Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
SIGINT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Schwarzwald

Schwarzwald tour (May 18-20, 2013)

Thanks for all the nice comments! I finally found some time to post the second ride report: this time I take you to the south-west of Germany. During the whitsun weekend, I visited friends in Lahr; this turned out to be a nice opportunity to explore some backroads in the Schwarzwald (="black forest") area. My initial plan was to ride to Lahr via the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse (B500), then crossing the border to France and getting back to Darmstadt via Kaiserslautern. Unfortunately the weather forecast for France was pretty bad, so I looked for an alternative. This finally was my approximate route (yes, I should get a GPS tracker).

I started in Darmstadt and headed east to the Odenwald area. I love the yellow flowers of Rapeseed...

There are lots of apple trees here; they even make wine out of apples (even though I have to confess that I still don't like "Apfelwein", despite living in Hessen for more than 5 years)...

Finally I reached the Neckar river. Lots of castles here...

I continued my trip by passing Sinsheim and Pforzheim until I finally reached my first destination: the Schwarzwald area. The "black forest" is pretty green this time of the year...

The "Schwarzwaldhochstrasse" (B500) is a great place to ride (even though it is a bit crowded on sunny weekends). Since one of the last big storms, which destroyed significant portions of the trees, you have a marvelous view down to the Rhein valley...

The Schwarzenbach-Reservoir:

The next day started cloudy and wet (unfortunately the weather forecast was correct ). Nevertheless I continued the trip as planned: Lahr - Reichenbach - Biberach - Haslach - Wolfach - Kniebis - Freudenstadt - Bad Wildbad - Pforzheim.

Near Oberwolfach (the small town hosts a famous research center for mathematicians; I have never been there, but I can imagine that spending a week there is a nice break from everyday work):

Continuing the journey on nice back roads...

Finally I reached Heilbronn around noon, my destination for the second day. As predicted it started to rain once I checked into the hotel. I chose Heilbronn since I wanted to visit the local railway museum:

On the next day, I finally rode back to Darmstadt. Near Heilbronn:

I finally reached the river Neckar again:

It was a nice ride, even though it drizzeled almost the entire day -- dark clouds over the Odenwald:

Close to Darmstadt the weather finally improved...

Despite the mediocre weather, it was overall a nice ride!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Great to meet someone from Darmstadt! Nice pictures, have a good ride!
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
motoqueen
One Life. Live It.

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the 'blast from the past'
I was station in Darmstadt '95-'98 and lived in Griesheim..
82 Honda Silverwing - it's a project
motoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #19
naveenroy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Wow, lovely pics and awesome landscapes to ride on. Ah, when will I be able to ride in Europe
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
SIGINT OP
Adventurer

Alpentour, part 1

Alpentour, part 1 (July 14, 2013)

Time for an update in this thread! In July I finally managed to find some free time in my calendar and started my first tour to the Alps this year -- actually I had a good excuse for the trip, as I had to attend a business meeting in a small town in the "Kleinwalsertal", a small (and interesting) Austrian valley near the German border. So I was able to combine the trip with a nice tour and spent three days riding...

Here is my route on the first day of the trip.

I left Darmstadt on a beautiful summer day and rode through the Odenwald area:

The more I see from the Odenwald the more I love this area...

I finally reached the river Neckar with its small villages and castles.

My first stop was the Car and Technology Museum in Sinsheim, which I always wanted to visit. Their large exhibition contains lots of cars, trains, planes and military vehicles. My personal favorite is the Austrian railroad engine 1089, which used to pull heavy trains over the Alps (unfortunately it is hard to take a good picture due to bad presentation of the exhibition ):

They have lots of bikes here too...

There are even old "adventure bikes" on display ...

The highlight of the exhibition is arguably a Concorde plane...

After the museum visit, I finally stopped near Sinsheim to visit the old castle of Steinsberg built around 1100...

... from where you have a nice view on the region around.

After this stop, I finally rode southwards to the Schwarzwald region -- stay tuned for part 2...
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
SIGINT OP
Adventurer

Alpentour, part 2

Alpentour, part 2 (July 15, 2013)

The plan for the second day was to cross the Schwarzwald and explore the Danube river valley near its offspring. I started in Dobel (where I stayed during the night) and proceeded to Gernsbach, Enzklösterle, Freudenstadt, Wolfach, Gutach and Furtwangen. Here is my route on the second day.

The Schwarzwald region is really great for bike trips: nice views (near Bad Herrenalb)...

... more views (near Kaltenbronn)

... lots of small roads

... and more roads.

Time for a break...

After passing Villingen-Schwenningen and Tuttlingen, I finally reached the Danube valley. The Danube is really small here...

More to come!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #22
NellieDriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Hi Sigint,

thank you for your report about this part of Germany. It's my country but it's rare for me to come into this places. If you have some more pics then show us them.
Nelliedriver
NellieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote