Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #451
sp600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Well, the petcock is fubar and will not stop leaking no matter what I use. I've read up on alot of forums and found some golden things to try out but it still leaks. Its leaking from the base gasket. Aside from the POS, thin gasket that came with the petcock, I've tried hi-temp black silicon, a sandwich of gaskets made from an an old motorcycle tube with a piece of glad lid in between, and the same thing instead with karropak make-a-gasket rolls. But it still leaks..

I just acquired some loctite #2 and while its resistant to gasoline, it cures in a soft, pliable state that I'm not sure will hold up to the heat of the engine and any spills i take..
sp600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #452
sp600
Adventurer

Loctite #2

It looks like this gasket sealant works pretty well in petcock applications. It was pretty pliable after "drying" for the first day or two but has since grown a little harder. When one problem ends a new one begins though. My clutch is slipping and I'm having a hard time getting the clutch cover off there. It seems REALLY stuck! I have all the bolts off and I sprayed WD-40 on the kicstart shaft. Aside from hitting around the cover with a rubber mallet any suggestions for getting it off? Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #453
stussels
chupacabra!

Oddometer: 136
did ya get that one oddball bolt out thats in the middle near the oil sight glass? if so, id just keep tapping it around. mine came off with no real problems
Old 05-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #454
sp600
Adventurer

Yep

COMPLETELY MISSED that bolt, wow, thanks Stussels. After that, the case popped right off. Time to order a new clutch.

-Any suggestions on clutch plates or springs? I'd like to make the clutch lever feel as stiff as I can make it. I'm looking at the EBC friction plates and the KG performance springs on Bikebandit. Are these good?

-Should I replace the steels if they still have dimples and the bike has 13k mi.?
-Lastly, is there any thing else I should replace while I'm in here ie. pressure plate bolts, washers...etc. out of necessity?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #455
stussels
chupacabra!

i used a barnett kit that came with plates and springs. i replaced both the steels and the fibers. once you have the plates out of the basket, check that there are no grooves worn into the basket from the plates edges. if ya do, try to smooth em off somehow. if not no worries. mine didnt have any.

i replaced the clutch plates hoping it would give me more adjustment. it didnt really. theres a real fine line on where it engages without slipping and doesnt pull with the lever pulled. mine pulls a little in gear. pisses me off kinda. i can find neutral easier now though. oh and soak those fiber plates in oil overnight before install. you probably knew that-
Old 05-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #456
tdrrally OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
did you look into a raptor petcock ?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #457
stussels
chupacabra!

hes got an aftermarket plastic tank. not sure if it would apply here. may be worth checking though if its still giving you problems.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #458
sp600
Adventurer

Stussels - Sorry to hear that about your clutch. It was a little confusing, is the bike pulling forward when the lever is pulled in?? I could see that being very annoying.

Tdrrally - Yea, I totally looked into the raptor petcock originally because it was very similar to stock, but couldn't find any made for a right-sided tank. It could never work, unless I routed the fuel tube up around my forks or something like that.

BTW I did a small write-up with some time to kill about the NSU mod for the Sp600/Dr600. It's in my sig at the bottom.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #459
sp600
Adventurer

Eek Thrust washers

Quick question about the thrust washers... are they supposed to be the same size?

SP600/ DR600 NSU MOD: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891226
Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #460
gunut75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Hubs

You looking for the hubs from an SP600? I have a both stock wheels around. Send me a message.

85 Suzuki SP600 tard project (in progress)
gunut75 is offline   Reply With Quote