ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,483
CannonTracks - NorthEAST Wisconsin Waterfall Tour

This is a 300 mile linear ride that takes in scenic waterfalls along the Wolf River, Marinette County, and Florence County. It varies from excellent winding pavement to rugged two tracks. I scouted and rode it on a Super Tenere so it is suitable for big adventure bikes. I would have really enjoyed much of this on a small-medium dual sport as some of the gravel and dirt can be sporty. Plenty of gas marked out along the route. This would be a nice overnighter. Plenty of camping in the region - some right along the rivers you visit.

Overview (Starts in Shawano and ends near Florence) 300 miles

Wolf River Segment - 65 miles.

Marinette County South - 115 miles.

Marinette County North - 39 miles.

Florence County Segment - 80 miles.

Lots of images of the waterfalls involved in this thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750076
Attached Files
File Type: gpx NE WI Waterfall Tour.gpx (131.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Gemik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
First - let me say Thank You Cannonshot for all the info you've posted over the years. Your reports are great. My question - we're hoping to ride this track Monday on a couple of big GSs and perhaps a K75, any sections you'd recommend we avoid? We're fine on gravel roads of course, but sand & rocks...

If you've still got the patience for another question - we'll also be riding thru the UP next week, from the Shipwreck museum West, up to Copper Harbor, thru Duluth, and up to the Gunflint Trail. The 4 day route you prepared earlier this year for the two guys looks great, but a little tuff for my noob skills on a big bike. Any recommendations on roads/routes along the south shore of Superior that aren't too sandy? Most of what I see on the east side looks so disconnected, I'm worried its really sandy.

Again, thanks for all the info you've already posted. The 2 routes in NW IL are great fun.
Gemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemik View Post
First - let me say Thank You Cannonshot for all the info you've posted over the years. Your reports are great. My question - we're hoping to ride this track Monday on a couple of big GSs and perhaps a K75, any sections you'd recommend we avoid? We're fine on gravel roads of course, but sand & rocks...

If you've still got the patience for another question - we'll also be riding thru the UP next week, from the Shipwreck museum West, up to Copper Harbor, thru Duluth, and up to the Gunflint Trail. The 4 day route you prepared earlier this year for the two guys looks great, but a little tuff for my noob skills on a big bike. Any recommendations on roads/routes along the south shore of Superior that aren't too sandy? Most of what I see on the east side looks so disconnected, I'm worried its really sandy.

Again, thanks for all the info you've already posted. The 2 routes in NW IL are great fun.
Thanks for the nice words.

You won't have any problem on this route. There is a little sand going out to Quiver Falls but it is a short section. If you run into soft gravel or sand, just take it easy and you'll be fine. There are no long soft stretches on this route.

Regarding the UP travel, if you stick to the big bike route for the UPAT you will be fine. Again, you may encounter a short piece of sand, but nothing too difficult.

Like to the UPAT big bike is here:

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20

I have some road routes that go over to Duluth and up the Gunflint that you can find here:

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic....344df770ee5461

http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Gemik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thank you very much Cannonshot. I'll give you an update after our ride next week.
Gemik is offline   Reply With Quote