Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #31
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernumbernine View Post
I haven't booked any hotels as I'm trying to keep some flexibility but that was a decision taken without much consideration, should I reconsider this? What's your opinion?
You're traveling late enough in the season so that most, if not all, of the hotels will be open (they tend to take a break between the ski & moto seasons) - and early enough to be ahead of the tourist hordes. You should be good to go taking it as it comes.

Quote:
As I don't know the stelvio region well at all I'm trying to understand your directions to plot it on google plus before fiddling with the route on the gps but I am not really sure about what you meant. I imagine that uphill hairpins will probably be a royal pain but if they are going to be too hard for me than maybe i should reconsider. i will try and plot this route on GMaps, see if I can manage to understand it.
Your route in blue - highlit alternate route in yellow. My last ride up the Trafoi side was on the beast below, which really doesn't like sharp turns. I never had any problems when on a rented GS - and the fact that you're now riding solo makes it a lot easier. Also - there won't be a lot of traffic to contend with that early in the season. Bring warm gloves, though.

Quote:
New Edit: Am I going the wrong way around the stelvio? Is it absolutely mad if I do this then? http://goo.gl/maps/t6fTu Really want to ride all of those hairpins :)
Again, I was riding my old GSX1100G with the kicked out front end on my last go. You should be good to go - although the northern ramp is a lot more fun going down than up.

The decent into Bormio is a good ride, and shouldn't be missed.

An alternate alternate would be to take the detour above, go down the northern ramp, reverse your original route back to Santa Maria, climb the Umbrail again and then head down to Bormio on your original route.

Puff, puff...

If worse comes to worse, there's a good gelato shop in the center of Glorenza.

Or so I hear...

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #32
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:

I haven't booked any hotels as I'm trying to keep some flexibility but that was a decision taken without much consideration, should I reconsider this? What's your opinion?

---

New Edit: Am I going the wrong way around the stelvio? Is it absolutely mad if I do this then? http://goo.gl/maps/t6fTu Really want to ride all of those hairpins :)
Nowadays, says the senior biker , finding a hotel is so much easier. I have been using http://www.booking.com/ a lot for a few years. Instead of fumbling around with maps and guide books, road signs, and sign languages, just open the smartphone and bingo! That said, I've found that train stations in decent sized towns will have, or will be close to, tourist offices, mines of good info should your phone die.

The counter-clockwise track around Stelvio is the better one. Up and down from/to Mustair is about the same level of difficulty. By the time you get to Andermatt, you'll be glad you didn't do it the other way.

This will be a great and wonderful ride for you. All the best!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #33
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Leg 4 - Davos to Andermatt through the stelvio

Leg 5 - Andermatt to Chamonix
Bussy posted this morning about the passes of Grimsel, Furka, Susten, and Nufenen still closed. Confirmed by this site: http://www.andermatt.ch/en/news/traffic-conditions-1

Since you're going through Andermatt to Chamonix in a few days, you should be ready for some alternatives. Looks like Furka is the only one you'll be concerned with. If the pass is closed, you can take the train from Realp through the mountain to Oberwald. From there you're good to go down the valley to Martigny.

Check here for Stelvio: http://www.alpineroads.com/passstatus.php
Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #34
Usernumbernine OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wicked Done it!

Thanks both RTLover and MichaelJ, your advice was invaluable and the trip went exactly as planned. Every single inch of it, apart from the odd deviation I did here and there to enter some light off road sections that looked inviting and I had never done any off roading before so I was a bit eager.

I will try and post a ride report but yes, one of the best experiences of my life. Amazing places, amazing bike, intense few days.

I also ended up doing it by myself and it was a brilliant way to spend some alone time.

'06 Ducati Sport 1000 Monoposto
'13 BMW R 1200 GS TE (bought but waiting for ze germans to deliver it)
Usernumbernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #35
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Thanks both RTLover and MichaelJ, your advice was invaluable and the trip went exactly as planned.
You obviously did something wrong.

Quote:
I will try and post a ride report...
And pics - we need pics.

Quote:
I also ended up doing it by myself and it was a brilliant way to spend some alone time.
The great thing about traveling solo is that there's only ONE person that you have to make happy.

One week from today and I will be in the air heading for Heidelberg and 3 mostly solo (there will be 3 days ridiing with others) weeks on my bike in the Alps.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #36
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks both RTLover and MichaelJ, your advice was invaluable and the trip went exactly as planned. Every single inch of it, apart from the odd deviation I did here and there to enter some light off road sections that looked inviting and I had never done any off roading before so I was a bit eager.

I will try and post a ride report but yes, one of the best experiences of my life. Amazing places, amazing bike, intense few days.

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together? Really chuffed for you. You're a gritty guy and I'm sure there will be more rides in the future, the NEAR future even.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #37
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,154
Quote:

+1 on the comments made by others - especially about posting a RR :p

I'm, personally, intrigued by the idea of picking up a brand new bike and heading off, almost immediately :-) . Last time I did that was 20 years ago but then it was only from Basingstoke to the Rock and Blues in Derby, nothing compared to your journey.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #38
c-m
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I've ridden to Cannes I few times from the UK.

First time I took Route Napoleon which was great fun.

The second time I took the Routes Des Grande Alps, which was also great fun.

For cheap camping and accommodation I would recommend staying in Antibes, or even Menton for easy access to Monaco.

Have fun. There's some great roads that way.
c-m is offline   Reply With Quote