars left or right with both hands. "Just riding" for most people creates a lot of bad habits compared to practicing one simple proper riding technique at a time.

Fajita Dave screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 06:36 PM
Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #668
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
..........If you turn the handlebars left, you create a centrifugal force that pushes the motorcycle's mass right. This makes the motorcycle lean right and vise versa. That is for the initial turn in. Here is how counter-steering works mid corner while leaned over. If the centrifugal forces get weaker (turning the handlebars away from the corner) the motorcycle will fall to the ground because gravity wins out. If the centrifugal forces get stronger then the motorcycle will be pushed upright..........
Priceless explanation, Dave !!!

We start and stop the bike's rolls by turning the handlebar and inducing a centrifugal force.
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #669
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:

Your own words , my thoughts. You must be sleeping with Philby.
Nevermind. As they used to say on usenet, "Plonk."

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #670
Bad Daddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
What Happened?

I understand counter steering. Bicycles, check. Snowmobiles, check (in deep powder, no centrifugal forces, just ski drag). Learned it at motorcycle training.
Had a Heritage Softail; it did it. Have a DRZ 400, it did it ( original tires).

Now, with new tires on it, it feels like it doesn't adhere to the push left/turn left rule.
Feels quite odd. Like making low speed turns on a bicycle. Tires are D606 rear, XCMH front.

Is it just because the tires are new, or is the geometry of the bike all wrong with the tires? Or do I need to put a few miles on them?

I know the tires are heavier, and the tubes are heavier than stock. Would that have an effect?

I should demo a new bike to see if with new stock tires it is the same.

The old tires had 4500 miles on them. Trail Wings, which were fine on the street/highway.

Discuss.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #671
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Daddy View Post
Discuss.
Kay.

Ride on a straight road, push against the right handlebar and see which way the bike starts to lean.

Mystery solved.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #672
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
I understand counter steering. Bicycles, check. Snowmobiles, check (in deep powder, no centrifugal forces, just ski drag). Learned it at motorcycle training.

Now, with new tires on it, it feels like it doesn't adhere to the push left/turn left rule.
Feels quite odd. Like making low speed turns on a bicycle. Tires are D606 rear, XCMH front.

Is it just because the tires are new, or is the geometry of the bike all wrong with the tires? Or do I need to put a few miles on them?

I know the tires are heavier, and the tubes are heavier than stock. Would that have an effect?

I should demo a new bike to see if with new stock tires it is the same.

The old tires had 4500 miles on them. Trail Wings, which were fine on the street/highway.

Discuss.
More off-road based tires like those have a pretty disconnected feel to them on pavement. The knobs flex which absorb a lot of the subtle feedback you get from the pavement or they create there own due to the flex(somewhat like a gravel road does). Especially when cornering you can get this soft, almost mushy feel from the knobs flexing around. Counter-steering still works the same way with any tire.

You could have flat tires with sharp edges front and rear (more like a car tire) and counter-steering still works 100% of the time.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #673
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
New tires always "feel" different...your mind is at work on you as well because you're hyper sensitive and expect a change.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #674
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:

Now, with new tires on it, it feels like it doesn't adhere to the push left/turn left rule. Feels quite odd. Like making low speed turns on a bicycle. Tires are D606 rear, XCMH front.
STOP- google time.

Quote:
Discuss.
You're comparing how that feels to how this feels:

Your lack of "feeling" is all tire flex.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #675
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Nevermind. As they used to say on usenet, "Plonk."

David B.
As they still say on ADVRider , TROLL.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote