Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #31
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
You are going to want to come to the RMAR Rendezvous in Silverton in late July.

http://www.rmariders.org/rmar-rendezvous.html

Trust me, you will have a good time and we will explore more of that Ouray/Telluride/Lake City area.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #32
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 239
Good Feedback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
You are going to want to come to the RMAR Rendezvous in Silverton in late July.

http://www.rmariders.org/rmar-rendezvous.html

Trust me, you will have a good time and we will explore more of that Ouray/Telluride/Lake City area.

Riding and a rib-eye dinner?!? Done. That sounds Awesome.
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #33
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Awesome event, you really should attend. My whole family went last year, and could not have had more fun! We are going back, with more bikes than ever!

You are my kind of guy in the backcountry, my kids give me crap about the photos all the time, but I'll do it anyway!

See you in Silverton, if not sooner.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #34
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,283
Great pics, some of the best I've seen. That didn't look like Corkscrew, more like the west side of Engineer which is the worst part.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
Goofaroo
The Piddler

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Subscribed. I did Black Bear Pass last summer on a KTM 450xc. If you did Engineer Pass on that rig you'll be fine, but "the steps" section on Black Bear will be different. You'll know them when you see them. I walked it down 2/3 of that section, puss that I am. Looking fwd to hearing your experience.
Only you know your limitations but you need to be pretty salty to ride a loaded GS down "the steps" on Black Bear. Stay on the pegs and use the front brake to move very slowly down the steep section and you'll be fine if you're an experienced rider. Keep in mind that by the time you realize you are on "the steps" it will be too late to turn back.

For what it's worth, I did it on my 85 XR350 and had no problems but I probably won't do it again and I certainly wouldn't do it on a loaded GS. In my opinion it's by far the most dangerous obstacle in the entire area. I would suggest Imogene Pass if you're leaving Ouray headed for Telluride.
Goofaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofaroo View Post
Only you know your limitations but you need to be pretty salty to ride a loaded GS down "the steps" on Black Bear. Stay on the pegs and use the front brake to move very slowly down the steep section and you'll be fine if you're an experienced rider. Keep in mind that by the time you realize you are on "the steps" it will be too late to turn back.
Yep
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Those are some outrageously beautiful photos. I do notice they are all of the western one half of Colorado.
And rightfully so. The western half is an outrageously beautiful state.
Except for Denver, which certainly is trying hard to 'californicate'.
I haven't gone into Denver in 40 years.
Two years ago I had beautiful weather all thru' the state. Just like your photos.
But last year I had nothing but cold rain all thru' Rocky Mtn park, and then snow and ice on Berthoud pass.
Not fun but all part of the adventure.
For me it's a requirement to ride thru' there once a year. And not go into Denver.
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #38
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofaroo View Post

For what it's worth, I did it on my 85 XR350 and had no problems but I probably won't do it again and I certainly wouldn't do it on a loaded GS. In my opinion it's by far the most dangerous obstacle in the entire area. I would suggest Imogene Pass if you're leaving Ouray headed for Telluride.
+2. I was w my friend on BBP a couple years ago, he on a fully loaded GS. He is a AMA pro road racer, 30 yrs old. BBP made him say that was the first time ever on a bike he wondered what he had gotten into. We made it of course and it was duly checked off the list. I on a 610 had no issues.

Great Ride Report! awesome pics, this gives me some ammo for my next trip.
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 239
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasrocks View Post
+2. I was w my friend on BBP a couple years ago, he on a fully loaded GS. He is a AMA pro road racer, 30 yrs old. BBP made him say that was the first time ever on a bike he wondered what he had gotten into. We made it of course and it was duly checked off the list. I on a 610 had no issues.

Great Ride Report! awesome pics, this gives me some ammo for my next trip.
Just out of curiosity, what was it specifically that was hairy? Is the risk personal injury, damage to the bike or just too damn steep to take a fat pig down a shale trail? I don't mind the drop off on one side, I'm ok with going over obstacles down-hill(within reason), and I'm not afraid to land on my face and dump the bike provided that it's not going to cause catastrophic damage. The warnings I'm hearing have a certain seriousness to them.
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #40
sasrocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTSQD View Post
Just out of curiosity, what was it specifically that was hairy? Is the risk personal injury, damage to the bike or just too damn steep to take a fat pig down a shale trail? I don't mind the drop off on one side, I'm ok with going over obstacles down-hill(within reason), and I'm not afraid to land on my face and dump the bike provided that it's not going to cause catastrophic damage. The warnings I'm hearing have a certain seriousness to them.

It was a combination of the stair step rocks, the steepness, lack of traction because of sand, gravel and pebbles, unknown what was around the corner and the drop off, more or less in that order.

If I recall he was experiencing the GS grounding on the steps as he went down. Then he stopped and I went by foot to scout the corner, to see the right line and I let him know it was OK down there.

He is just 5"9 so the pig was potentially going to tip over if he stopped when his feet were dangling over the next step. I went back and stood on his right to hold the bike until he got set and underway. I subconsciously was pulling the bike in away from the ledge and he yelled at me to stop pulling him over lol.

The actual descent was cautious and uneventful, just the visuals, steps and lack of traction were daunting.

If this is something you have to do, and you are a pretty good to very good rider and confident, then you can do it on a big bike. I would go with a buddy though. Just my 2 cents

PS we would have had go pro footage if he knew the on off switch correctly. As it was we have BBP footage of the start and finish and none of the trail ha
82 Suzuki RM465
sasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #41
Goofaroo
The Piddler

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
If I recall he was experiencing the GS grounding on the steps as he went down. Then he stopped and I went by foot to scout the corner, to see the right line and I let him know it was OK down there.

He is just 5"9 so the pig was potentially going to tip over if he stopped when his feet were dangling over the next step. I went back and stood on his right to hold the bike until he got set and underway. I subconsciously was pulling the bike in away from the ledge and he yelled at me to stop pulling him over lol.
That pretty much sums it up. A Pro AMA road racer got down it with assistance on a loaded GS. I got down it solo on my XR350 and was very careful to keep my speed down to a crawl and kept my feet on the pegs.

The problem is that it is very steep, very loose in spots, and a very long way to fall if you go over the edge. There really isn't a graceful way to lose control so you really just need to be very careful and keep the speed way down. Treat it like a trials section.

You will know you are there when you start a steep descent with a small waterfall running along the left side. It slowly turns right and gets steeper as you descend. By the time you get there, you have no choice but to keep going.

Knowing what I know, and having made it down before, I would take Imogene Pass. However, if you feel that you are capable of tackling it, it is a very beautiful trail and is actually pretty easy except for the steps.
Goofaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #42
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,628
Look on YouTube or Vimeo for some videos on Black Bear on a MC. You'll find a lot of them out there.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #43
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,283
B - that's some real good stuff. Thanks for the post up. Been saying I'm going to work less and play more one of these summers and now a CO trip is on the horizon.......... less than 2 weeks away .
Thanks for the teaser pix and personal take on the trails - a lot of those places are on my "list" - including the pubs .

CMF
Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #44
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Last year as a ride leader out of the Rendezvous, my group went over BBP.

In the group were two DRZ400's, a DRZ250, a couple of big Honda 650's, an 800GS, and two 1200GS's!!!!!!!!

The issue for anyone on a "big bike" is gearing. This section in particular is a steep loose decent. Doing that, while distracted by the scenery, with little or no engine braking is difficult. To do this while effectively freewheeling and only using the brakes on loose surfaces with turns around obstacles is a test of the riders ability. My 16 year old daughter on the 250 chose to walk it down. The 400's made it. The 650's tried it some and then walked. The very good rider on the 800 made it. The VERY good rider on a very stripped down 1200 made it with some mild drama, and the other 1200 was an epic failure.

So, a bigger bike makes it harder, but the better the rider, the better your chances. I really think that a big component is the visual intimidation that you experience when you come around the corner and see what lay ahead!

It will be a ride from the Silverton gathering, so if you want some buddies along for support, that would be the time to do it!!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #45
Super T
Ridge Runner

Oddometer: 11
Saw Imogene Pass as alternative to BBP so I did some homework :

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=BLk4D...%3DBLk4Dv-qhk8

I'm wondering if that snow on the trail is gone by August? The more I research the more I feel I should trailer a 250 behind the 1200. I'm 5'9" & on my toes in the driveway. Haven't really been tested on the "T" yet, guess I'll just have to do Engineer Pass & judge from there. Everyone's RR with heavy bikes in mind really helps. All good stuff!
Super T is offline   Reply With Quote