Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #4501
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
As the owner of a DCT with about 4k miles I couldn't be happier. As far as D mode goes, if you ride it hard the computer will learn your habits and shift accordingly.
You guys are doing a great job of convincing me to take my '12 base model in to trade for a '12 DCT or a shiny new '13 DCT (with the faster red paint)!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #4502
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Probably already been covered but here's a non-owner's view (me):

I rode my 2006 V-Strom 650 to work yesterday and not long after getting home, my girlfriend's father stopped in with his brand new 700 DCT. I took it for a 5 mile ride solo, and again with my girlfriend to get a comparison between it and the Wee.

As a solo bike, in D mode, it was incredibly smooth, quiet, and nice smooth air hitting my helmet. You can hear the gear changes but not feel them. Switching to S mode or using the paddles it definitely gets up to speed quicker and "feels" more like a conventional bike.

For me (us), it was outstanding as a 2-up machine. The smooth ride and smooth, almost electric, power delivery far surpassed the Wee even on a good day (passenger occasionally comments on a less than smooth shift, especially if accelerating briskly) and the suspension handled our rough road better. To be fair, I have 22,000 miles on the Wee and the NC only has 160 but it felt like it had much better damping. She also said that the air flow was much smoother for her on the back as well and it was less noticeable in our Scala rider intercom system.

That being said, I did find it to be a little slower than the Wee both solo and 2-up but all in all its an outstanding ride. On the flip side though, it is deceptively quick being so smooth and not having to work the gearbox you get up to speed sooner than you think and the exhaust and motor are quiet enough that 70+ can sneak up on you if you get on it hard from a stop.

The only thing I didn't care too much for was very slow speed handling, parking lot type maneuvers. I had a difficult time being comfortable without being able to slip the clutch to regulate my speed in the under 10 mph range. It seemed to work well if I throttled up with the rear brake on and then continued to slightly drag the brake. It sounded as though it was slipping the clutch a bit since the revs were up and it was smooth. If I didn't work against the brake it was a lumpy ride from the power pulses, as if the clutch were fully engaged, similar to letting the Wee idle along in first gear.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #4503
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,844
Interesting. After I rode the DCT, I rode a 2012 DL650. I bought the Suzuki.

I thought the suspension was much better than the Honda's, and I didn't like the seat or foot peg location on the Honda. The V-Strom was just more comfortable for me. I sure wish it had DCT though. I owned a DL1000 for a while. I have to say so far I think the DL-650 with the "adventure" screen does a much better job of handling airflow than the old style. I wouldn't say the airflow is smoother than the Honda, but it blocks a lot more of it.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #4504
vguy
Rockhopper

Oddometer: 84

I'm still looking for a new light-to-medium off-road twin. Looks like I should wait for the 2014 offerings. Meanwhile an older DR650 will work.
vguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #4505
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Interesting. After I rode the DCT, I rode a 2012 DL650. I bought the Suzuki.

I thought the suspension was much better than the Honda's, and I didn't like the seat or foot peg location on the Honda. The V-Strom was just more comfortable for me. I sure wish it had DCT though. I owned a DL1000 for a while. I have to say so far I think the DL-650 with the "adventure" screen does a much better job of handling airflow than the old style. I wouldn't say the airflow is smoother than the Honda, but it blocks a lot more of it.
I traded in my Vstrom ( 1000 ) for the NCX !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #4506
bryantjt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Again, to be fair, I have 8 year old suspension with 22,000 miles so it may be getting a bit tired compared to the NCX with 160 miles.

I would like to see how the 2012 Wee compares to the 2006 but not for their current pricing, I'll just continue rolling on my 06.

I also have the stock "flip up" Wee screen and it sucks, with my Madstad bracket it sucks less but its still turbulent. I prefer open air but the Wee was actually worse with no screen so I need somewhere in the middle.

I only rode the NCX for a total of 10 miles and the ergonomics were great for that short stint. I'm 5'-6", 30" inseam, 200# and preferred the somewhat forward lean on the NCX over the Wee. The seat angle and bar sweep on the Wee pulls my left shoulder out (loose tendons or some such, it pops and grates all the time) and is uncomfortable unless I make a conscious effort to lean forward and put weight on it. The NCX just plain fit well. And the bar angle was good for me as well. I have to use my throttle lock on the Wee in order to ride for more than 10 miles or my right hand goes numb.

Most of what I liked about the NCX over the Wee could be remedied through the aftermarket but I just haven't gotten around to it.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #4507
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post

The only thing I didn't care too much for was very slow speed handling, parking lot type maneuvers. I had a difficult time being comfortable without being able to slip the clutch to regulate my speed in the under 10 mph range. It seemed to work well if I throttled up with the rear brake on and then continued to slightly drag the brake. It sounded as though it was slipping the clutch a bit since the revs were up and it was smooth. If I didn't work against the brake it was a lumpy ride from the power pulses, as if the clutch were fully engaged, similar to letting the Wee idle along in first gear.
I am completely opposite on this issue. I can ride this bike on the steering stops. I feel more controlled at slow speeds on my NCX then any other bike I've owned.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #4508
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
Probably already been covered but here's a non-owner's view (me):

That being said, I did find it to be a little slower than the Wee both solo and 2-up but all in all its an outstanding ride. On the flip side though, it is deceptively quick being so smooth and not having to work the gearbox you get up to speed sooner than you think and the exhaust and motor are quiet enough that 70+ can sneak up on you if you get on it hard from a stop.

Just did my 600 mile oil change, and agree with this- electric feel to the power, it is a bit slower outright, but deceptively quick and fun to drive because there's always a good amount of torque available without stirring around for rpm's.

And the fuel economy is pretty good for daily driving
-> first 3 fillups: 70, 67, & 71.5 mpg. I'll take that!

Dv
Old 06-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #4509
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I wonder if anyone agrees

I own a X,,,am I the only owner who simply hates instrument cluster,,it just looks so naff and cheapo,,,,the reason I mention this is because I happened to see a really nice after market cluster by Ace well,,check out the pic .If I could get it to work and it fitted,,it would be a pleasure to hand over the dosh....http://www.acewell.co.uk/
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #4510
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
I own a X,,,am I the only owner who simply hates instrument cluster,,it just looks so naff and cheapo,,,,the reason I mention this is because I happened to see a really nice after market cluster by Ace well,,check out the pic .If I could get it to work and it fitted,,it would be a pleasure to hand over the dosh....http://www.acewell.co.uk/
Which of these Ace clusters were you looking at?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #4511
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipsee View Post
I own a X,,,am I the only owner who simply hates instrument cluster,,it just looks so naff and cheapo,,,,the reason I mention this is because I happened to see a really nice after market cluster by Ace well,,check out the pic .If I could get it to work and it fitted,,it would be a pleasure to hand over the dosh....
I think that you are SOL with this. The instrument cluster on the NC contains "other stuff" than instruments. I believe it contains the ECU/PCU for the bike. I cannot find any other "black boxes" on the bike and everything seems to harness up to what they call the "combination meter".
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #4512
syntec4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Still enjoying mine. Not had a chance to try a different screen yet but I'll get round to it. Average is 80mpg (UK). Nearly 2k miles on it now.
So far I have the Givi engine bars, Givi trekker topcase and rack. Heated grips, centre stand and fender extender. Mine is the manual, they all have ABS here in the UK I think. Odd that you only get the ABS with the DCT? I've never actually felt the abs cut in, despite the crappy weather that we normally ride in over here.
Went for a ride this evening and the weather is fantastic here at the moment for a change.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #4513
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,570
I love that red. I am going to have to win the lottery cus i cannot decide on ONE bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:33 AM   #4514
High Hope
World's Best Dog

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntec4 View Post
Still enjoying mine. Not had a chance to try a different screen yet but I'll get round to it. Average is 80mpg (UK). Nearly 2k miles on it now.
So far I have the Givi engine bars, Givi trekker topcase and rack. Heated grips, centre stand and fender extender. Mine is the manual, they all have ABS here in the UK I think. Odd that you only get the ABS with the DCT? I've never actually felt the abs cut in, despite the crappy weather that we normally ride in over here.
Went for a ride this evening and the weather is fantastic here at the moment for a change.

Great photo! Extra kudos for artfully capturing the RtW compass rose patch. I just finished installing hand guards on mine, the final step will be the Seat Concepts seat which the upholsterer is doing this Friday.
High Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #4515
lipsee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
I think that you are SOL with this. The instrument cluster on the NC contains "other stuff" than instruments. I believe it contains the ECU/PCU for the bike. I cannot find any other "black boxes" on the bike and everything seems to harness up to what they call the "combination meter".
Agggggggggggggggrh surly not,,there must be other black boxs hidden somewhere<,,,RATS I,v gone glum!!!!
lipsee is offline   Reply With Quote