ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #121
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer
 
nuttynu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: ANCHORAGE,ALASKA
Oddometer: 895
Hahah ! You guys are sure keeping busy before your trip.

While I'm here all nervous and just waiting and counting time till.
__________________

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #122
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 605
Ok so we are 11 days from leaving!!!

I am working on the path to take when I enter alaska.

This is when we enter alaska
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...sz=11&t=m&z=11



This is when we leave.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...&sz=11&t=m&z=5







I am still working on where to put on the knobbies at. Should I use the knobbies for the denali highway, or will the shinko 705s work?
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #123
isaac004
Studly Adventurer
 
isaac004's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 606
I'll be leaving in 16 days from LA, perhaps we will see you up there or on the way. White F800GS and a white XR650L. Ride safe!
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #124
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac004 View Post
I'll be leaving in 16 days from LA, perhaps we will see you up there or on the way. White F800GS and a white XR650L. Ride safe!
You should catch up to us. We are going slow.




Going to run out 1/2 worn tires out and mount the tires on the bike.
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #125
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Ok so we are 11 days from leaving!!!

I am working on the path to take when I enter alaska.

This is when we enter alaska
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E...sz=11&t=m&z=11



This is when we leave.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=C...&sz=11&t=m&z=5







I am still working on where to put on the knobbies at. Should I use the knobbies for the denali highway, or will the shinko 705s work?
I'll let you know what I think after I do the denali highway tomorrow. I'm going to run a heidhowyouspellit k60 rear and a kenda 270 front on a dr650. I have crap reception here, so would you tell me your bike and skill level?

For all those on the fence, this is the year. I feel so fortunate to have had the outstanding weather I've had. I know it might turn to crap tomorrow and the rest of the time I'm here, but I've had a great week of socal weather in Alaska. The locals I've spoken with say its the nicest weather they've had in years and that it means good weather should follow. Any inmates from AK have a take on this?
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #126
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
For all those on the fence, this is the year. I feel so fortunate to have had the outstanding weather I've had. I know it might turn to crap tomorrow and the rest of the time I'm here, but I've had a great week of socal weather in Alaska. The locals I've spoken with say its the nicest weather they've had in years and that it means good weather should follow. Any inmates from AK have a take on this?
And very very lucky you are! We had a cold Spring following our longest winter in recorded history, 232 days snowfall to snowfall.

In years past I've know riders who've come up in the rain, ridden around AK in the rain, and then gone home in the ever cold rain. Sad. Yep, good gear is important up here.

Continued good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #127
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 605
Well, it looks like we are leaving tomorrow! We were suppose to go to a wedding this saturday but it was just called off. Wohooo??!???
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #128
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Well, it looks like we are leaving tomorrow!
Cool.

Just a heads-up and not to say it'll still be this way by the time anybody else gets up here but we've been breaking high temp records all around the State this summer! Been getting visitors so ready for cold rainy weather forgot to advise maybe also bringing some lighter apparel just in case.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #129
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc View Post
Cool.

Just a heads-up and not to say it'll still be this way by the time anybody else gets up here but we've been breaking high temp records all around the State this summer! Been getting visitors so ready for cold rainy weather forgot to advise maybe also bringing some lighter apparel just in case.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
We can always take off our jackets and wear the underarmor if it is really hot

__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #130
Sidehil
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Federal Way WA
Oddometer: 21
Maybey we will bump into you, we launch Friday from W WA, going Big Dog style. 2 wr250's all wolfmaned out.
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #131
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 975
Just did the haul road. It destroyed a kenda 270 but was pretty easy. Plenty of dust in construction areas. Mosquitoes are BRUTAL in coldfoot- bring DEET and a head net. The food in coldfoot is awesome. If you meet a guy named Olaf with a huge chin beard, talk to him and buy him a beer- he's one cool dude.

Lighter bikes should be fine, but some loaded GSs said the calcium chloride mud was very bad. I guess the water trucks are over dumping water due to how dry it is lately. I didn't have an issue on a DR650 with a K60 rear and kenda 270 front.

Some asphalt, more gravel, and most hard packed dirt. Atigun pass was clear and in good shape. The run up is totally worth it for the brooks range and even the north slope which is unique in its vast emptiness. You will never see a city like deadhorse- no beauty all function. If you want to know anything else, just ask. Good luck guys and have a blast. I did, and now I'm going back down to valdez!
GSF1200S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #132
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer
 
ParaMud's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Orange, CA
Oddometer: 605
We are done. Natalie went off the road when she was adjusting something on her gear. A broken sholderblade and 3 ribs. Her bike is toast also. She is back home now. All this planning and practice rides and now no trip.


She went off on the 101 near San luis obispo. Was in the hospital for 3 days and we just got home last night. We were 200 miles from home at the time.

I am super depressed and glad she is ok. My klr is for sale.

We are going to wait for her to get comfortable and do a trip across the US in the car.
__________________
08 wr250r
04 xt225
ParaMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #133
GISdood
Studly Adventurer
 
GISdood's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
We are done. Natalie went off the road when she was adjusting something on her gear. A broken sholderblade and 3 ribs. Her bike is toast also. She is back home now. All this planning and practice rides and now no trip.


She went off on the 101 near San luis obispo. Was in the hospital for 3 days and we just got home last night. We were 200 miles from home at the time.

I am super depressed and glad she is ok. My klr is for sale.

We are going to wait for her to get comfortable and do a trip across the US in the car.
Sonuva.... My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. She'll be back on the bike before you know it!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #134
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,408
WOW, very sorry to hear! Glad she's not hurt any worse.

Here's to a quick and complete healing.

Take care, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #135
tobeknown
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Oddometer: 55
Not the attended outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
We are done. Natalie went off the road when she was adjusting something on her gear. A broken sholderblade and 3 ribs. Her bike is toast also. She is back home now. All this planning and practice rides and now no trip.


She went off on the 101 near San luis obispo. Was in the hospital for 3 days and we just got home last night. We were 200 miles from home at the time.

I am super depressed and glad she is ok. My klr is for sale.

We are going to wait for her to get comfortable and do a trip across the US in the car.
Very sorry to hear about your tragedy. This is something any rider can experience and maybe has, the chance we take for follow our dreams.

Must say that I am very sad you did not get the experience what you sought and I have have lived traveling over 160,000 miles on two KLR's. Much of this done two up with full gear and camping. This may sound insane, but I do hope you can get back in the saddle maybe riding two up to obtain the experience you had planned and dreamed about.

Best wishes and I hope you have a speedy recovery and get to peruse more adventures together, no matter what the are.......
tobeknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014