User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
The Patagonia Kid OP
gnarly adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Question 2013 Alaska ride

OK fellows seems that my time for de ride has come. Don't know if is going to be much of a report from me though I'll make an effort.Since I brought my BMW R80 from my South American adventures that I've thinking about the last frontier.
Original plan is to make it to Anchorage and depending on the weather, bike and my health will see if I can make a run to Deadhorse.
The old R80 served me well so deserves to be taken for this ride.
Originally planned to make it to Prince George BC in three days, then see how it goes.
I already departed from Thousand Oaks, Ca June 1st.
On my way to SF on the I 5 had a little surprise, while riding at 70 miles an hour the fellow driver of a pick up truck waved me to stop... Rare but well...
Bottom line I stopped on the side of the road and on a broken English he told me something fell from the bike... Oh s...t
I looked around the beemer to discover that I lost my motorcycle cover that was not packed properly, thanked the concerned driver and we both were on our way. I did not turn back 5 or more miles to look for it. Let it go...
Bottom line my first riding day made it to Medford as planned...that's 700 miles, second day also made it to Hope, BC ... Another 680 miles.
Tomorrow will be Prince George.
Stay tuned, rise early and ride steady.
Godspeed,
E
The Patagonia Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Have fun but don't get caught speeding in Canada the RCMP and local PD aren't that easy on bikers.

Don't forget the photos.........

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Have fun but don't get caught speeding in Canada the RCMP and local PD aren't that easy on bikers.

Don't forget the photos.........
Kid, Stick isn't joking. My wife and I did Prudhoe in '09 and it was, bar none, the finest vacation ever. We absolutely had a blast.

On the other hand there just isn't much need at all to speed. Seriously, once you get out of the city it's pretty much just you out there. I remember the Al-Can...500+ miles of...trees. And no turns or curves. Best answer was to throw my feet up on the highway pegs and relax for all I could. It was stunningly beautiful.

Anyway, take lots and lots of pix. I love these AK stories!

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
The Patagonia Kid OP
gnarly adventurer

Wicked Prince George, BC

I made it as planned, so far no deer, moose or Canadian police encounters although saw a very nice fox crossing the road ahead of me.Back on the motorcycle cover story... I don't like leaving my bike uncovered at night so what to do what to do... Finding a nice small packable cover won't be an easy task so I settled for a 6x8 tarp, not pretty but works.
Ride safe, godspeed.
Ed
Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
Keep Us posted. How's the cassiar ? And damage from that recent flooding of Dease lake ?

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
The Patagonia Kid OP
gnarly adventurer

Pissed 37 hw

This morning started riding the 16 Yellow head Hw and at gas stop learned about the flooding, not wanted to get stranded knowing in advance that there is trouble turned around and returned to P George.Now assessing the situation and looking for the alternate route 97, which I was not interested in taking. Lets see what I decide.
Godspeed,
E
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patagonia Kid View Post
I made it as planned, so far no deer, moose or Canadian police encounters although saw a very nice fox crossing the road ahead of me.Back on the motorcycle cover story... I don't like leaving my bike uncovered at night so what to do what to do... Finding a nice small packable cover won't be an easy task so I settled for a 6x8 tarp, not pretty but works.
Ride safe, godspeed.
Ed

I love these kinds of RR's as this is great country. Have a safe trip....And about the tarp.....I've decided to use that same size tarp for my bikes under my reg. covers since every cover that I've had eventually leaks to some extent. The tarp keeps things nice and dry even though my covers leak.

Thanks for taking the time to do a RR....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
The Patagonia Kid OP
gnarly adventurer

Alaska ....

Opssss! had to make some changes... and I am sorry to disappoint though this time decided not to keep on going up north.
Reality is that the machine performed very well and I was feeling very good too but all of a sudden I started thinking ... mmmm! I am going to be 50 years old very soon and if I don't make it on time back to LA I know I am going to upset some people that's waiting to celebrate with me.
The bottom line is that I found out what I was set up to really do. By my calculations I could make it to Fairbanks from Los Angeles in about 7 riding days. The goal was to reach Prince George, BC in three riding days and got it done.
First day 700 miles
Second day 670 miles
3rd day 400 + and I made it to PG.
So my guess is that with 25 vacation days will make a memorable ride / trip.
Well guys that's about it for this season. Godspeed, Ed