User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
skuprider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Shipping to Europe

Looking for info on shipping my BMW GS to Europe. Preferably from Houston and trying to get it to Croatia. Open to other locations in Europe as well as from other locations other than Houston. Looking to share a container with any folks who are looking to ship bikes.
skuprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Underboning
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuprider View Post
Looking for info on shipping my BMW GS to Europe. Preferably from Houston and trying to get it to Croatia. Open to other locations in Europe as well as from other locations other than Houston. Looking to share a container with any folks who are looking to ship bikes.
It appears that you are trying to ship by sea? Be sure to check for recommendations over on Horizons Unlimited, and you can also check their "Shipping the Bike" section to see if (and how) others have done it. You could also post in the "Trip Transport" section to see if others may want to share a container.

Shipping by sea (in a container) can be pricey and is slow. We gave up on shipping our bikes by sea, as Charleston, SC to Durban, SA was going to take 50 days and cost $4200 USD for the shipment alone (our own 20 foot container). We were given a ballpark estimate of another $1000 USD for wharfage.

You might check on the possibility of a RORO ship plying that route, at least you wouldn't have to pay for a full 20 foot container and should also save on wharfage fees, too.

Shipping by air is much faster (and usually not more expensive in the end), but it is difficult to ship used bikes out of the US since 9/11, since they are now deemed "personal effects" if you are shipping them to yourself. This means you will need an agent that is a "known shipper" and will accept personal effects. We ended up flying our bikes out of Canada, where they don't have these stupid restrictions and did it ourselves (without an agent).

Alternately, http://www.motorcycleexpress.com/ will ship your uncrated bike from Houston to Zurich for $2495.
Underboning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,757
Hu

Yep, go over to HU and read

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/on-the-road

The linked oragne bits are all things you should read

"Shipping the Bike

Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,542
Booking a whole container is usually feasible only, if you have many bikes going the same way. For 1-2 bikes, LCL seafreight with the bikes packed on crate(s) should be the most cost-effective way, even though crating is a bit of work. By sea, Ro-Ro could also be an option.

Airfreight is quicker and altogether more simple, and possible delays much shorter. Get quotes for both sea and air.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 03:27 AM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #5
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I shipped mine through Knopf Tours. Dropped the bike off in Florida and picked it up in Germany. All paperwork was handled, I was on the road by the time I got my battery reconnected, mirrors attached, and luggage stashed.

He sent updates on where the crate was and where the bike was in the customs process.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
skuprider OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightup View Post
I shipped mine through Knopf Tours. Dropped the bike off in Florida and picked it up in Germany. All paperwork was handled, I was on the road by the time I got my battery reconnected, mirrors attached, and luggage stashed.

He sent updates on where the crate was and where the bike was in the customs process.
I'm impressed with his set up. That may be the way to go. Unfortunately will have to catch him next spring.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
eightup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I would send him an email. He would probably be able to work something out via air or at least get you pointed in the right direction.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
patrick2wd
pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Oddometer: 141
there is a roll on roll off service from France to east coast US and vv,

but there is where my contribution stops..
no idea what and who..

so, Im not that sure if I was help-full..
Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
skuprider OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightup View Post
I would send him an email. He would probably be able to work something out via air or at least get you pointed in the right direction.
Yes I did. Air service from New York for about 2000 which is not too bad other than getting it to New York from Houston.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 682
+1 on knopf tours. I shipped in the container from Orlando this March. He makes it fairly painless and has a B&B setup if you want to use it when you pick up the bike. I'm storing the bike with him and he has also looked after getting the ADAC roadside assistance package for me.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,897
You might also consider this.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=893136
Old 06-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 871
$350 from Chicago to Poland in a shipping container , Done it many times.

PM me if this work for you.

Martin

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
gunnirider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
shipping to Europe

Stefan Knopf had a good program and can provide all the assurance and ADAC. the only problem with shipping is that you have to ride all the way across Europe to get to Croatia. Stefan is in Heidelberg, so flights in and out of Frankfurt are easy and only a quick train ride to Stefan's. his shop is also close to the train platform....about 200 yds. it's quite convenient.
another option is that i have a '96 1100 GS about 45 min south of Munich that i might consider letting you ride for a very nominal fee. it's got the large touring cases and a 45l topcase and tankbag. it's set to go and is at a friend's shop that rents motorcycles. it's a hell of a lot closer to Croatia than if you shipped your own bike. you would still need to get the assurance and ADAC(if you choose) from Stefan. he would simply mail it to my friend and you would pick it up there. i would also need some info on your experience before i would loan the bike, but it needs to be exercised more often and i'm not going until the fall.
gunnirider is offline   Reply With Quote