Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I love my KLX650c, but I hope you guys don't mind a little fact checking, since you brought it up.

That's mine, all of 390lbs with its 5 gal fuel tank. The only magazine test complete with a Dyno result, I have seen, shows 39.39 rwhp. More than a KLR but less than a BMW650. Stock fuel tank is 3.2 gallons and I had no trouble getting 150 miles out of it. It does respond pretty well to the typical carb/exhaust tricks. This one has a 680 big bore and probably makes close to 45hp.

I have ridden with both XRLs and DRZs. The Honda won't stay up with a KLX over long stretches of pavement, but it is better handling on dirt. The only suspension adjustment on the C version is preload on the rear shock. The XRL has more clearance and a shorter wheelbase. I did 800 miles of Nevada dirt with 2 DRZ's and they did just fine. They were having more fun over the sandy whoops than I was. They topped out at about 85mph. I was too scared to pass them.

Mine is a dual sport. Kawasaki did make a dirt version, similar but not the same. If you can license one in your state and don't mind kick starting, it only weighs around 358lb with fuel. You can still get an aftermarket 17 ltr fuel tank.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 03:17 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
HanShotFirst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I love my KLX650c, but I hope you guys don't mind a little fact checking, since you brought it up.

That's mine, all of 390lbs with its 5 gal fuel tank. The only magazine test complete with a Dyno result, I have seen, shows 39.39 rwhp. More than a KLR but less than a BMW650. Stock fuel tank is 3.2 gallons and I had no trouble getting 150 miles out of it. It does respond pretty well to the typical carb/exhaust tricks. This one has a 680 big bore and probably makes close to 45hp.

I have ridden with both XRLs and DRZs. The Honda won't stay up with a KLX over long stretches of pavement, but it is better handling on dirt. I did 800 miles of Nevada dirt with 2 DRZ's and they did just fine, easier handling over the sandy whoops. They topped out at about 85mph. I was too scared to pass them.

Mine is a dual sport. Kawasaki did make a dirt version, similar but not the same. If you can license one in your state and don't mind kick starting, it only weighs around 350lb with fuel. You can still get an aftermarket 17 ltr fuel tank.
Mine is sorta new to me…I owned it about 10 years ago for about a year. Rode it a bit, but not a lot. Little off road, little on road. I think 85mph (that I just got) was probably the fastest I’ve ever taken the bike. I’ve never had any complaints about its handling offroad, and regardless of what the specs are, I was rarely beat in an acceleration war; so whatever the specs are, it’s adequate. I’ve always read that it was rated at 47bhp at the crank which sounds about right…probably comes out to about what you say at the rear wheel. I put mine on a truck scale once with about 1/3 tank of gas and it was 381lbs IIRC…mine is a C model, o theoretically it should be a touch heavier. But also note mine wears NO accessories as seen on yours.

So back after a year of owning and riding the KLX, I had a total knee replacement. In rehab it was painfully (in more ways than one) obvious I would not get enough range of motion to put my feet on the pegs, so I sold it to my wife’s cousin. He rode it for about 3 years, it stopped and it sat outside since. Wouldn’t you know it…About 6 weeks after I sold it, magically the range of motion came back.

Last year I got it back from him in a trade. I cleaned it up, and put it in the garage and I’m just now getting around to checking it all out. So while I have ridden this exact bike ( and loved it) some, I feel completely new to it. And I’ll admit that when I had it before I didn’t do my due-dilligence to learn ANYTHING about it. Changed the oil, checked the chain/sprockets and just rode it. But now that it’s dead, my hand is forced.

But I’m taking up motorcycle maintenance as sort of a hobby. My kids who were either tiny or not born the first time I had it, are both (boy of 10, girl of 14) avid riders and never miss an opportunity to ride. My son literally rides every day of the week since he can ride around our house (live on 300 acres). So recognizing that either I’ll be putting a motorcycle mechanic’s kids through college, or I need to re-learn how to work on motorcycles (I maintained my own when I was a kid, but they were much more simple then).

So I got a barn find XT225 as a project bike that I’m doing for my daughter. It actually needs a little of just about everything done to it, so it’s a good bike to learn M/C repair on since most parts are fairly cheap and it’s a relatively simple bike.

But with the dead KLX, I now find myself with two project bikes. If you add in the ZZR-1200 I just picked up with broken plastic up front, I guess you can make that 3 project bikes. But the ZZR only has 4k miles on it, so mechanically it’s perfect; just cosmetics thank God.

I’m so glad I found ADVRider; what a fantastic forum, and a great group of guys.

By the way (hope this doesn’t offend anyone); but I’m a gunsmith, so if anyone has any questions along those lines, I’m always happy to share what I know.
HanShotFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368
I found that I can throw my Drz around much easier than I could on the L. The low thump a thump power just does not suit the "pinning it" situation. Not that you are going all that fast on a DRZ when you are pinning it.

DRZ seems easier to ride fast. Maybe my Dizzer is just setup well. My pig usually wants to kill me.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
I had an XR400 and then rode a DRZ and wasn't all too impressed. I then got an XR600 and rode that beast everywhere my buddies on their 2-stroke KTM's were. Sure it was big, but it just went anywhere. I then rode a DRZ again, thinking I'd like all the lights and stuff. It just didn't do it for me. Since then I've had all kinds of woods bikes, last was a 2010 Husaberg FE450. Believe it or not, it felt pretty beastly. Now I have a 2012 BMW G650GS Sertao (old dakar) and it is definitely a pig. It is great on pavement and wide open dirt roads, but everywhere else it is a pig. I know the XRL is referred to as "the pig", but I just bought a brand new one to replace the beemer and it feels like a mini-bike to me now. I love it! The trick I learned with the XR's is to rear wheel steer them. Uncorked they have plenty of power imop, so turning that piglet is no problem. I'm in the process of tweaking mine for a little more dirt friendly adventures and can't wait to hit the class 4 town trails around Vermont with it. I'm sure the DRZ is great, but the biggest reason I ride red is the proven engine and chassis. My BMW has had a couple of issues already and that has really pissed me off. I don't want EFI or water cooling or ABS...... I want the Honda 650. Change the oil and ride it.