Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Skibikejunkie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Replaced fork seals--where did I screw up?

Just replaced the seals on the Marzocchi Shiver fork on my Husky. I followed the steps in the service manual, and everything seems to be working fine, but for some reason the rebound damper doesn't seem to have a stop on the right leg. If I back the left leg out all the way, it will go in ~25 clicks before it stops. The right leg will keep on going (I haven't dared see if there's a limit, but it's more than 30 clicks).

My assumption on the mechanics of the system is that the damper rod gets pushed down further into the mechanism as the rebound gets dialed up. This probably closes off a valve, slowing oil flow through a port, thereby slowing rebound. The fact that the right leg isn't reaching a limit or at least not at the same rate as the left leg suggest to me that the damper rod isn't reaching the end of its travel from some reason. I just have no idea why.

Of course, this is all just speculation, and it could be something else entirely. All I know is I put everything back together to the proper torque specs and didn't have a "hmm, I wonder where this part was supposed to go" moment.

If anyone has any insights, I would love to hear them.

'05 Husky TC 250 (Marianne)
'05 VStrom 1000
Skibikejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
my guess is the damper rod isn't threaded into the top cap. Did you thread the rod to the top cap then the cap to the fork leg? I guess it would be easy to skip a step .

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
Skibikejunkie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
The fork cap must be screwed all the way down on the damper rod before the jamb nut it tightened against the fork cap.
Take it apart, screw the jamb nut all the way down the rod, install the fork cap all the way down till it bottoms and you'll see there's a little space left between the cap and nut.
If the cap's not all the way down, the clickers won't push the rod down far enough to fully engage the innards.
Also check the cap and make sure when you turn the clicker to the left (Unwind), that the pin that engages the rod retracts back up into the cap. Sometimes if you screw the clickers too far in the pin detaches itself from the turning mechanism.
As far as I can tell, there's not a separate jam nut. The damper rod threads into the top cap and gets torqued down before the top cap gets threaded into the slider and torqued. Here's an image from the service manual showing the relevant reassembly instructions. I can't figure out what I missed.

'05 VStrom 1000
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Skibikejunkie OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
The fork cap must be screwed all the way down on the damper rod before the jamb nut it tightened against the fork cap.
Take it apart, screw the jamb nut all the way down the rod, install the fork cap all the way down till it bottoms and you'll see there's a little space left between the cap and nut.
If the cap's not all the way down, the clickers won't push the rod down far enough to fully engage the innards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibikejunkie View Post
As far as I can tell, there's not a separate jam nut...
I'm an idiot. Jam nut was exactly the issue. Just had to remove fork cap, unwind the jam nut from the damper rod, reinstall fork cap, and then tighten jam nut back down. Everything's just as it should be now. Just need the delivery guy to show up with my new front tire, I'll mount that up, and be back in business.

'05 VStrom 1000
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
glad it was easy

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote