User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Yes, I'll have to but it should be a token amount just in the bottom. I wanted a window to the level but Chris suggested just a drain and a fill at the correct level so it's like a normal transmission - fill it until it overflows and your good. He's right but I like windows - as evidenced by my garage thread...

I digress.

I went out yesterday to work on the bike but we ended up spending the afternoon working on a kickstarter project we're doing together instead. I was frustrated but glad at least one of my many projects is going forward. Once we get our prototypes together for that and we're ready to launch it I'll mention what it is but for now it's enough to say it's not bike related.

I digress again.

I suspect sometimes that it must be difficult to have a conversation with me because my mind wanders so much. Hard to believe right? Okay, back to the topic at hand. My ridiculously sprawling 990 project. Sigh.

So when we last left off I discovered that the spokes were actually 6.8mm and I didn't have a wrench. I ordered a nice Motion Pro one and it showed up on Friday...

...only to end up being too small at 6.71mm. Thanks Motion Pro! Luckily I was at Chris' shop and the Bridgeport was just around the corner so I snugged that sucker down in the vise and skimmed it to 6.8mm. Which was still too small. Slowly I'm learning and I didn't remove the wrench until I'd actually tried to fit a spoke nipple in there. It needed to be 6.83mm to be snug and fit.

6.84 might have been better but I went through the plating to the copper so I suspect it will wear in a bit and it's better to be too tight than too loose.

Back to the wheel.

I decided that I'd best tape the rim to prevent (let's be honest - reduce) any scratches as I took it apart. The spokes were under tension from the crosses as well and when I got the last nipple the wheel was still together and I sensed that my bravado in believing that I could rebuild this wheel might be quite short lived. Woody? Are you watching this?

Once I got to this stage it occurred to me I should have just sold this wheel and bought a new rim and have Woody build it up. Umm, yeah, a bit late for that now. Well, that was all the time I had yesterday. This week I'm headed off to Mass to pass judgement on some photography students. Chris has promised an update to the thread but don't hold your breath - I've been bugging him all week to no avail.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote