User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Ruis_Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Mr. Responsible plays hooky...

I have a young family so riding has taken a back seat lately. However, due to a series of fortunate events today I was able to take the "long way" to work...about 80 miles instead of 6. It was awesome riding weather and totally worth it. And for you sticklers out there: yes, I did deduct from my leave...

Anyway, this was roughly my route:

View Larger Map

Craig Creek Road was a great little road. It is mostly paved with sections of hard-packed dirt.

Across from Caldwell Fields, there is an unnamed road that I've gotten firewood from before. I wanted to check out if it went through to VA-42. It was in fairly good shape: gravel and packed clay, with some washouts.

And other obstacles...

I took a short walk at the dead-end and thought it best to turn around before I lost the whole day.

I made my way back to Craig Creek Rd and continued Northeast until I got to Hall Rd. My GPS and paper Topo map showed it going over the mountain to VA-42. The road was a bit rougher, but not too bad. Scenery was great.

About halfway up, there is another spur road, Earns Knob Road IIRC. I wanted to see who Earn was, or his or her knob, at least, so I took off down the road.

This spur road was nastier, but still not too bad. It had clearly seen little use as of late. Very scenic trail and I was all alone.

By this time, the pull of reality was setting in...drawing me to my day job...I was considering turning back before the end...but the road was too fun to quit riding. I wanted to see what lay ahead.

I got to this shot-up gate...and that was that. Maybe knobs were down this path, but that would require walking!

Upon turning around, I came across this guy. I worked up the courage to walk up and snap this pic.

Coming down towards VA-42 provided awesome views.

In the end, no one was none the wiser about my hooky...no one except you and the rest of the internet! If you can get away with it (and even if you can't), try to get out there and ride!

Ruis_Rider screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:15 PM Reason: Reformatted the pics
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 197
hell yeah. Sometimes the unplanned quick detour makes for a great ride.

Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
hell yeah. Sometimes the unplanned quick detour makes for a great ride

You tell me! I had some of the best moments in my life happen on those little unplanned rides! Great work OP, keep it up!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
A victimless crime.

Bravo.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruis_Rider View Post
However, due to a series of fortunate events today I was able to take the "long way" to work...about 80 miles instead of 6. It was awesome riding weather and totally worth it. And for you sticklers out there: yes, I did deduct from my leave...

Upon turning around, I came across this guy. I worked up the courage to walk up and snap this pic.

In the end, no one was none the wiser about my hooky...no one except you and the rest of the internet! If you can get away with it (and even if you can't), try to get out there and ride!
Awesome, that looked like a great country ride. Now, is it technically hooky if you show up to work...and take leave?

Now about that snake...

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Often my 10 mile journey home from work turns into 100 miles. Nice report. That's a nice looking yellow phase timber rattler, I hope you let him be, some people go out of their way to kill them. I go out of my way to find them, then I let them go
Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Sweet! As someone who also has a family and obligations, I feel your frustration about not riding nearly enough.

Beautiful scenery. I miss the east coast sometimes. I miss the green and sometimes the rain.

Enjoy your rides, and thanks for sharing.
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Ruis_Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thanks for your comments!

I had no idea that rattlesnakes were in VA until I saw that one with my own eyes! I let him be once I took the photo and I did not dare get too close! He appeared to be warming himself in the open sun of the trail and had parked himself perpendicular to the direction of travel...he was very lucky I missed him when I passed by. Both our reactions-->

I highly recommend riding that area for an off-the-beaten-path escape...but beware of the snakes!
Ruis_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Thanks for the RR and routes, looks like a good alternative to our WV rides...