User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
johnson357 OP
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,205
From the Midwest to the Mexican 1000 The Bad Monkey Racing Race Report

Ok, I'll try to keep the typing to a minimum and lots of pictures.
The bio:
42 year old K9 Cop from Indy. I'm an average rider (barely bumped to A class by a point in last Harescramble season I raced in 09); 3 shoulder surgeries (with a steel shoulder in my future, only reason he didn't on last surgery is because I was only 40), 1 Zombie ligament ACL. So pretty much told not to race or ride off road any more, but.......

The reason:
I've been to Baja before in 06 to race the 500 with a buddy and fell in love with riding down there. I lost a lot of desire to do.....well much in 07 but after a lot soul searching I realized motorcycles are the one thing that still got me excited to do stuff, I'm in it for the adventure, the escape, the rush, etc......let's face it you have certain experiences in your life that make you realize life is short and as the old saying goes I have no intention of arriving at death well rested. So against all the advice of doctors and my physical therapist wife, I began planning.

Planning:
Money is the biggest thing of course, let's just say my wife is understanding and awesome.

Logistics:
Easy day call Tim Morton with Baja Bound Moto Adventures. We used Tim in 06 to race the 500 and felt like we were a factory race team. Also back in 08 used him again for a ride with my buddy who was pre-running the 1000. Tim and Baja Bound is the go to people for riding in Mexico.

The Trip:
I decided to drive since with almost 20 years on I have more time off than money. So I packed up my 03 Toyota Tundra and heading to Baja Bound World HQ in Escondido, CA.

Drove through a little snow in CO

Felt lucky when stopped that night heard 4 snow boarders were killed in avalanche in area I had just drove through earlier that day.
Next day stopped for some pics going into Utah

The wife couldn't go and she is actually the Monkey in Bad Monkey Racing, she was bummed so I brought along a representative for her.

A hotel stop

Testing around Barstow

Sunrise in the desert is beautiful

Then arrived in Escondido at Baja Bound World HQ. I walked into his shop and saw this

Yeah I know HOLY SH#%! This was one of the bikes shipped to him that he was hauling across the border. This bike belonged to Kelly from Texas who won it in a raffle that was on ADVrider for Chris Blais Rally bike. Kelly did the bike justice riding it fast but sadly broke his collar bone on day 2.

More of the packing.....notice that sweeeet ass tire rack in the pick up truck that Tim made, we had like 23 spares wheels with our crew.

Preparing to sneak people into Mexico

Across the border doing some testing

The first night stay in Mexicali

Still uploading pics more to come.

johnson357 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 09:57 AM
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
johnson357 OP
Bad Monkey Racing

Tech Inspection at the Bull Ring in Mexicali

Inmate Oregoncoast

A couple of cool dudes from Texas....that is inmate Mainroot on right

Me with a matching car in background.....some real cool vintage cars at this event

If you can't tell I like orange and that old chevy

A lot of these pics were stolen from Renomoto's smugmug because he's more experienced than meet at this being in awe thing and took more pics. He been chase in a couple Dakars.

More crazy Texans L to R Beto, a dude, Nate, Matt, and Kelly

The riders meeting in the bull ring

First day roll chart

Roll chart installed along with co-pilot

Day one start

Gas I think with Beto

Nate

Day 1 stage 2 start

What I noticed before the start of stage 2...turns out to be a vent line blowing some oil, caused some panic but not problems.

Veiw coming in on the transfer to finish in Bay of LA

Day 1 finish and fish tacos and beer inside

Oh yeah just before above we stopped and got gas and Walker Evans rolled in with that sweet old Dodge

This is where we were suppose to camp until the crazy wind started blowing everything away.

Tim and Seve of DP Racing planned and Seve cooked us a awesome meal beach side. Seve hanging with our crew supporting his rider and over all motorcycle winner Justin Morgan riding a Baja Bound prepped bike...more on that later.

Cars at finish day 1

Pits on the beach

Day 2 start

Mike's (Renomoto) bike and I think near San Ignaico(sp)

Day 2 finish.....most of these pics were taken from Mike since I got really dehydrated and felt horrible till the next morning when Beto gave me some electrolyte powder for my water......Thanks again Beto
This pic was the beginning of the dehydration....didn't top off drink system in previous transfer and ran out of water in the 25 mile rock section. Also I would find out later a fellow inmate lost his life in that same section not long after I finished. That was Tim's parent's in the Ford with the camper shell waiting on riders and handing out cold water, also super nice people.

Me, Dakar finisher and last year's winner Octavio Valle, and Renomoto (Mike)

A cool class 11 bug staying at our hotel in Loreto

Day 3 start

Coming into LaPaz

Finish Line LaPaz Day 3.....only 1 to go.

With Nate, Matt, and me

Texans: Beto, Matt, Nate, and Andrew. Andrew is a legit film maker/producer see Beef and Pie Productions. He was along with the rest of the Texans to film the whole deal. He had his kick ass camera that he used when riding chase with Tim or Seve plus a ton of GoPro footage from all of us. He is currently working on wading through hours upon hours of footage to put together a little video/movie/whatever the correct term is about the journey, can't wait.

johnson357 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 02:42 PM
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,442
Looks like it was a badass time. I was following you on your spot.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
johnson357 OP
Bad Monkey Racing

This is Matt (mainroot) he railed that big 640, so fast the front wheel looked like an stop sign by the time he was done from hitting stuff so fast. He and I hooked up and raced back and forth and 90 mph plus through one of the big lake beds it was so much fun. Well then we hit some rough stuff and he was gone.

In La Paz I highly recommend this place for tacos

Above L to R Beto, me, Nate, Mike, Matt
Below our hotel in La Paz.

What we have all been hoping we would see!!!! Finish Line

Johnny and Josh rode the DRZ

At the hotel a nice old bronco

Awards banquet on the beach.

Me and my trophy but don't get too excited it was 3rd in 450 Rally class but there was only 3 of us left standing at the end anyway. Hey I'll take it since it's the last time I can do something like this. I was 14th motorcycle so I pretty proud of that being from Indiana and not doing much desert riding. More importantly it was and awesome experience with a great bunch of guys.

Also I could not have done it with out the help and support of my wife, Cycle Outfitters, Spyke's KTM, Rally Moto Kit, Tucker Rocky, Spectro, DP Racing(Seve) and even though I paid them for support Tim and Dean with Baja Bound Adventures, plus it was a bargain of a price if you think about all the pressure of having a pro take care of your logistics and worries.

All in all I thought NORAA put on a good event. I think they really are trying to make it fun. Even though my shoulders won't allow me to do it solo again I sure hope I can talk some friends into a team next year so I can go back. If not I'm hoping some Texans will adopt me to be part of there chase crew, heck Andrew needs a film assistant to get him coffee or something. It was that much fun.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
pilo
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 887
Excellent ride and report!!!

Love the smile in the last picture. Well done.
pilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Very nice report good pics
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
Maineroot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Any pics of the ICP juggalos out there in the desert ?
#34 MX1K
TEAM GREENWOOD: Kali Protectives, Hammer Nutrition
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages, Darco Boot, ATOMIC MOTO,
Klim Riding Gear, Flexx Bars, Seat Concepts Seats, CJ DESIGNS PEGS, FORMA
BOOTS, Tj's Cycle, Austin TX
Maineroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
johnson357 OP
Bad Monkey Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroot View Post
Any pics of the ICP juggalos out there in the desert ?
WHAT? I missed that and you know I'm down with the clown!!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
el spiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Johnson, I'd like to apologize for shoving your trophy down my pants at the party. Tequila's fault, really, not mine.

Here's a picture of Matt trying to rehydrate after the race.

el spiderman screwed with this post 05-24-2013 at 06:39 AM
el spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
johnson357 OP
Bad Monkey Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by el spiderman View Post
Johnson, I'd like to apologize for shoving your trophy down my pants at the party. Tequila's fault, really, not mine.
You mean this!!!!!! I forgot you were el spiderman and that whole explanation Plus the important thing is that you didn't put "the menu" down your pants
Old 05-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
johnson357 OP
Bad Monkey Racing

Oh yeah forgot this in my report too....the final GPS read out....I might be off on mileage since I reset it once I day one when my ODM quit working
Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #13
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,791
Very cool
Old 05-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #14
el spiderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Here's Kelly showing us how to ride a factory Dakar bike..

el spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
mickdee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Kudos

Johnson357, thanks for this report. You should be very proud of yourself. One of only 3 to finish is AWESOME! I can't fund something like this in my current stage of life but hope to in the future.
00 TTR250 (nice, for sale)
mickdee is offline   Reply With Quote