Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #4111
Stifdickerson2006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
I will have to check the ever increasing receipt folder, but I think I got it from a dude named "Trailjammer".

Appreciate the appreciation. Gotta switch back to the dirt wheels, got the CF ride up in Loudon, NH this Sunday,
Yes that is trailjammer designs, he's a friend of mine. Great product, my bike was actually the one used to make the proto's for ktm 500 case cover, He is actually in the vendors page here. http://www.facebook.com/trailjammer408.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #4112
RockabillyBob
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHBO View Post
I will have to check the ever increasing receipt folder, but I think I got it from a dude named "Trailjammer".

Appreciate the appreciation. Gotta switch back to the dirt wheels, got the CF ride up in Loudon, NH this Sunday,
Thanks, will look into that.

And thanks for the facebook-link as well!
RockabillyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #4113
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockabillyBob View Post
Nice, really nice.

What is that black cover that you have on the cluch cover?
HI Guys. Yep. That is a Trailjammer Designs Case Saver cover. I make them for lots of KTM's. PM me or email me for info. My friend just put a hole in his cover on a crash in the Baja 500 race. Ended his race. :( Wasn't running a TJD Case Saver cover. Let me know if you have any questions.
Yahbo, your bike is looking sweet!
Thanks for the props Stif! Hope your foot is healing up!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #4114
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Anyone found a carbon guard for an fmf megabomb header? I've seen one from a company in the UK that's just for the bomb section, but nothing for the full header on a 500, only 350.
I've been playing with making a prototype that covers the mega bomb and extends a couple inches on each side, but definitely not the front header pipe. I notice you're in Los Gatos. I'm in San Jose. If you're interested in a prototype of that type, maybe you can leave your bike w/me for a day or so.
Cain
-Trailjammer Designs
Old 06-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #4115
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin View Post
Bike is a XC-W 2013 with 1700 miles. Ran the original 13T front sprocket for 1500 miles and saw the heavy wear on the top of swingarm slider, so I installed a 15T front and watched wear closely - chain is now touching mounting bolt stepped washer in slider.
I could put two fingers between back of slider and the chain when bike was new so I have kept chain adjusted there - although I have only needed to adjust once. This is my first KTM so is this kind of wear normal and does anyone manufacture a longer lasting replacement?
Don't have a way to post pics - Thanks for any input
I purchased my used 2012 European EXC (like the American XC-W) which has a front 13t sprocket and I also notice wear in the top of the swingarm slider, so I would also be interested in an answer to your question

One more question: When I need to replace the swingarm slider, could someone please let me know what I will need to do? I guess that it won't be necessary to remove the swingarm?
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #4116
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyktm View Post
I purchased my used 2012 European EXC (like the American XC-W) which has a front 13t sprocket and I also notice wear in the top of the swingarm slider, so I would also be interested in an answer to your question

One more question: When I need to replace the swingarm slider, could someone please let me know what I will need to do? I guess that it won't be necessary to remove the swingarm?
My '08 530 will also wear the chain guide near the mounting bolt on top but not bad. Just make sure your chain isn't too loose. I see a lot of KTM's wearing the guide like that. I just figure it's a KTM thing. lol I run 14/48. When replacing the slider it helps to pull the wheel off and the chain and anything in the way. Might have to pull the counter sprocket. I forget. It's not that hard to replace just kind of pain. It's one of those things you put on and forget about it. ;)
Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #4117
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Unknown Electrical Connections
Can anyone tell me what these connections are for? I have no idea but hate to see two connections sitting there without knowing what in the world they are for and whether I might be missing something fantastic. These are on a 2012 500EXC. Many thanks for the insight !!!

I hope the images are available as I don't have much experience posting photos to this site ! The connections are sheathed in plastic but I assume they will be familiar to anyone who knows what they are for !
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #4118
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
My '08 530 will also wear the chain guide near the mounting bolt on top but not bad. Just make sure your chain isn't too loose. I see a lot of KTM's wearing the guide like that. I just figure it's a KTM thing. lol I run 14/48. When replacing the slider it helps to pull the wheel off and the chain and anything in the way. Might have to pull the counter sprocket. I forget. It's not that hard to replace just kind of pain. It's one of those things you put on and forget about it. ;)
Thank you very much for the very useful information!

Yes, I will make sure that the chain has the correct tension, and I hope that when I have to replace the swingarm slider I do not need to remove the front sprocket, as now I remember that my chain has no master link, so I would need to break one link... grrrrr... In the meantime, let's see if some other EXC/XC-W users can confirm if the sprocket needs to be removed, so that I can begin my mental preparation... Thanks a lot!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #4119
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsandowns View Post
Can anyone tell me what these connections are for?

I hope the images are available as I don't have much experience posting photos to this site !
Yes, we can see the picture, so congratulations! And I also have these unused connectors in my European 2012 500 EXC, so I would also like to know what they are for
Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #4120
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyktm View Post
Thank you very much for the very useful information!

Yes, I will make sure that the chain has the correct tension, and I hope that when I have to replace the swingarm slider I do not need to remove the front sprocket, as now I remember that my chain has no master link, so I would need to break one link... grrrrr... In the meantime, let's see if some other EXC/XC-W users can confirm if the sprocket needs to be removed, so that I can begin my mental preparation... Thanks a lot!
You will most likely have to remove the counter shaft sprocket after I took a quick look again. You shouldn't have to break the chain. Just pull the axle out a bit so the axle blocks are clear and slide the wheel all the way forward and you'll have enough chain slack to remove counter shaft and slide it back to pull the chain off the counter shaft sprocket. Pretty easy. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #4121
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailjammer View Post
I replaced the swingarm slider on my EXC without removing the counter. I did slip the chain off the rear sprocket to get it out of the way & removed the case saver. The most time consuming issue was removing the upper slider retaining screw whose head had been partially machined off with the chain. Best to do sooner rather than later.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #4122
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what these connections are for? I have no idea but hate to see two connections sitting there without knowing what in the world they are for and whether I might be missing something fantastic. These are on a 2012 500EXC. Many thanks for the insight !!!

I hope the images are available as I don't have much experience posting photos to this site ! The connections are sheathed in plastic but I assume they will be familiar to anyone who knows what they are for !
The wire comes from the EFI unit according to the wiring diagram. In all models (EUR, AUS and XC-W) except the USA EXC, the wire goes to the kill switch. In the USA model it terminates into the 2 connectors that you see in the picture. The USA EXC model uses the ignition switch as the kill switch.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #4123
Upsandowns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21

What are they for ???

Many thanks, but I remain confused, and that probably says a lot about my lack of electrical expertise. It seems to me that you believe the wires come from the EFI unit, but then you suggest they go to the kill switch on USA models, of which mine is one. What is the purpose of these connections if they are "open" ? And what would you connect them to ? I guess I would have thought that they are for some sort of accessory but that would contradict your impression. What am I missing? Thanks, again.
Upsandowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #4124
E-Ticket2
E-Ticket

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
What are they for ???

Many thanks, but I remain confused, and that probably says a lot about my lack of electrical expertise. It seems to me that you believe the wires come from the EFI unit, but then you suggest they go to the kill switch on USA models, of which mine is one. What is the purpose of these connections if they are "open" ? And what would you connect them to ? I guess I would have thought that they are for some sort of accessory but that would contradict your impression. What am I missing? Thanks, again.
Those are the connectors for the flux capacitor.

Mine: '12 KTM 350 EXC-F; '99 Honda VFR 800i Interceptor
Wife: '08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '04 Honda CBR600 F4i
E-Ticket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #4125
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ticket2 View Post
Those are the connectors for the flux capacitor.
I don't recommend connecting a flux capacitor. I did and when I shifted into 5th I was suddenly in blue and white stripped bell bottomed pants and hair down to my shoulders..

Perhaps someone else can advise what the wires are for.... I would like to know myself...

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote