User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Cainer OP
supern00b

Oddometer: 191
Luggage Rack Options for a TE610?

I was just wondering if anyone had experiences with any of the pannier racks for the TE610. I was considering adding some sort of rack for my bike to do some COBDR/UTBDR riding/camping and was basically just wondering what my best option is for luggage.

I was considering some sort of rear rack, like a Pro Moto Billet with pannier sides...but I was wondering if damage to the subframe would be a concern with any rack...and how much could I reasonably pack on such a rack? I basically just probably want to stick some Wolfman bags on the bike with my camping gear and put my tent and bag on the rear rack.

I know TCI makes these:
http://tciproductsusa.com/index.php?...th=144_155_156

But again, they look really heavy and I worry about the subframe people keep telling me is weak. I was considering buying the TCI ones and bracing them to the footpeg mount tabs for support with some sort of customization. That's actually the most robust idea I think I've considered, outside of simply fabricating something completely from scratch.

I'd love to get one of the TE630 racks from Wolfman to work on my TE610. That would probably be my preferred option if it helped support the weight and strengthened the subframe and was actually designed for the type of bags I want to put on it, but the Wolfman guys said it won't fit, so that's out I guess (unless anyone here knows some way to make that rack work on a TE610).

I've also considered the DirtBagz, but I'm not sure 15 liters per side would be enough space for a week of camping and I think that's their largest bag?. Maybe I need to pack lighter.

My other option is one of the wrap-around bags like the Great Basin Giant Loop, Coyote, etc. and I'm kind of leaning that direction right now, but I just really like the versatility of a real rack.

Any thoughts?
Cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Just get the Dirt Bagz, racks & Ranger (larger) bags.

No, it won't haul the kitchen sink, but you can just not pack the 1/2 of the stuff you don't really need.

Any excess weight on the rear of the subframe is going to take you down a bad road. I've seen it, multiple times. There are some great rack options out there, but none of them address the subframe "ear" points of failure.

I'd only consider using a tail rack if I first beefed up the subframe with bracing.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Cainer OP
supern00b

Oddometer: 191
Bracing the Ears

Do you have any specifics on where the rear subframe should be braced? Any examples of doing this?
Cainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainer View Post
Do you have any specifics on where the rear subframe should be braced? Any examples of doing this?
Best bets are the TE610 thread here, or look over on Cafe Husky. There are multiple examples.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Be creative. You don't need the big pannier racks. Just something flat to strap your tent and sleeping bag to. Just a 12x12 piece of alum plate with some holes in will work. Ask a construction crew if the have a damaged road sign. It can be free and works great.

Consider the Rollie system by Wolfman.

Look at finding a fender bag for the front, tank bag with tank panniers, something like the gaint loop or Wolfman coyote.
Build a tool tube for your skid plate. If you have the skill, build a tool box into an alum skid plate. (That's probably the single best luggage mod you can do to a long distance dirt bike, IMO)

Have a great trip!
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 945
I have the TCI Outback rack on the 630. It's a great design in that it transfers weight to the rear footpegs and offers a lot of luggage options. I think your idea of adding the braces to the Denali/Sequoia is a good one, may also want a cross brace in the back. Be aware, TCI's owner is looking for a buyer, may wind down the business (I hear). Here's some shots of my bike w/ various loads.

Latest setup with NewnerLoop bag for camping gear.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote