Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #211
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,710
I really enjoyed this and was glad to bump it. One thing I cannot understand is how it is that Alaska looks so dumpy in pictures I have seen of the communities where Scandinavia looks so clean and tidy. I saw this picture of Barrow on an Alaska web cam:

Norway looks incredibly civilized. I have no desire to ride anywhere where its cold and damp in June so I get great pleasure from seeing this places on ADV rider. I see the appeal of Norway with its tidy towns and great roads. Alaska looks gnarly and wretched by comparison. I don't get it.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #212
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,840
Tanks conchscooter. If I had the choice I'd live in Florida during winter I fucken hate winter...

First of all, I don't think Barrow looks that bad At least not when considering it's a severe outpost on the steps to the arctic ocean.

Live 360 deg webcam feed from North Cape, Norway

Comparing Alaska to Norway, and the northern part in particular really isn't fair. Since we have the gulf stream flowing along our coast we don't have the same climate as Canada/ Alaska/ Russia. We have no perma frost and our winters are shorter and less severe. I also think the architecture plays a big role in how the places are perceived. In a place like Barrow I can't imagine people invest too much time, money or energy in their garden or deck since they hardly get to use it. I'm also guessing a house with as few add ons as possible handle the hard winds better than a typical tropic house which has to be well ventilated with large areas of shade rather than heavily isolated and bolted to the ground

Barrow, Alaksa
Average
High: 17,2F (-8,2C)
Low: 6,2F (-14,3C)

Honningsvåg, Norway (on the same little island as North Cape)
Average
High: 40,6 F (4,8C)
Low: 25,2F (-3,8C)

Not sure if that web feed from Barrow is from an indigenous community or not, but it seems those places are similar in structure at least, regardless of where you go in the word. We do not have defined communities like USA, Canada and Australia have, but there are certain places that, for agument's sake, are more or less a community.

Ths music video was shot in Kautokeino (one of the places we stayed at on our trip), which is in the heart of Sami country (our indigenous population).

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #213
Toiretto
Getting into it!

Oddometer: 50
Great stuff! Thank you for sharing.
Toiretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #214
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Sweet video!

That guy on the sled has MAJOR stones, back out of it and you're COLD! Not to mention minus a sled for awhile!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #215
Gravel Seeker OP
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,840
The artist (Torgny), always has a cameo role in the videos: the guy with the shades. He collaborated with film maker Emil Trier to make a trilogy of music videos for three of the songs from his debut album "Chameleon Days", all of which featured Maria Due on guest vocal. The videos depict 3 very different, but eerily similar Norwegian youth cultures if you look past the clothes and hairstyles.

The first video was this one
Torgny - "The Only Game"

Setting: "Rånere/bygdeungdom" Boy racers/ countryside youth. Alot of older, somewhat tuned, but mostly styled cars.

The second one
Torgny - "Big Day"

Setting: "Russ" Russ is the term penned for graduating seniors. Since the 50's it's morphed from cleanly groomed youths marching the streets, waiving the Norwegian flag on May 17th (our independence day) and singing to full blown, inside parties lasting pretty much from April 20th to May 17th. The "russ" will pool their money and buy a van or a bus, trick it out with insane loud systems and just go at it. In this video they tagged along with a bus from the western part of Oslo, the rich part. They compete to have the "best bus" and I'm guessing these girls payed USD 200.000,- or so for this bus.

The third one, "I came here", was set in Sami country (linked to a couple of posts ago, post #212)

If you enjoyed the music, Torgny also made a song called "Dying Hipster" feat. Maria Due

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is online now   Reply With Quote