Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
troutshack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Sorry for the late update, we haven’t had internet for the past two days.
Thanks to everyone for following along.

Diggerled I hope you do a report I would love to do a little dirt in MX but I have a hard time finding my way on the tarmac.

WB, I’ll let you know when we are passing back through if you can’t host us no problem but maybe we can meet up for a cerveza or three.

Kedgi, what does lobster cost in the lobster capital of the world?

SR we certainly will if not on this trip hopefully the next will be that direction. This is Mark’s trip. I’m just trying to navigate for him. He wants to see the ruins, I suggested we go back up the West coast all the way to CA but I don’t think he’s going for it.

Day 2

J. D. took us to an awesome breakfast before seeing us off and then heading to work himself.

Notice his work attire. No wonder he’s such a great guy, life’s a beach for J.D... Mark’s bike was still having issues so before sending us off J.D. pointed us to an AutoZone and a Wal-Mart because I had forgotten mosquito repellant and Mark wants to see some ruins so were going to need it.

I took this pic at Auto Zone while Mark was in buying an inline fuel filter and some Seafoam as suggested by J.D. I didn’t take a pic of him installing because like I said he still doesn’t think this is funny…..but one day he will, one day. Might take me awhile also if my bike kept dying in Austin traffic. The question remains, is it fixed?

Fuel filter installed and seafoam in the tank we head across the parking lot to Wal-Mart to pick up some repellant. No big deal. I lived in Austin in the late 80’s and the population was around 360k if I remember correctly and Austin has BOOMED since then I have no idea what the population is now. As we are getting on our bikes to head out of town a guy sees our bikes comes up to us and ask if we know J.D., I’m telling you this guy has quite the reputation in that town. What are the odds? I’m guessing that it won’t be long and you will be able to go to any store in Mexico on an adventure bike and they are going to ask if you know J.D.!

We get out of town with Mark’s KLR running fine. Really wanted to say hi and maybe have lunch with Tricepilot in San Antonio but we had a big breakfast and lost time installing the filter ect so we pressed on. I noticed Mark getting close to me then falling back over and over on the trip, didn’t think anything about it, everybody rides differently right? Well at one of our fuel stops he tells me he is still having problems. We passed an auto parts store and I didn’t stop, didn’t even notice it, my bike was running fine and Assumed his was. Mark latter told me he was trying to get me to stop there. He kept dragging further and further behind.

There was a rest stop I remembered from my last trip. Last time it had “watch for rattlesnakes” signs running down the length of it. Nice place with short, stubby oaks providing shade. I pulled in and waited for Mark to catch up. The signs were gone, must be the time of year? When Mark arrived he had enough and wanted to tear into his bike again. He said it wasn't him varying speed but the bike. We found some shade, looked around for snakes and proceeded.

First he looked at the carb again.

Nadda, Clean! Fuel filter clean, but almost no fuel in the filter?

So he takes the tank off. No fuel flowing through the petcock. This thing has a problem, a problem a little blue pill can’t fix it.

Upon further investigation, with the help of a clymers manual we discover that someone has removed a spring from the petcock …guessing in an attempt to make it gravity fed? But there is an O ring that can still seal the deal and stop the flow of fuel…fuel, spark, air, got to have all three. We remove the O ring, Mark test it around the rest stop and we are on our way again. We make it to Pharr Texas before sunset and stay in a seedy motel close to the border because we’re to tired and hot to look for anything better, but are our problems over? I can assure you they are not. More to come…

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723650
troutshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,424
So how's Mark's bike running now??

If you see Ester at Palenque tell her I said "hi" and that I didn't drink the
whole jar in one sitting. She seemed a bit alarmed. Thanks.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:19 AM   #18
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388

It is $4.99 a pound, cooked, this week. Recently, there have been protests by the Fishermen because the large brokerages are only giving them $2.50/pound wholesale. The price they get hasn't gone up in years and years in spite of the cost of everything else going up, especially fuel and insurance.

If ya like lobster, and warm water, this is the place to be in July and August. They say Shediac has the warmest salt water north of the Carlolinas. The Straight between NB and Prince Edward Island is shallow, it is 16 miles across but only 100 feet deep, we have miles and miles and miles of beautiful sandy beaches on NB's north shore. Come Visit!

Hijack over

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 06-08-2013 at 03:30 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Great country......

Looks like some pretty nice country to roam around in. Thanks for making up this RR. It's a joy to read....stay safe on the road.....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
[QUOTE=troutshack;21595768]Sorry for the late update, we haven’t had internet for the past two days.
Thanks to everyone for following along.

Diggerled I hope you do a report I would love to do a little dirt in MX but I have a hard time finding my way on the tarmac.

WB, I’ll let you know when we are passing back through if you can’t host us no problem but maybe we can meet up for a cerveza or three.

SR we certainly will if not on this trip hopefully the next will be that direction. This is Mark’s trip. I’m just trying to navigate for him. He wants to see the ruins, I suggested we go back up the West coast all the way to CA but I don’t think he’s going for it.

Day 2

J. D. took us to an awesome breakfast before seeing us off and then heading to work himself.

Notice his work attire. No wonder he’s such a great guy, life’s a beach for J.D... Mark’s bike was still having issues so before sending us off J.D. pointed us to an AutoZone and a Wal-Mart because I had forgotten mosquito repellant and Mark wants to see some ruins so were going to need it.

It is always 5:00 somewhere!!!!!!!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
troutshack OP
Adventurer

Schizzman, we will certainly look for Ester. I’m guessing she won’t be hard to spot?

Kedgi, Shediac is now officially on my wish list of places to visit.

Thanks for following along Oldone!

RW66, you are absolutely right!

Old 06-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
troutshack OP
Adventurer

Day 3 (June 1st)
When we got up we were just a mile or less from the border. When Mark got his motorcycle license a few days ago it was just a paper copy. Texas mails the real license later. I had been hoping this would not be a problem but was still a little apprehensive. Sure enough there was much fussing about his paper license. As I assured them it was a legal license in my best East Texas Spanish I was wondering if this might be Mark’s first river crossing? The person we started with had to consult other people and there was much conversation I didn’t understand but eventually we were told to pay for copies and move on. When I showed them I had brought copies they made me pay for copies of their paperwork. Wasn’t much money so next time I won’t even try. To enter the country did cost more than I remembered. They charged the $400 deposit and $26 for something else but this time they also charged $76 for I don’t know what? Any help?
Doesn’t matter we were in Mexico!

Our goal for the day was a town called Mante, I had stayed at a decent hotel and had some great tacos on the last trip. Not to mention the hotel clerk who I would make a blind bet could rank up there with Ester in Palenque that I keep hearing about.

There was some beautiful riding

Mark was learning the ropes of driving in México, how everyone shares the center when passing and topes although my arch enemies are great places to get ahead of the pack. We were still fighting heavy winds at one point I saw a scooter ahead of us and it looked tilted about 20 degrees, I looked in the rear view and Mark looked the same so I guess I was also riding pretty tilted on the straight open areas.

I never knew there was an advantage to being over weight but apparently there is. It seems my extra weight helps to keep my bike planted, Mark was not so lucky. I saw him passing a bus in my rear view and the next time I looked back he was gone. I immediately pulled over; the bus passed and then came Mark. He pulled in beside me with weeds in his skid plate and dirt on his pannier but none the worse for wear. He said the wind from the bus was pushing him as he passed the he came out to an open plane where the wind gust forced his front end to the left overpowering him. He went through a ditch on the left of the road at speed but didn’t have to get off. He has my respect for riding that one out.

We made it to Mante but as we drove around I’m not even sure that it was the same town I stayed in before, I couldn’t find a motel, nothing was familiar, and Mark’s bike was still running rough. On my last trip the hotel was right on the main road. It had been a long day and we both needed to stop soon. The first and only hotel we saw in what the gps called Mante on this trip.

Don’t think there was really a hospital down that dusty road. We needed to stop and this would have to do. The price was right and the people were friendly, the room well…that’s another story.

I’m detecting a pattern here…..

I went and got him a bottle of water handed a few tools but mostly sat in that orange chair to the right. Mark made some more engineering changes to the vacuum side of the petcock and did a short test ride; that would have to be it till morning. Time for some tacos….

This stand was great! They had cars lined up at the curb waiting on takeout

After dinner we found a nice place to relax and have a few more cervezas. Oh, and a small bottle of tequila.

Look, Mark's Smiling!!!

The hotel was nice enough to let us pull our bikes in. Mark heard something during the night and the next morning they were moved and the mirrors were all wrong. Think maybe some might have sat on them for a pic or two but no harm done.