User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
jprism OP
Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer: 73
Two tennesseans to alaska

Well the time has come to ride my 49th state and that would be Alaska. I have been dreaming about this trip since 2010 and finally at 67 years of age decided that it’s now or never. It’s funny when you start talking about going to Alaska, all the riders in your family and friends circle want to go but then all come to the conclusion that it’s to many miles, too much money, too much time, not the right year, etc etc etc. In the last 2 months however, I found an old friend that was still serious about going so to the delight of me, my wife and family he will be going along for the trip.

On Tuesday June 11th, we will leave out of Nashville, TN and make the 3,700 mile ride up to Beaver Creek YT in 8 days. From Beaver Creek, we will spend 12-13 days just riding around Alaska hopefully including a trip to the Arctic Circle and back from Fairbanks. We will depart Alaska from Skagway and will ride south on highway 37 to Kitwanga BC where it meets highway 16 east. Taking 16 east over to Jasper AL to ride south on the Icefields Parkway down to Banff. After site seeing Jasper/Banff National Parks, we will cross back into the US again at Roosville, MT and camp one final night at Fish Camp in Glacier NP.

If you wish to follow in our journey we will be using 2 web tools. One a Spot Locator to leave a bread crumb trail of our journey and second we will attempt daily to post to our Google Blog site. You can find both links below…enjoy

SpotWalla: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...951a9edf5e6065

Google Blog: www.jimryanalaska.blogspot.com

NOTE: I want to send a special thanks to all the members of this forum who have guided me for the last 6 months by answering my countless questions posted about travel, camping, eating and places to see in Canada and Alaska. Without your great input this trip would maybe not have happened.
Tennessee Traveler #41
Double Darkside #1164
"Got Miles!"
jprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
Good luck on your trip. I will be making the same trip later in Aug.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 631
Good luck!

You bet I'll be following along all the way. All the best good luck to you that I can muster up! Thanks for doing this as I love the Alaskan adventures.....I've got you by two years or so but my dreams have been hanging on, nagging at me still. If I can't make it I'll have to follow along from my trusty old recliner, like I've mentioned before. :-)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
jprism OP
Got Miles & Smiles

Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
You bet I'll be following along all the way. All the best good luck to you that I can muster up! Thanks for doing this as I love the Alaskan adventures.....I've got you by two years or so but my dreams have been hanging on, nagging at me still. If I can't make it I'll have to follow along from my trusty old recliner, like I've mentioned before. :-)

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
I hope that you make to Alaska also. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. Jim
Tennessee Traveler #41
Double Darkside #1164
"Got Miles!"
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Coalman
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprism View Post
Well the time has come to ride my 49th state and that would be Alaska. I have been dreaming about this trip since 2010 and finally at 67 years of age decided that it’s now or never. It’s funny when you start talking about going to Alaska, all the riders in your family and friends circle want to go but then all come to the conclusion that it’s to many miles, too much money, too much time, not the right year, etc etc etc. In the last 2 months however, I found an old friend that was still serious about going so to the delight of me, my wife and family he will be going along for the trip.

On Tuesday June 11th, we will leave out of Nashville, TN and make the 3,700 mile ride up to Beaver Creek YT in 8 days. From Beaver Creek, we will spend 12-13 days just riding around Alaska hopefully including a trip to the Arctic Circle and back from Fairbanks. We will depart Alaska from Skagway and will ride south on highway 37 to Kitwanga BC where it meets highway 16 east. Taking 16 east over to Jasper AL to ride south on the Icefields Parkway down to Banff. After site seeing Jasper/Banff National Parks, we will cross back into the US again at Roosville, MT and camp one final night at Fish Camp in Glacier NP.

If you wish to follow in our journey we will be using 2 web tools. One a Spot Locator to leave a bread crumb trail of our journey and second we will attempt daily to post to our Google Blog site. You can find both links below…enjoy

SpotWalla: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...951a9edf5e6065

Google Blog: www.jimryanalaska.blogspot.com

NOTE: I want to send a special thanks to all the members of this forum who have guided me for the last 6 months by answering my countless questions posted about travel, camping, eating and places to see in Canada and Alaska. Without your great input this trip would maybe not have happened.
I will be leaving Colorado on June 18. Will traveling from Grand Junction to yellowknife then on to Alaska. Will be traveling the Ice field Parkway on the way up.I will be meeting my wife in Anchorage on July 18. Hope to see you on the road.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
jprism OP
Got Miles & Smiles

Alaska Photos

This link will take you to some of the better photos from our Alaska trip...enjoy

Tennessee Traveler #41
Double Darkside #1164
"Got Miles!"
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
the blog link is broken
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote