User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
AngryAndo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Savannah Way or Melbourne to the gulf and back.

Hi everyone,
This will be my first Ride report and our first real adventure ride. We are less than 3 weeks from departure so I thought I would start with the preparation for our first trip.
I know when we started preparing, the more information I could get the better.

THE BIKES: 4 bikes: Graeme (that's me), my son Tim and his mate David all on DR 650's and David's father Simon on the KTM 990.

We have been planning this ride for nearly a year and of course now that we are less than 3 weeks from the start everything is being rushed at the last moment.

When we first began planning Simon was the only one in the group to have a suitable bike. After plenty of investigation the three of us all chose DR's as the best all round bike and best value for money.

This is how the DR's started out

All three DR's have had similar modifications with Acerbis 20 litre tanks, Vince Strang suspension mods and after market exhausts.

In addition we have added panier racks and Andy Strapz bags, MCS Steering dampeners alloy fat bars, Bark Busters and more.

My Bike with the first mods: Acerbis Tank

Tim is still working on a modified headlight and screen set up but it is not yet ready. I will post photos once it is completed.

PREPARATION:
In the lead up to this ride we did a weekend test ride from Melbourne to Swan Hill and return a total of just over 1000 km nearly 800 dirt.
This ride was mainly to test the set ups and ensure we were all capable of riding 500 km per day.

Tim and I then joined the ride to Birdsville to celebrate the life of Tug Boat Bill. We rode from Port Augusta and covered over 2000 km in the week we were away.
In addition to respecting Bill we saw this as another test ride in Preparation for the Savanah Way trip.

Our bikes outside the Birdsville Pub

With a few of our new found friends

The one thing I have learned from that trip and also from RR's of others is that most new adventure riders tend to carry too much and we were no exception. I even posted a box of unwanted stuff home from Birdsville.

That's all I've got for now but I will add some photos before we head off and some more detail on the bike set ups.

DL 650 V Strom
DR 650 2012
Savanah Way 2013 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post21608773

AngryAndo screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 05:55 AM
AngryAndo is offline   Reply With Quote