Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #481
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Yeah, it's pretty simple once you get your head around it. I used Delphi weather packs and did away with the Acewell plugs. Partly because I was adding a whole bunch of other stuff, 60+ wire terminations. Only had 2 issues. Got the turn signals crossed and the tack wire at the OEM instrument cluster didn't go any where.

The benefit with swapping out the acewell plugs is 1) if a miss wire occures you just move a pin into another slot. No having to redo solder etc. 2) troubleshooting is a breeze. Just disconnect them and poke around. Try to group them together tho. One connector for power/ignition, one connector for the first acewell *group* etc. Then number the connector plugs per the acewell wiring diagram. So the first group is 1 then the Delphi sockets are lettered A,B,C etc. This also helps get rid of the Acewell middle connection if desired. So do some poking around and see if there are other connector kits to your liking, if this is the way you want to go. Drop me a line if you need help with the Delphi stuff.

The whole connector thing cost 30 bucks with the crimper.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #482
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 359
here is a nice photo I took last night.

1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #483
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
So you got one too? Great!

I still love mine (on my CB750). Although I need to rewire the revcounter. Here's a video of the Acewell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf76eb4A5QA
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #484
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 359
[QUOTE=MIOB;21389419]So you got one too? Great!

I bought mine when this new model first came out, over a year ago. I saved it for the very last thing to install on my build because anytime I saw all the wires in the Acewell box I would freak out!

It really wasn't as bad as it looks.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #485
tete
clown shoes

Oddometer: 348
Here is where I stand. Everything works perfect except forthe speedometer. I wired this up and no results still. I tried splicing the white wire and grounding it. Also tried connecting to blue which was dumb because that's for the fuel indicator. Also tried white the regular way by connection it as pictured
Acewell 2853

Old 06-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #486
tete
clown shoes

Also for what ever reason I do get speed at times using the plug harness as my drawing shows. All the sudden it will flash a speed for a couple seconds them it will read zero again. Rpm works fine, blinkers etc. just the speedo
Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #487
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

I did a solder splice on mine and the mph were very erratic. Assumed it was the splice, so I ordered another sensor from Baja Designs, 20 bucks. That fixed it up. BUT, not sure if it was the splice or the sensor.

What you could try, is take the supplied wheel sensor and just tape (ie. scotch) the magnet to the rim, then tape the pickup to ?. Then see if you get any indication. That will tell you if it's the sensor or the instrument/wiring.

Actually, maybe you could just tape the magnet to a drill chuck and hold the pick up close enough to get a reading?

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #488
tete
clown shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
I did a solder splice on mine and the mph were very erratic. Assumed it was the splice, so I ordered another sensor from Baja Designs, 20 bucks. That fixed it up. BUT, not sure if it was the splice or the sensor.

What you could try, is take the supplied wheel sensor and just tape (ie. scotch) the magnet to the rim, then tape the pickup to ?. Then see if you get any indication. That will tell you if it's the sensor or the instrument/wiring.

Actually, maybe you could just tape the magnet to a drill chuck and hold the pick up close enough to get a reading?

good idea. will do over the weekend.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #489
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Oddometer: 212
wire ID

Putting an Acewell 2853 on a 1975 R90/6. It appears my wiring is more closely matched to a 74. I've got everything figured out accept....... I have a solid black wire going to the #10 terminal on the square pod plug. Does not show on my Climber or Haynes manual. Anyone know it's purpose?
mattcfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #490
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
According to my old notes, Pin 10 is the tach sensor (which is also the points "ground").....The older bikes of course have a mechanical tachometer, but the later bike with an electronic tach simply use the ground side of the points (or later bikes, the hall sensor)

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #491
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
According to my old notes, Pin 10 is the tach sensor (which is also the points "ground").....The older bikes of course have a mechanical tachometer, but the later bike with an electronic tach simply use the ground side of the points (or later bikes, the hall sensor)

Thanks, makes since, but why does the points ground go into the instrument pod on a mechanical tach bike?
Does it serve a purpose there, or was it pre-wiring for the evential intro of electronic units?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #492
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

A word on the speed sensors that go in the trans.

If the speed indication quits but every thing else works, I suggest pulling over and taking the sensor out to have a look. On a recent trip this happened to mine. Pulled it at the next gas stop to check that it hadn't bound up.

It seems that there is a pin that holds the square drive part of the sensor that worked it's way out. It broke apart the pickup assembly and the square drive part was twisted. I removed these parts to keep from damaging the transmission speedo drive and put the sensor housing back in to help seal the hole.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #493
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Setting up for 32/11 FD

I'm running a 32/11 final drive. Has anybody set up an Acewell with the transmission mounted sensor to work with the tall gears? What number did you use for the tire circumference since you need to adjust for the gear ratio? Post #441 mentions using the 1480 setting for a 34/11. I assume I need a bigger number than that.
If someone has already listed this figure I apologize.
It would be nice for this thread to have a list (given the average rear tire size of an airhead, my measurement was 82 1/8") of which setting works with each ratio.....for those of us using the S-11 sensor, that is.

mattcfish screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 01:27 PM
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #494
mattcfish
R90SS/6

OK, I got the formula off the Acewell forum. http://acewell.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46 My 26.1" diameter tire (82.125" circumference) combined with a 2.91:1 (32/11) gear ratio at the final drive) will give me a ballpark "c" setting of 717. A long way from 1480 from the previously mentioned post. Not sure what he's talking about. According to Acewell, if you're using a transmission mounted sensor you need to divide the tire circumference (in millimeters) by the number of times the wheel rotates per sensor revolution.
82.125"=2085.975mm
2085.975 / 2.91=717
We'll see if that's close

mattcfish screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 12:36 AM
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #495
mattcfish
R90SS/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcfish View Post
OK, I got the formula off the Acewell forum. http://acewell.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46 My 26.1" diameter tire (82.125" circumference) combined with a 2.91:1 (32/11) gear ratio at the final drive) will give me a ballpark "c" setting of 717. A long way from 1480 from the previously mentioned post. Not sure what he's talking about. According to Acewell, if you're using a transmission mounted sensor you need to divide the tire circumference (in millimeters) by the number of times the wheel rotates per sensor revolution.
82.125"=2085.975mm
2085.975 / 2.91=717
We'll see if that's close
Ignore everything I previously said, c= 1425 or very near abouts on a 32/11 equipped bike. I arrived at this through trial and error on the long ride to the MOA rally from B'ham to Salem via Eastern Wa.