Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #601
mary
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
If you girls are done having babies and want the freedom of No more periods--I have 3 words for you --Endometrial Balloon Ablasia---got it done 4 years ago and wish I had done it 14 years ago---outpatient-insurance covered it and it doesn't affect your hormones or bring on menapause or anything...win win situation for me and my active life--no more nasty days of staying home and not being able to go when I want --not to mention what I save not having to buy all the girly time stuff
Endometrial Balloon Ablasia?!? Holly smokes!

I spent time "camping out" with the US Army in Iraq in 90-91 and thought dealing with the girl stuff in the desert was a pain but this sounds too much like torcher to me. I'll pass thanks. I'd rather deal with mother nature....
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #602
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
Endometrial Balloon Ablasia?!? Holly smokes!

I spent time "camping out" with the US Army in Iraq in 90-91 and thought dealing with the girl stuff in the desert was a pain but this sounds too much like torcher to me. I'll pass thanks. I'd rather deal with mother nature....
One could also take the extended cycle birth control pills, such as Seasonale, and avoid having a period every month. If I still had to worry about such things, I would certainly consider it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende..._contraceptive
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #603
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 243
Camping Success

Great solo riding vacation. 4 days riding and hiking, then to the AZ Adventure Rally for more fun. First solo camping totally successful, at Joshua Tree. Thanks for the comments!
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #604
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,839
I've had several friends who have had ablations. They describe the cramping as similar to a bad period, and done in about 3 days. Much better than years of agony, IMO.

Trip sounds like fun!
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #605
Penmeister
Portabella

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitana View Post
This is one of the main reasons I am so glad to have gone through menopause! There are lots of advantages to riding in one's 50's.
Oh yeah!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #606
SansSand
Dirty Smile

Oddometer: 52
If you are headed to the RA and new to dirt.

Calling all women GS riders going to the BMW RA Rally
If you are a woman or know a woman who wants to take her bike off pavement for the first time (or fairly new to this)…
We have a ride at the BMW RA Rally for you!
ALL MAKE Dual Sport bikes welcome.

Guest rider from the BMW Performance Center Liz Allen, will be on hand to host a brief riding clinic and join in on the ride.

Goal
Introduce women to off pavement. Increase confidence of women riding with support of other women.
When: Friday 9am June 21st
Where: GS Giant tent at BMW RA Rally
Who:. Women only. All levels welcome. Ride is geared to beginners (Limited availability first come basis)
Sign up: email rawmnride@gmail.com. We will keep an overflow list once ride fills up. All submissions will receive a response.

The ride:
Full day event with a break for lunch (riders pay for their own lunch)
100 miles gravel and paved roads with plenty of bail outs.
Do some, Do all! All roads are close to the rally.
Map and Instruction will come later to the signed up riders.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #607
NEredhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Vacation coming up.

Getting ready for my first solo vacation on my bike. Should have 4-5 days of riding time, come home, and then head out again for another couple of days. Hoping the weather will clear up and stay that way. Hasn't been overly welcoming for riding so far this spring.

Haven't decided exactly where yet. Will probably stick to surrounding states and just tour. No off road riding as I ride a Vstar.

Any suggestions/thoughts for a woman traveling solo?
NEredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #608
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,497
Take a riding partner! ;)
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #609
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
I really enjoy solo trips but I try to check into whatever hotel or other place I plan on staying for the night while it is still light. I've ridden as late at 11pm but by then I'm usually too tired and if I'm on my preferred secondary roads looking out for deer - elk whatever other critters that tend to cross the road after twilight is exhausting.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #610
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb packing for overseas touring - liners are good

Lots of good ideas are on the site, but I didn't see any suggestions for long range overseas travel, so here goes.

Research the climate you will be riding in so you take what you need. Rain in Morocco? Unlikely. Ireland? Skip the sun dress. Varied climates? Riding gear of Gore Tex is good. Wear a lightweight rain jacket/windbreaker on the plane and when off the bike. Use it for your windbreaker under the GoreTex (Klim) gear.

We're lucky to have a bike stored in Europe with Hepco & Becker side cases and a top case. We have the same on the bike in the US, so we pack our stuff into the same three liners we use in the states. That's our airline carry-on luggage. We pack the riding gear in a large padded roll around duffle. That's our one checked bag. Included in that duffel is a dry bag - rollup type - with some Rok Straps to secure it to the bike. That'll handle any T-shirts, etc., we buy along the way and it becomes the 4th carry-on for the flight home. Heavy souvenirs? Avoid them or ship them home.

Alternate plan: Find out what size cases will be on the bike(s) you will rent overseas. Make cardboard cartons to match the case sizes and pack your stuff into those cartons to make sure it all fits. You'll need case dimensions, not just 35 liters or whatever.

We sometimes leave the empty duffel at the beginning of the ride with a friend or a hotel. If we aren't returning to the start point, we use a cheap local shipper to send the duffel ahead to our ride's final destination hotel or at a friend's house where we will store the bike at the end of the ride. Be sure to let the hotel or your friend know teh duffel's on the way before you do this. Shipping the duffel from Cork to Paris cost us less than $25USD. Shipping it from Paris to Ljubljana is about $25USD. A good duffel costs over $115USD everywhere we have looked (Ireland, France, Andorra, Spain, Slovenia) in Europe, so shipping it around Europe has made sense thus far.

Make a few trial runs with your stuff packed and toss out most of it. My wife travels for 5-6 weeks with the right side case (40 liters 13.8h x 19.1w x 11.4d) and <1/2 of a topcase (35 liters 11.8h x 14.20w x 13d). I get the smaller 35 liter left side case and <1/2 of the top case. Gloves (have two kinds for each of you - warm and cool/cold weather ones), maps, hotel reservation confirmations, etc., and her very small purse go in the topcase. Yes, you can put all the reservation info onto a smart phone, but they fail - paper doesn't if kept dry.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #611
AnyDay
Wants more time off

Oddometer: 243
[QUOTE=NEredhead;21604509]Getting ready for my first solo vacation on my bike...Haven't decided exactly where yet. QUOTE]

Enjoy the freedom! Your own ride on your own time the best part of solo travel.

I like to plan, so I usually have an idea where I want to end up so I know my options for lodging or camping safely, but the route to get there I leave open. Sometimes you meet people along the way who know great roads you'd miss by being too stuck on a route.
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #612
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEredhead View Post
Getting ready for my first solo vacation on my bike. Should have 4-5 days of riding time, come home, and then head out again for another couple of days. Hoping the weather will clear up and stay that way. Hasn't been overly welcoming for riding so far this spring.

Haven't decided exactly where yet. Will probably stick to surrounding states and just tour. No off road riding as I ride a Vstar.

Any suggestions/thoughts for a woman traveling solo?
ENJOY the hell out of it!!!!! My favorite rides are solo (I love traveling with my friends too, but solo beats all for me!)
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #613
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
ENJOY the hell out of it!!!!! My favorite rides are solo (I love traveling with my friends too, but solo beats all for me!)

yup! I love riding by myself... turn wherever I want, stop and take pics w/o feeling like I hold anybody up, change my plans, and meet new folks.

I have two weeks in July...
Old 06-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #614
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,807
I love solo riding as well...
Don't get to take long trips solo that much anymore...
I steal them food shopping and take the long cool roads to the stores..

Enjoy your trip

Just always be aware of things around you when you stop...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #615
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,516
While you are all enjoying your solo ride I'm getting tired of doing my rides solo. I guess after 40 years of being solo most of the time I'm ready to share adventures with someone.

Enjoy those solo times because they are special and enjoy your time with those you love because those times are special too.

Happy riding ! ! !
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote