Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
mitk125 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
WR250R to WR 250F shock swap. fourm help me!

Just bough MoBill's wr250r. The bike is awesome...but the rear shock blows. Coming from a mx background I want a little bit better suspension.

I bought this bike for fuel economy and reliability. For comparison my other bike is a 950se. I dont think having it well sprung is too much to ask?

Ive read good things about GoFast doing work but at the end of the day it's still a cheap shock.

My first idea is to put the F shock. If the overall length is correct I can make it work.

I am a custom metal fabricator by trade and have access to everything I need to make this work. I just need a little wisdom from the forum before I start.

If, with your help, we can get this to work I would consider manufacturing.

My questions thus far:

1. Will it fit or is it too tall/ short.(i know the mounting types are different but I will be making new ones)?

2. Has anyone done this or a similar setup?

3. Is there a better base shock to start with. The F ones are about $150.00 on ebay.
mitk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,336
A good while back, I know Dirt Rider magazine did a revalve with, I believe, a Race Tech Gold Valve kit that yielded excellent results according to the testers on the OEM shock in the WRR. It makes sense that all the rear shock probably needs is a revalving to improve performance.

For a shock swap possibility, you're going to have to get your hands on one and check stroke, extended length, compressed length, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the piggyback location will be out of synch with the WRR's configuration, so something else to overcome there. You realize that even if the shocks were a perfect fit for swapping, the WRF will probably still need revalving, as I doubt it will be ideal for the WRR's characteristics.

I'm with you on the "as delivered" damping of most of these shocks and forks on DS bikes. I revalved the front and rear of my KLX250 for a huge gain in off road performance. I think you'd experience the same benefit by a simple revalve of your existing shock.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote