User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
CRF230F knowledge required

Girlfriend's just bought an '04 230F, riding it confirms that the stock 13/50 gearing (fitted) is too low which is what I've read. Not an issue as chain and sprockets need replacing, if I stick with the 50t rear, am I better off going for a 14t or 15t front? The terrain here, whilst not flat, is not difficult, mainly rolling hills.

The stock silencer baffle is in place but the airbox restrictor has been removed by the look of it, there's nothing to remove and I'm left with a rectangular hole measuring 4.75" x 2". I've heard of a Honda power-up kit for the carb (needle and jets) - anyone familiar with it? The bike sounds a lot better and feels crisper with the baffle out but is a little loud, I'll have a go at making a freer breathing version that's a little quieter.

Air filters: what's best?

Anything I've missed or should know about?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Girlfriend's just bought an '04 230F, riding it confirms that the stock 13/50 gearing (fitted) is too low which is what I've read. Not an issue as chain and sprockets need replacing, if I stick with the 50t rear, am I better off going for a 14t or 15t front? The terrain here, whilst not flat, is not difficult, mainly rolling hills.

The stock silencer baffle is in place but the airbox restrictor has been removed by the look of it, there's nothing to remove and I'm left with a rectangular hole measuring 4.75" x 2". I've heard of a Honda power-up kit for the carb (needle and jets) - anyone familiar with it? The bike sounds a lot better and feels crisper with the baffle out but is a little loud, I'll have a go at making a freer breathing version that's a little quieter.

Air filters: what's best?

Anything I've missed or should know about?
'

The 15t would help some. I have the coeshow jetting in mine. makes a huge improvment to the point your out powering the suspension. which is horrible. Im going with race tech to fix that up.

the 230 is a great bike for short arse people like me. I am going with a new high compression piston, web cam and rev box to try out.

I have my 230F plated for the road too. so I can ride to trails. gonna be fun!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

Thanks, ordered a 14t/49 sprockets from Talon today, they don't list a 15t front. I'll open up the carb soon to see if the power-up kit's fitted, I suspect it might be as the airbox restrictor is missing and the silencer baffle has been shortened and drilled straight through.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Thanks, ordered a 14t/49 sprockets from Talon today, they don't list a 15t front. I'll open up the carb soon to see if the power-up kit's fitted, I suspect it might be as the airbox restrictor is missing and the silencer baffle has been shortened and drilled straight through.
I did that to mine before the jetting as well. I was going to turn it into a mini adv tourer, but changed to a singletrack ripper....oh, if the stock pirellis are on it, junk em. they are garbage. I am very very fond of IRC vulcanduro tires...they ahve awesome grip and last A LONG TIME!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Possu OP
de-nOObed!

It came with a Michelin Comp IV front and a Michelin trials tyre on the rear which we'll try out but I have a used Comp 3 rear that might fit. The rear rim looks slightly wider, it's been replaced with an Excel rim.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
thumpnokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Forget the power up kit . . . as previoulsy mentioned Coeshow jetting recommendations are excellent.

120 main
45 pilot
Stock needle with clip in 4th groove from the top

With this setup, airbox and baffle mods make no noticable difference except for noise.
thumpnokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpnokie View Post
Forget the power up kit . . . as previoulsy mentioned Coeshow jetting recommendations are excellent.

120 main
45 pilot
Stock needle with clip in 4th groove from the top

With this setup, airbox and baffle mods make no noticable difference except for noise.
Im not sure i understand you correctly. CoeShow jetting is as good or better than the power up AND you leave the baffle and airbox stock?

how do you mean : "With this setup, airbox and baffle mods make no noticable difference except for noise."
ADVwanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
thumpnokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
Im not sure i understand you correctly. CoeShow jetting is as good or better than the power up AND you leave the baffle and airbox stock?

how do you mean : "With this setup, airbox and baffle mods make no noticable difference except for noise."
On Thumper Talk, there has been a lot of 230f jetting discussion. Mike Coe posts there under the name "coeshow". He had the opportunity to dyno his 230f with various jetting. That is how he came up with 120 main, 45 pilot combo being the best. He also noted that there was hardly any performance difference with snorkel and baffle removed.

I jetted mine per the coeshow recommendations which was a nice improvement over the stock jetting but I could never really feel any difference with or without the snorkel and baffle. It was just noisier without.
thumpnokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,780
14/45 still plenty low & will climb anything & can do 60+ on the slab.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote