Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #61
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
Oh and for the record the engine underneath the hood of that car is not an ABA engine code. The ABA engine was only found in the Mk3 generation of the Golfs and Jettas and was an 8v non-interference engine. Yours is a 9a code 2.0 16v motor which is an interference engine (the valves will kiss the pistons if the belt is not changed in the proper time and usage intervals).
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #62
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGinAZ View Post
Oh and for the record the engine underneath the hood of that car is not an ABA engine code. The ABA engine was only found in the Mk3 generation of the Golfs and Jettas and was an 8v non-interference engine. Yours is a 9a code 2.0 16v motor which is an interference engine (the valves will kiss the pistons if the belt is not changed in the proper time and usage intervals).

Definitely wrong. I had a 96 and it was the ABA. However, the intake plenum was different between some of the models.

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #63
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Hi Dagofast--

I apologize for the intrusion into your thread but as it contains the two letters "VW" I cannot help but stop by.

I have owned a few B4 Passat platforms (along with numerous B1, B2, B3 and B5/5.5 cars too) and I can tell you that you have started out in the right light by doing the timing belt/tensioner/water pump service right off of the bat.

As far as good local resources for parts I would strongly suggest that you look to Affordable German here in Phoenix for good used parts on the vintage watercooled stuff. If you call down there ask for Bill (the owner) or perhaps ask for a technician by the name of Dan for assistance in locating that part.

If that doesn't work call Chapman on McDowell and ask for the wholesale parts manager (Geoff) and in both cases let them know that Paul with the Syncro Tristar referred ya. There are quite a few good local resources I can extend to you locally as well as elsewhere in the country to keep your mom's car (now your son's car) on the road.
Thanks for the great resources!

I'll be making some calls tomorrow!
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #64
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

Hum, I haven't actually seen the ABA stamp on the block with my own beady trifocaled eyes. But the Bentley Manual says that is the 2.0 litre engine that resides under the hood.

I'm still a looong way off from being a VW expert, so I'll have to wait for my next chance to get under the hood and see for myself if I can find the stamping.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #65
PaulGinAZ
FNG

Oddometer: 259
I did some research and consulted with some VW experts and need to correct my statement above. The B3 featured the 2.0 9a 16v on Bosch Motronic where the B4 featured the ABA OBDII 2.0 8v motor (the one in the OP's Passat), the AHU TDi (like the one in my Tristar Syncro) and the coil-pack equipped OBDII VR6.

Mine was a GLX VR6 wagon.
-1989 VW Syncro Tristar TDi (long-term project)
-Too many bikes and cars in my sordid past to list...
PaulGinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #66
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

This car only has OBD, it has a 5.95 build date. My understanding is only later in the model year did they add OBDII.

That certainly would have made our life easier since we could have rolled in to the OBD lane and just let them plug in for the emission testing.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #67
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,459
Quote:
I did some research and consulted with some VW experts and need to correct my statement above. The B3 featured the 2.0 9a 16v on Bosch Motronic where the B4 featured the ABA OBDII 2.0 8v motor (the one in the OP's Passat), the AHU TDi (like the one in my Tristar Syncro) and the coil-pack equipped OBDII VR6.

Mine was a GLX VR6 wagon.
ah. I thought you were saying that the B4 platform was not ABA. B4 went from 94-...97?ish? I dunno. But my 96 was OBDII and ABA with the good manual trans. (O2A?) With the StageII supercharger on the tranny never missed a beat.

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #68
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

I spent the evening reading and re-reading the Bentley manual. I'm still a noob to these V-dubs and apparently the device on the back of the engine on the transmission end that I thought was the EGR valve was the "combi-valve" for the secondary air injection system.

I was up early and had the hood up outside in the daylight this morning instead of a darker garage. I found the EGR on the rear of the engine on the dampner end under the plenum. There were some more vacuum lines on this side and there was a long one that runs in front of, and snaps in to the timing belt cover that goes to the EGR valve. It was not connected at the valve end. I'm speculating it got pulled off accidentally when the dealer was changing the timing belt. I replaced it with new line and pulled a vacuum with the MityVac and the idle slowed right down and got rough and then sped up and smoothed out when I released the vacuum. I replaced every other piece of vacuum hose in sight and buttoned her up.

The little bugger passed its emissions test this evening with flying colors!!!

Gonna hit the DMV and get the new title and license plate tomorrow afternoon when the boy gets out of summer school.

Thanks again for all of the feedback, references, referrals and help!

At this point the car is 99% perfect. Only the moon roof isn't working, it blows fuses. It's the one thing mom didn't bother to have fixed since in Vegas, like here, you just cook the top of your head when its open and in Oregon it flat rained too much. Maybe next winter break when the weather is perfect, we might give it a whirl. I did see in the manual there is a hand crank underneath the switch cover. If that cranks it open & closed smoothly, my guess is its a short in a wire or the motor. If its clunky, my guess is it is full of dirt and crud and needs a good cleaning and lubrication.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #69
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
Hum, I haven't actually seen the ABA stamp on the block with my own beady trifocaled eyes. But the Bentley Manual says that is the 2.0 litre engine that resides under the hood.

I'm still a looong way off from being a VW expert, so I'll have to wait for my next chance to get under the hood and see for myself if I can find the stamping.
Oh yeah, I did find the stamp on the block (and a sticker on the timing cover) this morning. It's an ABA engine for sure. Interestingly, Bentley says the engines built from 8.95 with OBDII do NOT have the EGR valve but they do get two oxygen sensors vs. the single one our oldie has.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #70
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

And now the promised and overdue road trip part of the story!

We left Medford at 9:15 am and headed for the I-5. Our original plan had been to go north to Grants Pass and head for the Oregon coast. But we had spent extra time dealing with the PS pump and yet more visiting with family so we headed south. We are planning on making a calendar from grandma with pictures of her old car in various settings in its new life, so we did make multiple stops in picturesque places along our journey. Dagoboy is and will be taking additional shots at his work, high school and his massage therapy school as well as any other good photo ops in his travels. Hopefully mom will enjoy seeing the pictures every month of his and her old cars new adventures.

We made good time on the slab until Redding CA and then we hit highway two niner niner. This is a long slice of heaven and our timing was perfect with mid-week non summer holiday traffic. The small hamlet of Weaverville is on this ribbon of delight and is rumored to be the sight of an upcoming BMW MOA rally. Our compliments to the organizers for their inspired choice of locale.

[IMG][/IMG]
Our favorite view on a GPS screen.

[IMG][/IMG]
Our even more favorite view through a windshield or helmet visor.

We hit Eureka about 3:00pm and pulled in to Big Louie's for a late lunch of pizza pie and a fresh tank of petrol.

After that, we rolled forward on our quest to this particular trips version of the mother road.
[IMG][/IMG]

As we pulled up to take this picture, the boy was growing drowsy with a gut full of pie and there was a big group of Harley's getting ready to depart, so while they were pulling on their beanie helmets, we snapped the pic, performed a Chinese fire drill, I floored it and we left them in our rear view mirror.

The next 22 miles were pure bliss. While dagoboy slept, I got to drive and lay waste to his tires for a change! Deep in old growth forest, this road snakes up, down and all around with a shockingly generous speed limit of 55 MPH that I did my level best to attain. We might have touched it once or twice on a rare piece of straight road connecting wonderfully tight and banked corners, but I made it a point to at least double or better the yellow signs suggesting the corner speeds. The single vehicle we encountered, a Volvo wagon also being driven a bit spiritedly, pulled aside at the first opportunity and let us motor on by. All too soon, we popped out of the trees and voila!

[IMG][/IMG]

We let the car pose for its close ups and centerfolds.

[IMG][/IMG]

By now it was late afternoon and the kid was slogging through small beach towns with 25-35 MPH limits one after another, bored out of his gourd. A quick check of the atlas showed nothing but more of the same for hundreds of miles. It being the boys car and trip, he made the command decision to head back inland and we found another suitable squiggly line on the map to take us there. CA128 was another inspiring road through some gorgeous wine country. It remained excellent all the way to Cloverdale where we reconnected with the 101 and proceeded to put some serious miles under our belts. The boy prophetically predicted he was good up until 9:30pm, by which time he had made Oakland. We made a side of the road switch and while he slept, I booted us out past Livermore towards the central valley and I-5 again. I drove until about 11:00 pm when I made a pitstop in the glittering metropolis of Los Banos and called three of the hotels to procure a room for the evening. All were booked, the boy was still zonked out and the car and I had more gas in the tank so I forged on southward until 1am until we were just north of Buttonwillow where I hit a 76 truck stop, pulled to a far corner of the lot and slept like a baby until 5:15am. I fired up the newly christened "2slow" and we motored off south again in search of breakfast at a little place I've been to in Gorman on Tejon pass.

[IMG][/IMG]

After a rejuvenating breakfast the boy got his first taste of driving in Southern California rush hour traffic as we skirted the denser parts of the city in favor of the outskirts by using the 210 belt clear to Redlands. Shortly after that we were back in familiar surroundings when we hit the high desert.

[IMG][/IMG]

After a visit to pay our respects to General Patton at his museum, we noshed on a lunch of apple, oranges, bananas and then I noticed the kid kept magically producing homemade cookies he had secretly squirreled away in his console from Grandma's retirement home lobby! This late discovery marked to one and only time he gave me one! I will someday exact my revenge.

[IMG][/IMG]
Soon thereafter we introduced 2slow to his new state.

[IMG][/IMG]
As we approached the valley of the sun, signs that we were close to home appeared. Hey 2slow! You're not in the pacific northwet anymore!

[IMG][/IMG]
Finally, we were home! I think the car understands he has a new owner...thats more miles than he would have seen in the next 2 years in the space of a week.

[IMG][/IMG]
The boy and the car seem to have settled in to their daily routines.

Hopefully, their adventures together are just getting started and will last many happy years.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #71
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

After faithful service through a brutally hot summer where it needed nothing more than gas and a $22 can of R134-A to return the AC from "mildly cool" to "Holy Frostbite, Batman!" levels, 2Slow took his first ride on a flatbed yesterday.

Dagoboy has been faithfully checking fluid levels and told me last week he was coming up on 5,000 miles and would be needing an oil change, so I had picked him up a filter.

Then the oil light and chime came on when he was on his way to his afternoon school so he wheeled in to a gas station and put a quart of oil in it and finished the trip to school. It started to blink and chime again when he pulled in to the school parking lot. He called me and headed in to class. After finishing a meeting downtown, I ran home to grab a 5 quart jug of oil, some rags and a few tools and then I saw the small trail of oil he had left going down our street.

There was no oil trail following his car in to the school parking lot and no oil was showing on the dipstick, but 3 quarts brought it up to full. There were numerous splotches on the ground under the engine and oil everywhere on the front of the engine and engine compartment and the radiator fan blades.

It fired right up and sounded/ran fine. I texted him in his class and asked him if it had run hot at all and he said no.

I backed it in to a clean spot and let it idle while looking for a leak and didn't see one. Then he snuck out of class on a "bathroom break" and when he revved it up a little, I could see oil coming from between the oil filter/cooler housing and the block. He shut it down and there was already a growing oil puddle under the car. Some quick Googling showed it to be a common problem for the rubber (curse you, German rubber! ) gasket/o-ring to fail due to cracking.

He went back to finish his last hour of class and I called roadside assistance to arrange a tow. By the time he came out with his 2 female carpool buddies, it was being loaded up and taken off to our local independent mechanic.

Hopefully, they'll get it fixed to today and that will get him back on the road and me back off taxi duty.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #72
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,518
Good thing that happened to your son and not your mom.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #73
klx250sfguy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I've enjoyed this adventure. You're a good dad.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #74
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Good thing that happened to your son and not your mom.
My son has put 5k on the car since late May. That amount of miles would have taken mom 5 years to put on. She's already 80 so it's doubtful it ever would have broken down on her.

And klx250sfguy, thanks. I'm glad you've enjoyed the adventure too.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #75
Dagofast OP
Full giggety ahead.

Guttentag VW faithful.

2Slow has been faithfully racking up the miles; between 2 schools and 3 jobs the boy is closing in on 54k and loves this car as much as his Grandma did. (should I be checking it for an exhaust leak??)

Anyway, the boy frequently has 1-3 girls carpool to massage therapy school with him and today the front passenger window failed to roll up. It tries and with makes it about halfway up before stalling out, with some help by lifting on the glass we can get it about 4-5" from closed. It feels like it hits a jam or has jumped the track, but is clearly still in the slots.

Very early in this thread someone mentioned regulators being a common failure point, but a quick Google brings up a bunch of Ebay & other replacement "window clips." 2 Funny white plastic looking doodads. Does that sound like what has possibly gone awry here? No chance to really look at it until Saturday or Sunday; the kid is always busy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: